Golden Tools skins?

I just realized i have so many great looking skins for tools, but all of them for flint version only (there are nordic exeptions)... Why can't they be applied to both flint and golden? I stop using flint tools as soon as i get the alchemy engine, so like middle of autumn and i never see regulars tools after, unless i need to make a new thermal stone, lmao.

Bought a new Hoe skin, but realized that i will never see it, because i always use a golden one.

dontstarve_steam_RxY8zi5NyU.png

dontstarve_steam_monrekJNXN.png

dontstarve_steam_WmJupNDmHo.png

This is a problem I had when they first released the Victorian skins way back
Sadly, I don't know if there's any easy solution to it, since they've already committed to having tool skins and their golden variants be separate skins
They could of course just release the golden versions of these tools, but that would still require the player to purchase/weave those even if they have the normal skin

5 minutes ago, 0bit said:

This is a problem I had when they first released the Victorian skins way back
Sadly, I don't know if there's any easy solution to it, since they've already committed to having tool skins and their golden variants be separate skins
They could of course just release the golden versions of these tools, but that would still require the player to purchase/weave those even if they have the normal skin

I would be ok with that, as long as each tool have a thematic pair.

Wait! Don't we have a Straw Hat and Top Hat thingy? You weave the skin and also get Miner and Rain hat skins. Prestihatitator skins if you weave Top Hat skins? 

dontstarve_steam_YPq6W65Pd6.png

dontstarve_steam_59dTJdrlCZ.png

5 minutes ago, Keller Max said:

I would be ok with that, as long as each tool have a thematic pair.

It just seems counterintuitive, especially for Klei, considering there are many other skins in the game which reskin MULTIPLE other items as well, that all look totally different (e.g. Straw Hat skins reskin Rain Hat and Miner Hat as well.)  Maybe the requirement is that the original item has to be part of the crafting recipe for the other? You don't need an axe to craft a luxury axe. But at the end of the day, you'd have to spend double the spools just to get a skin that's a recolor of another skin. 

4 minutes ago, 0bit said:

It just seems counterintuitive, especially for Klei, considering there are many other skins in the game which reskin MULTIPLE other items as well, that all look totally different (e.g. Straw Hat skins reskin Rain Hat and Miner Hat as well.)  Maybe the requirement is that the original item has to be part of the crafting recipe for the other? You don't need an axe to craft a luxury axe. But at the end of the day, you'd have to spend double the spools just to get a skin that's a recolor of another skin. 

But you still can change the skin on the next item. You can craft regular Straw Hat and then make a Cowboy Miner Hat out of it...

1 minute ago, Keller Max said:

Its just multiple skins for one weaving. So why can't we have the same for tools?

Oh, yeah, you mean that. It's because Klei's already released normal tool skins and golden tool skins separately.
...Maybe they could take away the old golden tool skins (as in, poof, gone) and compensate with a full return of spools for everyone? Then just update the normal skins to give you both their normal and golden variants. But I don't think they've ever REMOVED a skin before. I don't know if that's even possible.

2 minutes ago, Just-guy said:

Flint tools are still frecuent even in late game because they are accesible and cheap, persoally I'm ok with only flint tools having special skins.

I mean, it's not that big of a deal, but the main work (drawing the skin) is already done. All anyone expects from a golden variant of the skin is for it to be recolored. It just seems like it would make perfect sense but only one tool skin set has a golden counterpart

11 minutes ago, 0bit said:

Oh, yeah, you mean that. It's because Klei's already released normal tool skins and golden tool skins separately.
...Maybe they could take away the old golden tool skins (as in, poof, gone) and compensate with a full return of spools for everyone? Then just update the normal skins to give you both their normal and golden variants. But I don't think they've ever REMOVED a skin before. I don't know if that's even possible.

Not remove, but change to something else. Current Golden Nordic can be changed to any other new thematical skin and be shared with flint and gold tool version. So all those who bought golden skins will still have Nordic and a completely new one (For both flint and gold).

6 minutes ago, TipherethB said:

While I don't disagree at all, it's worth noting that those only apply to both because they're an item required in the crafting of eachother (You need a straw hat for a rain hat, for example).

And what? It just means we can have skins for multiple items for one weaving, so why can't we have one skin for both tool versions?

Look! Identical, only recolored sprites.

dontstarve_steam_AAuNcJXRiJ.png

So i see no problem in making sharable tool skins.

