Cool Steam Vent + AETN (Oxygen Cooling) - Question

hello everyone! i’m pretty new to the game. looked for this all over for the last hours but couldn’t find any information.

my base is running low on oxygen atm. i have a cool steam vent somewhat near to the left of my base. i also found two really close aetn to the right of my base. i was wondering if it would be possible to cool down the oxygen to around 25 degrees and bring it back to my base. do i even need the two aetns to do this?

i was planning to use an electrolizer to do this, as it would sustain both the hydrogen to fuel the aetn and the oxygen i’m planning to breathe. the excess hydrogen would be used to generate energy.

is it possible? can aetn cool it down to the right temperature?

One AETN can condense a little over 1 kg/s of steam from the cool steam vent to 95°C water. That will run one electrolyzer full time.

You can then use the other AETN to cool down the 95°C oxygen that it outputs. Cooling the oxygen is more effective than cooling the water. It should be able to get it to 25°C easily.

This will provide cool oxygen for... almost 9 dupes :).

I recommend setting up the oxygen cooling system first as the cool steam vent probably has a lot of condensed water around it already. There's a lot that can go wrong. It will probably take many tries to get the condenser working reliably if you're new to the game.

Calculations:

80kDTU/s cooling per AETN ÷ 4.179kDTU/°C/kg water = 19.14°C cooling for 1kg/s water from one AETN

80kDTU/s ÷ 1.005kDTU/°C/kg oxygen = 79.6°C cooling for 1kg/s oxygen from one AETN

made some tests in sandbox before coming back to read the comments.

in fact i can't pipe this steam. sad.

i'm trying a setup like this:

1. i pipe hot water to a room and turn into oxygen + hydrogen

2. i use a frog (this gas separator thing) to send oxygen into aetn chamber and hydrogen to power the aetn itself. the excess hydrogen is sent to power up hydrogen energy generators.

this is were i get the problem: i can't seem to make the oxygen get stable (between 20 and 30) to pipe it out in any way...

i managed to do it!!! it's a *bit* complicated and uses a LOT of logic. but it works like this:

1. pipe hot water and turn it into oxygen + hydrogen

2. split the gas: oxygen goes into aetn chamber, hydrogen goes to power the machine. excess of hydrogen turns into energy, excess of oxygen turns into whatever (remember it's HOT)

3. inside the refrigeration chamber you build two logic temperature sensors. one check for above 23 C, one check for below 27 C.

now the logic starts:

----- a. if BOTH are true (AND port), you have good oxygen. pipe it into your base.

----- b. if BOTH are false you made something wrong (probably vacuum)

----- c. if ONLY ONE of them is true (XOR port), you don't pipe and make a check:

---------- i. ONLY ONE true (XOR) and over 23 C TRUE (you get AND), oxygen is too hot. you turn the aetn on.

---------- ii. ONLY ONE true (XOR) and below 27 C FALSE (you get AND), oxygen is too cold. you pipe hot gas into the chamber.

i have a free renewable oxygen system that runs whenever my steam vent produces hot water and also a free energy system that seems to work.

has anyone seen any flaw on this? if it really works i can try to make a video that explain all the logics (how to turn the machines on/off with logic and etc)

i just don't know the better materials. i have to get hot water near the aetn. insulated liquid pipes. what material is better to mantain heat? (it would be good if it also didn't overheat the exterior)

i also want to isolate the aetn and the eletrolyzer chamber so they doesn't transfer their excess hot/cold to the outside.

last but not least i need a way to get rid of the possible excess of oxygen that may get trapped into any chamber and overpressurize it... maybe create some gas tanks and throw oxygen on it?

thanks for the tutorial! i'll sure take a look at it.

atm the setup i made is working and i'm very proud of myself... so i'll probably let it be until it breaks (and i hope it doesn't)

this is my current setup and how logic works!

the blue pipe is outgoing oxygen to my base. the small room to the right deletes extra oxygen that manages to sneak into my system.

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 17.37.30.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 17.38.25.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 17.39.32.png

10 hours ago, carralas said:

thanks for the tutorial! i'll sure take a look at it.

atm the setup i made is working and i'm very proud of myself... so i'll probably let it be until it breaks (and i hope it doesn't)

this is my current setup and how logic works!

the blue pipe is outgoing oxygen to my base. the small room to the right deletes extra oxygen that manages to sneak into my system.

You are trying to turn off AETN by stopping hydrogen flow. But. AETN consumes just 10 g/s, and there are 3 pipe segments between Shutoff and AETN, so there can be 3 kg of hydrogen in pipes. As result, AETN continue to work for 300 seconds after.

This is not bad, if you are ready for such scenario.

One useful trick in this game: Most buildings (including AETN) doesn't work if they are not on stable platform. Automatic airlock can be used as stable platform. Replace part of floor under AETN with airlock and you can turn on/off AETN by opening/closing this door

most perfect scenario, when your AETN work 100% of time. To achieve this, better build combo from AETN and aquatuner. Something like:

drop small amount of petroleum or naphta to aetn, put radiant liquid pipes there, and then build AT (with steam turbines). From AT liquid (polluted water, or super coolant) going into tank, and with liquid-pipe-thermo sensor you can disable-enable AT. Of course, you need to produce more heat, then AETN remove.

