Quick Winona Question

3 hours ago, Owlrus said:

freeze-ray, watering bot, or repair/healing-drone

Agree with everything except these ideas for the extra invention. Crops can already give 1 or 2 seeds without attending to them at all, automatic watering for automatic giant crops shouldn't be added. Giant crops should be the reward for actually farming and just setting the plants down should only give the 36 per rigamajig that you plant.

I don't think a healing drone would fit thematically and would kind of make Wortox useless, unless it was so bad you may as well not make it.

Freeze ray I'm not 100% against but I think it would be a little weird. The ice flingo is already the freeze ray.

Maybe she could make a thumper that periodically frightens enemies to make them less dangerous as the catapults chip at them? That still is the same combat role as her catapults (albeit more defensive instead of offensive) but it would fit thematically and not step on anyone's toes. Hard to think of good ideas for new inventions.

So...am I the only one here who plays as Winona because I just...like...her?

familychilling.png.c478a0afefc12345c765f0ae7661e2e7.png

I mean, I realise full well that this is not the thread for people who pick characters just because they like their personality and/or style--this is more about min/maxing and such, for bosses and The Endgame.  Still, "I picked (blank) because I just like them" IS _a_ reason people pick characters, sometimes.

...Notorious

15 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

I mean, I realise full well that this is not the thread for people who pick characters just because they like their personality and/or style--this is more about min/maxing and such, for bosses and The Endgame.  Still, "I picked (blank) because I just like them" IS _a_ reason people pick characters, sometimes.

...Notorious

I don’t think a characters “End-Game” has anything to do with how fun they Are.

One of my favorite things in Solo DS was the Divining Rod it was a fun little device that helped you find Wooden thing parts to get to the next level of Adventures Mode.

The Divining Rod wasn’t in DST until Wendys Rework which Helping Pipspook find lost stuff works almost identically to how that worked, so during this rework my favorite character, got made even more my favorite character.

When it comes to Winona I just feel she has all the right tools/perks but they much like some other characters- Wurt, Willow.. could use some Tweaks.

Her trusty tape repairs several things, but her being a mechanic and all working in a factory for Wagstaff, she should be able to recognize & repair his contraptions.

My grandfather worked at a Cotton Mill, he was the most dedicated worker there.. he knew the in’s and outs of every machine & when they broke, he was called in to fix them.. he was also so skilled at this job that he was able to demand more pay or the machines don’t get fixed cause no one else was able to fix them.. 

Winona seems to be a lot more then just an average factory worker, to me she seems more like my Grandpa- As in she worked at a place for so long she knows the in’s & out’s and if something breaks how to fix it.

Her Vignettes even show her most the time repairing things…

I was really hopeful Klei would give her something like being able to repair burnt structures maybe even with a cool wenching, hammering, blow torch animation etc that takes a few seconds but sure as heck beats hammering down the destroyed object, getting half the materials back out of it and re-crafting it.

I like Winona as a character.. but she could use a little more going for her.

8 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

...Notorious

I totally agree with the idea that simply liking a character is a good enough reason to play them, however that shouldn't be the only reason to play as them imo. This actually bring up a good point. I'd argue that the only people who pick Winona and stay as her only do so because they like her personality and looks. She has no functionality outside of things that can exist with or without her, and so for that reason she has no functional reason to keep playing as her.

Take me and Webber for example. As blasphemous as this may be to most of you, I do not like Webber as a character all that much. His personality doesn't speak to me, and he doesn't look how I would want a character to look. Would I play as him? Absolutely! His gameplay is fun and engaging enough to make me want to play as him, and I have in fact. With Winona, who is another character that I don't find all that interesting, I would build some catapults and then switch off as quick as possible. I don't think it should be like that. I think that all characters should have prolonged functional appeal as well as personality appeal.

1 hour ago, CaptainChaotica said:

...Notorious

i dont care about how characters deal with bosses or end game or whatever, i care about having unique characters with unique charisma and mechanics, while winona has a cool personality, her gameplay is basically wilson and we have enough of that kind of bland characters with wx, wicker or wilson

6 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

...Notorious

I mean, that's why a lot of players are Wanda-mains now, because there are reasons to like her, and that's not only just unique gameplay mechanics... Same for Wilson, WX, Wes, etc.

I won't force myself to play useful characters if I don't want to, it's just a game. And if people don't like that I set higher priority for fun than for usefulness... well, go play Genshin Impact or smth, I suppose.

Archived