How does Maxwell know about superglue?

You know how they claim that “higher intelligence has been guiding us by giving us knowledge we otherwise wouldn’t know?”

Okay well IF Aliens, Spiritual guides, time travelers, god himself etc… was giving our ancestors (Aka cave people) knowledge they wouldn’t give them ALL of the Knowledge.. what’s that saying again-

Oh yeah too much knowledge leads to ones own self corruption.

pretty sure that’s what it means, basically if Aliens were giving us advanced knowledge they wouldn’t want us to be idiots and blow up our planet with ufos and space lasers (or err something like that)

In short: we only know what we’re allowed to know, same rules applies to Maxwell, Wilson and now Charlie… who have all been on the shadow throne.

There’s this that explains everything actually.

Not only does he clearly say they teach him things… but as soon as you free him he turns to bones then nothing but dust.

This game as much as Klei wants to hide it NOW with DST: Has always been creepy, Awkward and Weird…

Not your cutesy fishing contests in a fantasy realm.

10 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I think the problem with that theory is that Wilson entered the constant in 1921 and shortly thereafter freed Maxwell. It would be kind of hard for Them to tell Maxwell about something that hadn't happened yet.

As omnipotent as they appear, there arent any hints to pointing Them to be able to foresee the future. Otherwise Wes wouldn't of been caught and Wanda wouldn't have been able to eluded them.

1 hour ago, HowlVoid said:

I think the problem with that theory is that Wilson entered the constant in 1921 and shortly thereafter freed Maxwell. It would be kind of hard for Them to tell Maxwell about something that hadn't happened yet.

- "Shortly" is a big assumption.

- Time "moves differently" in the Constant—Wouldn't be surprising to hear that these Eldritch God level beings like Them don't perceive time like we do. They might be aware of the beginning and the end simultaneously. Not a rare trope for things of that class.
EDIT: Wanda is a walking example. She knows about stuff that hasn't happened yet and that's due to a power she got from Them.

1 hour ago, Zeklo said:

- "Shortly" is a big assumption.

I think its a pretty educated guess given that in the constant the time between 1921-1951 could be hundred of constant years. I was going off "real time".

- Time "moves differently" in the Constant—Wouldn't be surprising to hear that these Eldritch God level beings like Them don't perceive time like we do. They might be aware of the beginning and the end simultaneously. Not a rare trope for things of that class.

This would be an assumption as well. Given that maxwell had no idea that Wes was going to walk into that alley its safe to assume They don't give Maxwell knowledge on the future even if they have it.

Also I think that They are not as omnipotent as some assume them to be, the moon maybe, but they have had too many short comings imo. They for one could not foresee the queen of the ancients foiling their plans.

EDIT: Wanda is a walking example. She knows about stuff that hasn't happened yet and that's due to a power she got from Them.

Not necessarily, I think Wanda deserves some credit for her own contraptions. She is the one who builds them after all. Its not clear just how much power she actually borrows of them, but I think its safe to assume some of her power is of her own doing as well.

4 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Not necessarily, I think Wanda deserves some credit for her own contraptions. She is the one who builds them after all. Its not clear just how much power she actually borrows of them, but I think its safe to assume some of her power is of her own doing as well.

Wanda's case is pretty concrete actually.

She's been to future's we haven't seen (whether by her own right or not), and the shadows continue to chase her regardless. It's most certainly within their power.

23 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Wanda's case is pretty concrete actually.

She's been to future's we haven't seen (whether by her own right or not), and the shadows continue to chase her regardless. It's most certainly within their power.

It's not as concrete as you think. 

Firstly take a look at Wanda's short, she isn't time traveling she is moving through space. The watch she uses is the backtrek watch she isn't time traveling in the short at all and this is very important.

Secondly, the watch that breaks is the bactrek watch causing an anomaly to occur that allows wanda to see the different timelines. The bactrek watch is not responsible for time manipulation, that's the ageless watch, what wanda is seeing is the "multiverse" of dst and then she falls in the current one we play in. aka she broke "space".