Rather than pump oxygen to the AETN, let it cool, then pump it again to send it elsewhere, it is better to use liquid pipes filled with cold polluted water to move the heat around.  Loop some radiant liquid pipe around the AETN so it cools the water ( and seal that up in a room full of hydrogen to best conduct the heat from the water to the AETN ). Then next to your electrolyzers, build a heat exchanger.  A 4x4 or so of granite tiles with both radiant liquid pipes and gas pipes snaked through it, surrounded by insulated tiles.  Cold water keeps the granite cold, and the granite chills the oxygen as it passes through.  Use an automatic door under the AETN to disable it if the hydrogen gets too cold ( don't want the water in the pipes to freeze ).

Then later when you build an AT+ST you can easily switch the water loop to that for cooling instead of the AETN.

i'd like to thank everyone so much for all the helping tips! i'll try to answer everyone:

On 9/2/2021 at 8:34 AM, degr said:

most perfect scenario, when your AETN work 100% of time. To achieve this, better build combo from AETN and aquatuner. Something like:

drop small amount of petroleum or naphta to aetn, put radiant liquid pipes there, and then build AT (with steam turbines). From AT liquid (polluted water, or super coolant) going into tank, and with liquid-pipe-thermo sensor you can disable-enable AT. Of course, you need to produce more heat, then AETN remove.

i'm sure this setup works waaaay better but i'm still pretty new at the game and also pretty early in my base. i do not have access to materials like plastic and pretoleum yet, nor do i have material that can handle extreme temperature fluids... maybe later in the game i can transition my setup into that one. i'm still trying to do something that works for the moment i'm currently into.

On 9/2/2021 at 4:25 AM, Prince Mandor said:

You are trying to turn off AETN by stopping hydrogen flow. But. AETN consumes just 10 g/s, and there are 3 pipe segments between Shutoff and AETN, so there can be 3 kg of hydrogen in pipes. As result, AETN continue to work for 300 seconds after.

This is not bad, if you are ready for such scenario.

One useful trick in this game: Most buildings (including AETN) doesn't work if they are not on stable platform. Automatic airlock can be used as stable platform. Replace part of floor under AETN with airlock and you can turn on/off AETN by opening/closing this door

that would absolutely be excelent. i can turn off aetn easier. i'm not sure if you noticed but i also have a valve that only allows 10 g of hydrogen at that point... does it make any sense?

On 9/2/2021 at 4:00 PM, psusi said:

Rather than pump oxygen to the AETN, let it cool, then pump it again to send it elsewhere, it is better to use liquid pipes filled with cold polluted water to move the heat around.  Loop some radiant liquid pipe around the AETN so it cools the water ( and seal that up in a room full of hydrogen to best conduct the heat from the water to the AETN ). Then next to your electrolyzers, build a heat exchanger.  A 4x4 or so of granite tiles with both radiant liquid pipes and gas pipes snaked through it, surrounded by insulated tiles.  Cold water keeps the granite cold, and the granite chills the oxygen as it passes through.  Use an automatic door under the AETN to disable it if the hydrogen gets too cold ( don't want the water in the pipes to freeze ).

Then later when you build an AT+ST you can easily switch the water loop to that for cooling instead of the AETN.

okay, i got a bit confused with this one. i should let my oxygen cool by itself somewhere else then pump it to my base? and use the aetn to create a refrigeration system? if that's the case i have a second aetn right next to this one to do this. if that's not the case i didn't fully get it, sorry...

On 9/4/2021 at 12:05 PM, carralas said:

okay, i got a bit confused with this one. i should let my oxygen cool by itself somewhere else then pump it to my base? and use the aetn to create a refrigeration system? if that's the case i have a second aetn right next to this one to do this. if that's not the case i didn't fully get it, sorry...

I think the point was that currently you have to pump the gas twice, and sometimes wait for it to cool in between. If you use some sort of coolant loop and heat exchanger setup you can cool the gas while it's still in the pipes, and once you get it set up right it will work continuously with no added power cost.

It's a good next step if/when you want to upgrade and make it put out more oxygen. An efficient setup could even have two pumps running continuously in the electrolyzer room.

On 9/4/2021 at 3:05 AM, carralas said:

i'm not sure if you noticed but i also have a valve that only allows 10 g of hydrogen at that point... does it make any sense?

It is good in some cases, but not perfect. If you turn off Shutoff, what happens with this 10g/s packets? They will accumulate at Shutoff creating large packet. So, this became not 3 kg, but 2 kg (one at Shutoff entrance, one at Valve exit), so this is 200 seconds delay.

To make it like you want, you need another way for this packets, if they cannot enter closed Shutoff. It can be done, but I'm away from computer and cannot make screenshot. You just need a pipe to continue past Shutoff entrance, and loop it back to Valve, or pass it to Hydrogen Generator.

Door trick is more simple

Archived