You can disinfect with Glowstick Dupes.

A few days ago I encountered a problem inside my base, a Slimelung problem (was playing on a marshy and swamp asteroid and I wanted to save sand for later, so very minimal usage of deodorizers). I noticed that there was just a cloud of slimelung infecetd pO2 sitting at the bottom of my base. I started building deodorizers and stuff and then I rememberred something, radiation kills germs. So i came up with a stupid idea, what happens when a glowstick duplicant goes into some germs. I ordered Leira to go there and to my surprise after clicking F9, I saw that germs dissapeared. You do need to move a duplicant a few (depending on the ammount of germs) times there, but after that you have clean air, no germs whatsoever. You can even do this on larger scale but it would take much more time. You can even disinfect clean water pool once one cleaver dupes decides to pee into water tank. I don't exactly what affects the rate, but it works mostly when there aren't much germs on the thing you want to disinfect. Funny thing is that Leira didin't even get Slimelung, guess it was not enough for them. But yeah it's a good strategy when somehow you have got food poisoning on your food or a small cloud of slimelung.

Radiation disinfection works really well in rockets too. I haven't tested much the spacefarer module but for the solo spacefarer nosecone, having an outhouse inside, doesn't mean that the dupe will return full of germs. Even the fridge stays sterile in less than a cycle. But having a couple Glowstick dupes, would be fun digging up slime it seems :lol:

Ahhh of course space radiation in rockets, wow how haven't I thought of this. About digging up slime, it doesn't work so well, they just don't die off as quickly, I don't know if mass for example changes the killrate, but I think germ kills/rads is constant (for example for every 10 rads 250 germs die off), because disinfecting one big 5t debries takes a while, and if you split it into 5 it would take only 1/5 of that. I think that's how it works, but yeah it's not % based. Also glowstick dupes are awsome, always +15% to wrok speed from light, +33% radiation resistance (when combined with lead siuts it jumps to 100% i think, why does it work like that, percentages don't work like that), and you can do stuff like that with them.

So you're saying I can lock a glowstick dupe in my polluted water take and drop food in via conveyor chutes and he'll disinfect the water, including his own inevitable pee?  Not that I would ever do such a thing; I treat my dupes very kindly...but hypothetically, I could?

5 hours ago, goboking said:

So you're saying I can lock a glowstick dupe in my polluted water take and drop food in via conveyor chutes and he'll disinfect the water, including his own inevitable pee?  Not that I would ever do such a thing; I treat my dupes very kindly...but hypothetically, I could?

Basically, yes. There are better options but you can do it.

I've been using shine bugs to combat slimelung.  I put my food storage on a metal tile of depleted uranium.  That offers just enough radiation to keep food poisoning off my berry sludge.  And I used a strategically planted wheezewort to wipe out some zombie spores (completely unnecessary, they didn't present any danger, done simply because I could).

I placed my food fridges right beside wild weezwort, I've done this for freezing, but I thought later that it is also good against germs.

I think it is way easier to do the same for slimes or anything else you want to disinfect, than using glowstick dupe anyways... But if you don't have weezwort or shine bugs, than it's a nice option. Only - but - that you don't get glowstick dupe frequently... In more than 700 hours of play I saw it once.

On 12/22/2021 at 9:17 PM, NewWorldDan said:

I've been using shine bugs to combat slimelung.  I put my food storage on a metal tile of depleted uranium.  That offers just enough radiation to keep food poisoning off my berry sludge.  And I used a strategically planted wheezewort to wipe out some zombie spores (completely unnecessary, they didn't present any danger, done simply because I could).

shine bugs seems useful yes, but not only for slimelung for example if you add 1 shine bug to toilet room, it clean germ at there as well

Archived