1 minute ago, Keller Max said:

And what? It just means we can have skins for multiple items for one weaving, so why can't we have one skin for both tool versions?

Look! Identical, only recolored sprites.

dontstarve_steam_AAuNcJXRiJ.png

So i see no problem in making sharable tool skins.

Again, I don't disagree at all with it being a cool idea. Although what I'm saying is that they only really did it for the sake of that little nuance in crafting.

2 minutes ago, TipherethB said:

Again, I don't disagree at all with it being a cool idea. Although what I'm saying is that they only really did it for the sake of that little nuance in crafting.

I'm just annoyed that they never added other golden tool skins. Victorian and Hunters.

And new hoe skin just pissed me off, because its flint version only.

6 minutes ago, Intrepidpioneer said:

On the contrary, I tend to use flint tools over golden because flint becomes heavily plentiful in late game, especially for farming. Hoes, and shovels get spent rather quickly.

thing is, once you clear the ruins you get fat stacks of gold, so the type of tools become a lot more available than flint, since in the end game it becomes very scarce, since you can only get them from meteors, as far as im aware (I have a chest full of gold, and another chest full of wires which mean like 50 stacks of gold and only like 60 flints after mining the whole world)

1 minute ago, Wardin25 said:

thing is, once you clear the ruins you get fat stacks of gold, so the type of tools become a lot more available than flint, since in the end game it becomes very scarce, since you can only get them from meteors, as far as im aware (I have a chest full of gold, and another chest full of wires which mean like 50 stacks of gold and only like 60 flints after mining the whole world)

60 in the whole world??? It must be public I strongly doubt that. I can get merms to clear a petrified Forest and wind up with easily 100+ flint

Just now, Intrepidpioneer said:

60 in the whole world??? It must be public I strongly doubt that. I can get merms to clear a petrified Forest and wind up with easily 100+ flint

1k days, private. Ive destroyed most of my forests and blocked regrowth. Your point does still stand, but petrification does take a while to kick in. Also, since I have so much gold I dont really need fllint that much

in second thought maybe i and a few others are outliars

9 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

The actual main way to get flint in the late game is through petrified trees, it's a very well done system of making minerals comfortably replenishable. But in the end it requires hard labor, when compared to gold, which you get stacks and stacks upon using trinkets and excess meat from meat farms or frog rains. Even on a +2000 day world you often find yourself low on Rocks, Flint and Nitre (even though these riches are just 1 petrified forest away) while gold is mostly plentiful with more chest of frazzled wires, melty marbles, gourd's knots and hardened rubber bangs waiting to be turned.

1 minute ago, SinancoTheBest said:

The actual main way to get flint in the late game is through petrified trees, it's a very well done system of making minerals comfortably replenishable. But in the end it requires hard labor, when compared to gold, which you get stacks and stacks upon using trinkets and excess meat from meet farms or frog rains. Even on a 2000 day + world you often find yourself low on Rocks, Flint and Nitre (even though these riches are just 1 petrified forest away) while gold is mostly plentiful with more chest of frazzled wires, melty marbles, gourd's knots and hardened rubber bangs waiting to be turned.

Don't forget about Eels. You get 5 gold from pig king for each Eel

44 minutes ago, Intrepidpioneer said:

On the contrary, I tend to use flint tools over golden because flint becomes heavily plentiful in late game, especially for farming. Hoes, and shovels get spent rather quickly.

You could say the same about gold though

the "Also applies to" skins are only found in items that are used in the crafting recipe of other items:

• Straw Hat => Rain Hat / Miner's Hat 
  • Top Hat => Prestihatitator
  • Spear => Ice Staff / Fire Staff
  • Starcaller's Staff => Mooncaller's Staff

I agree that it's a pity we can't use the great skins we have for flint tools for gold ones but that's how they have been as separate items and don't see it changing anytime soon. A similar issue can be seen with Directional Sign having two great skins but regular sign having none -> they are very close relatives and function the same but are ultimately different items. Backpacks and Insulator packs/piggybacks, tents and siesta-lean-tos, crock pots and portable crock pot... all have a similar predicament to a varying degree. Glass axe and Lucy have the same situation of not sharing any skins with the flint axe too. Best solution is hoping that someday Klei will add gold versions of the skins to the game as separate belongings

Archived