New to DLC

New to DLC here, finished the base game (temporal rift)

I understand rocketary is meant to be early/mid game.

My enclosed telescope has a limited scan range, only 1 planetoid found.

This planetoid has a tough, uranium crust.

I send a rover, but it can't dig into the crust.

I send a refined metal payload, but the rover can't construct the platform.

I send a dupe in a trailblazer, but he builds the platform and then dies from suffocation.

Any help with early game rockets landing on another planet? - with a tough crust?

Yea that's kind of rough, I'd forget about making a landing pad 1st. I mostly send 2 dupes in a rocket, land one on the planetoid. Dig down quickly to an area that has some oxygen. Build a door or liquid lock so the air oxygen doesn't all go into space. Then you can worry about the landing pad. The 2nd dupe that's been in the rocket can either chill there for a bit or come back when you have a landing pad.

Just thought of something else, if you can bring a full oxygen mask, or an atmo suit along with you. Either wear it while boarding and take it off when inside, or put one in a storage bin inside the rocket. And equip the suit be dropping the dupe off at the new place. Should give you some more added time.

1 hour ago, gabberworld said:

landing platform is stupid anyway, i never hear before that when our NASA goes to moon, that they first start build the landing platform at there

But they also didn't land the full rocket, they sent a trailblazer module with the ability to relaunch.

I send a dupe in a trailblazer, but he builds the platform and then dies from suffocation.

This works when you're fast enough. You can send two dupes and two modules. Deconstructing them gives you enough metal for a landing pad

On 11/27/2021 at 4:09 AM, Zarquan said:

But they also didn't land the full rocket, they sent a trailblazer module with the ability to relaunch.

Yeah trailblazers should be able to relaunch and be caught by the rocket that sent them.

On 11/27/2021 at 12:55 AM, doomchicken said:

Any help with early game rockets landing on another planet? - with a tough crust?

It`s different in different starts. Some starts have the closest planetoid useless for the rover. That`s something that shouldn`t happen imo. The regular starts had a planetoid easily minable by the rover so ti could prepare a small base for the dupe so he doesn`t ouright die when landing.

While the rover can`t construct the platform it can deliver the refined metal to the construction which helps a lot. If your rocket has breathable atmosphere the dupe can be there without an atmo suit. I usually order them to remove the suit once in the rocket. Then right before deploying in the traiblazer reequip the suit so the dupe has some more time.

The rocket in orbit can land without a dupe on board if there`s a landing pad constructed. You don`t need 2 dupes to land it. Once the pad is done it`s easy from there.

Send dupe landing party with atmo suits on. Problem solved! Also you can let robot unpack metal first and make it deliver to landing platform and when everything is ready to be constructed just send dupe on surface and done!

Alternatively, you could send down a payload of materials such that the dupe can build their own temporary breathable area.  I'm thinking a small quantity of water/petroleum for a small liquid lock, raw minerals or metal ore (depending on if you need to move the oxylite or deoxidize algae), and some oxylite or algae would do well (if your dupe is a miner).  If you have an area with background, you could have the rover do most of it for you.

I've taken to avoiding atmosuits because I find it an interesting challenge to figure out how to do things safely without them.

I had my 1st rocket deploy a rover and metal+mineral payloads. Let the rover deconstruct all the bullets and gather materials in a storage bin built next to your planned landing spot. Then build a ladder of height ~10 for dupes to reach rocket. Send a 2nd rocket with a trailblazer assigned to a dupe with tier 3 building skill, and another dupe with piloting skill. Land the trailblazer next to your bin & ladder and let the builder make a platform. Land the rocket so the builder can quickly get in to breathe. This works perfectly every time for me.

On 11/26/2021 at 4:55 PM, doomchicken said:

You can put a telescope on your rocket to explore further.  Maybe you will find a more favorable asteroid.

Archived