How profitable is trading skins in dst?

1 hour ago, Oiljacker said:

i can just buy a lot of skins from steam market and then craft into better rarity, but is that profitable? 

With the amount of factors at play, no, not really.

If you are ever going to even consider using the DST community market its only really worth to buy the cheaper high-rarity items to turn into spools to get other cosmetics in-game. Getting any actual monetary value is out of the picture since the exclusivity and value of elegant skins slowly go away each character rework as they become more accessible anyway so you're better off looking towards games with more active economies.

I usually sit on common duplicates until Winter's Feast where drops have higher chance to be Distinguished/Elegant and then Trade Inn everything. I sometimes uses market when I lack one or two items to make a trade then.

3 hours ago, Prajdo said:

I usually sit on common duplicates until Winter's Feast where drops have higher chance to be Distinguished/Elegant and then Trade Inn everything. I sometimes uses market when I lack one or two items to make a trade then.

the skins are not worth that much tbh, i can get 10 for a rupee, which is hella cheap

Well, there was one point where skins were actually extremely valuable, and that was the period during the second Hallowed Nights update, which was the first year that the Halloween skins could be obtainable as Elegants to use year-round. These Halloween skins would typically sell for over 20$ and could've sold upwards to over 100$(!!). This period is obviously over now, as you can just buy these skins from Klei directly but back then was quite the good time to be looking to make money from DST.

If by "profitable" you mean "I can make money doing this", then I don't know, probably not. If by "profitable" do you mean "Is it cheaper to buy skins off the community market and unravel them so I can craft the skins I want" then probably. It is with USD, but I don't know how it would be with foreign currencies.

If you're referring to buy many common skins (like shirts and long gloves) and trade them in the Trade Inn until you reach Distinguished or Elegant, then no.

To make a Classy skin you would need 9 Common skins, if every Common skin bought in the community market was 0.14₹ then it would cost 1.26₹; to make a Spiffy skin you would need 9 Classy skins, which would cost you 11.34₹ (1.26₹ for each Classy); to make a Distinguished skin you would need 9 Spiffy skins, which would cost you 102.06₹ (11.34₹ for each Spiffy), even more than an Elegant skin in the community market. There's the rare chance for the trade to give a skin of higher tier from the one that is supposed to but it's not worth the money.

Archived