Easy to build freezer for sterile vaccum atmosphere and deep freeze buff, so no constant heat transfer.

I say late game, because it requires Conveyor Rail Thermo Sensor (T6 so you need orbital and rad research tech) Its much easier to get quicker on base game.

But its still easy enough to get sub 200 Cycles. (ignore the stale/fresh in the pics, just moved all food from a fridge).

Food gets dumped in Freezer, put on conveyor rail until chilled to -20, then dropped into dupe accessible water vaccum lock.

The power upkeep is probably very minimal, once freezer is chilled (HVAC thermo sensor is set to -24)

1091610431_2021-07-2514_49_12-OxygenNotIncluded.thumb.png.190d9008299c37c0bc5f5ab1ed0bf893.png

1219883954_2021-07-2514_49_49-OxygenNotIncluded.thumb.png.fbc2b6c71ed5eeadf47b4a6325425a77.png

1510768012_2021-07-2514_50_18-OxygenNotIncluded.thumb.png.102d9332f0f648fcc806f98e8bed9dc0.png

1797501457_2021-07-2514_51_22-OxygenNotIncluded.thumb.png.c3c0ceefb15ab70f633fe49fbe9a7af1.png

1756207304_2021-07-2514_51_44-OxygenNotIncluded.thumb.png.13e4fc98f4662677f6e74fb96fc25803.png

1 hour ago, Timotheeee1 said:

much easier to make a double liquid lock and dump the food in a hydrogen box with 2 wheezes

Stacked food takes longer to cool due to added mass, thus you could be in a situation where constant new food prevents you from cooling fast enough to avoid spoilage, plus introducing all your dupes to that sweet sweet radiation every cycle unnecessarily. But besides that yeah I guess.

I also don't like giving my dupes soggy feet / sopping wet debuffs via double water locks.

Food cools very fast inside aluminum tiles. 1kg of food(weight of cooked portion) is cooled from 30 to -45 while moving around wheezeworts, then it is stored in a vacuum on airflow tile. Screenshot is from the base game, but I don't see why it wouldn't work in DLC. Maybe need to move it a bit because of the radiation. Two domesticated wheezeworts(they don't need phosphorite because of bug usage) is overkill. I cooked a lot of food, yet they don't do anything most of the time because temperature is already at minimum.

freezer.png

More like a rudiment. I didn't know what design would work, so food in theory could be stored in a room behind two water locks. Height of locks would be increased to make dupes jump and avoid debuffs(if this wasn't fixed).

I tried once a very similar setup: thermoregulator filled with hidrogen cool in a insulated room the food and then it get dropped in vacuum once it reaches -20°C. Don't know the reason why but the food in vacuum was exchanging heat with the tile below it and therefore the build ended up being a distaster. Maybe the reason was that the tile was not an insulated one.

6 minutes ago, Padishar said:

Don't know the reason why but the food in vacuum was exchanging heat with the tile below it and therefore the build ended up being a distaster. Maybe the reason was that the tile was not an insulated one.

Food acts as debris and exchange temperature with tile below even with insulated, but not with airflow or mesh tile.

9 minutes ago, SVV said:

Food acts as debris and exchange temperature with tile below even with insulated, but not with airflow or mesh tile.

Thank you for the information. This is a nice piece of ONI science! :applouse:

6 hours ago, SVV said:

The insulation tiles "should" hold up against temp bleed on the food no problem, what with new colder food getting added, but yeah I was scratching my head for a bit when I had a normal tile there originally.

This is a pretty nice, simple freezer. It's based off of Occam Blazer's solution here.

QH5hm0p.png

It lacks in the fine-tuned cooling aspect, but makes up for it with simplicity (I like building hydrogen chambers: just put an electrolyzer under it and install the floor once it fills up).

But what I like most is the automation. It's a smart battery for food.

IVVWWPm.png

I'm not seeing where you load the food in.  I prefer to have a loader setup so that dupes will load food from around the map automatically.  But you don't want them taking food out of the stockpile and dropping it into the loader.  The only way to do this is to not allow dupes to access the stockpile.

So you want your pile in a 1xwide and 2xdeep frozen insulated room with a sterile atmosphere with exposed corners so autosweepers can reach in but dupes can't.  Then you stick all of your cooking buildings and a fridge within range of the autosweepers.  You set the fridge to only store a small amount of food, the dupes eat it before it goes bad.  The fridge has a higher priority than the loader and you're good. 

Archived