Can't Figure out Cartographic module

Can someone explain how this is supposed to work? I sent a rocket to space with the module attached and nothing is happening, no exploration of undiscovered space is getting analyzed. and their is no UI that says Start Analyzing space. 

I also have a research module in the rocket capsule so the dupe can research as well while the module analyses undiscovered space. is that the reason nothing is getting discovered?

I don't want to waste another launch not knowing wth is wrong... 

I made the same incorrect assumption about the function of this module. It is not a telescope like the ones dupes operate and the artwork is misleading unfortunately.  I cannot conceive of a purpose of the module...

I did a lot of exploring with a radbolt rocket equipped with a comfortable habitat for 2 dupes with telescopes built into the module. Simple and it let map out a large portion of the map on a single tank of bolts. 

9 minutes ago, ChrisPBacon000 said:

I made the same incorrect assumption about the function of this module. It is not a telescope like the ones dupes operate and the artwork is misleading unfortunately.  I cannot conceive of a purpose of the module...

I did a lot of exploring with a radbolt rocket equipped with a comfortable habitat for 2 dupes with telescopes built into the module. Simple and it let map out a large portion of the map on a single tank of bolts. 

My problem is I can't have that option yet. I'm stuck with the Carbon Dioxide engine. No oil on the home-world or the asteroid I was able to reach. So I can't have a rocket with the habitat module AND power.

*Nor do I have enough radiation on there for radbolt engine...

4 minutes ago, icuurd12b42 said:

So I can't have a rocket with the habitat module AND power.

ehmm.. You can have power just for an inside telescope in the CO2 rocket if you want (although I think it still consumes nothing. It just needs power)

Spoiler

image.png.a03435f734f8e7da3868fe599ad2d5b3.png

6 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

ehmm.. You can have power just for an inside telescope in the CO2 rocket if you want (although I think it still consumes nothing. It just needs power)

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.a03435f734f8e7da3868fe599ad2d5b3.png

RN I can charge a battery for research module and large battery pack in small capsule and solar panels to charge it. I destroy solar panels and replace it with the cartography before launch... I can really do that with the telescope. it does not fit in the small capsule... Possibly I can do a similar trick with a habitat. It's like a three tower ring puzzle...

Really I need a good planet with proper rocket engine resource...

Oh, Turns out I can make a habitat rocket with power. I guess my head was stuck thinking I needed a battery module a while back, not thinking I can have batteries onboard..

Brain fart...

3 hours ago, icuurd12b42 said:

Then why is the module drawn as a telescope with a CCD array!! Argh!!!

It would be fun (and maybe clearer) if there was a big paper map in on a table, with a moving robotic arm holding a red marker with a flashing “you are here” sign on it. There could be signs in the module like “Duplicant on board” or a flashing traffic light.

In a way drawing a map from where you’ve been makes sense for the Cartography Module functionality.

3 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

The rocket obtains the ability to travel to undiscovered hexes.

So it is only the hexes the rocket passes through that get explored? When it says “adjacent” I would have expected 6 hexes around the rocket to also be revealed.

3 hours ago, icuurd12b42 said:

Really I need a good planet with proper rocket engine resource...

As my personal favorite I can recommend the "DLC Classic Terra Map". The bottom is full of oil sources, one can be Uncle Rockafella and aim for petroleum rockets. Superb fun IMHO :bee: You can be so energy rich that one can doodle around doing lots of radbolt experiments, including installing a barrage of radbolt rockets in the base...Running lots of drill cones in space.

image.png.47b83d69d5c761759d71f77ede0eb336.pngimage.png.f48ac3df8aa81b316e88af0729aee120.pngimage.thumb.png.08bd11ae59c5d775ad1dd4e60b97e968.png

1 hour ago, yoakenashi said:

So it is only the hexes the rocket passes through that get explored? When it says “adjacent” I would have expected 6 hexes around the rocket to also be revealed.

If I remember correctly they get "partially" revealed. You get to see more question marks around. 

12 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

If I remember correctly they get "partially" revealed. You get to see more question marks around. 

Right. You get an idea, whats in the area. If there is a question mark, you know where to look next. If not, then there is most probably nothing.

Archived