All of the quotes I have seen of hers make the distinction between timelines in the dst universe and not future predictions (please point to one that does). Such as, saying that this is a timeline in which the ancient guardian exists. Return of them had already finished before Wanda's introduction, she saw that boss within all the "present" timelines.

Finally, Wanda is very confused most of the time due to the side effect of the ageless watch. When you think about it, every time she regresses she is also "destroying" all her memories up to what ever age she stops at. I have a theory that this is why she doesn't go past age 20, she will lose very important knowledge of her own perks. She is constantly surprised by the passage of time and that is because she keeps having to relive most of her life.

33 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

she isn't time traveling she is moving through space. 

She is most definitely moving across timelines, and if she goes from Day 50 in one timeline to Day 1 in another—that's time travel.

"Oh botheration, THIS timeline again..."

"Ah... it looks like I'm in the bad timeline again."

"You were much more polite in the last timeline."

It's not just information she got from the clock breaking, she has actively travelled between timelines. She has been in them—experienced them. Key word there is 'again', and the last two literally uses the word 'in'. It's why we get weird quotes like "I think I was supposed to tell you something, now what was it..." Telling someone something about the present in a different timeline is pointless, but something from the future? Invaluable.

She is specifically, "tangled up in the Constant's timestream"—direct quote from her lore videos description.

31 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

She is most definitely moving across timelines, and if she goes from Day 50 in one timeline to Day 1 in another—that's time travel.

That logic is actually flawed because if you go to the past of a timeline that isn't yours, the past may not necessarily be the same shared past. You could travel to a different timeline where the world is conquered by hitler, the concept of past and future would then be an arbitrary guess as you don't have a point of reference. Even knowing the "date" in that timeline could potentially be inaccurate from your own as the era where "time" was conceived may have happened sooner or later from your own time line.

So even if Wanda knows the "future" it would be different from each timeline, either slightly or completely.

Given that she has no point of reference and that tied to the fact that she may or may not have control where she lands, means Wanda just has a mess on her hands. I far as Im concerned though she is only traveling through space and not time.

Other words "time travel" may be perceived but not actually the case.

It's not just information she got from the clock breaking, she's has actively travelled between timelines.

On another note, this isn't proof of time travel, especially if she keep forgetting what timeline she is in due to reversing time on herself. Klei can be trying to deceive you on purpose. 

She has been in them—experienced them. Key word there is again, and the last two literally uses the word in. It's why we get weird quotes like "I think I was supposed to tell you something, now what was it..." Telling someone something about the present in a different timeline is pointless, but something from the future? Invaluable.

She is specifically, "tangled up in the Constant's timestream"—direct quote from her lore videos description.

That's the thing, I think its because she is erasing her own memories. She isn't just de-aging, she is completely reverting time for herself. She is going to forget things of course, she is confused. She has yet to point to anything in the future.

Well anyways we are straying from the main point. That being that I don't think Maxwell has any knowledge of the future. He either herd superglue from Wanda (convinient excuse for a plothole) or the devs did an oops (My guess).

17 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Okay well IF Aliens, Spiritual guides, time travelers, god himself etc… was giving our ancestors (Aka cave people) knowledge they wouldn’t give them ALL of the Knowledge.. what’s that saying again-

someone has been watching too much History/Discovery Channel... 

an advice, that something is on the tv doesnt make it real, there is liers making money by telling tales as if was a real thing

im gonna asume that this has 0 lore impact and is just klei not knowing when glue was stating to be produced. Imagine reserching dates, new, discories, etc to be sure that the 100% of quotes from each character is scientifically or historical accurate...

DST lore will always be messy, I mean are events like Hallowed Nights canon? Or are they just Klei having fun with ideas and letting the survivors have a little fun?

If you want my opinion the constant in canon is absolutely unforgiving, and the survivors are struggling, but barely pulling through together.

Archived