[Exploit] The Toilet Prison: using a Dupe to create a 2kg/s 37°C Polluted Water Geyser

This exploit is known in the chinese community, but I couldn’t find any english-language reference. Here is the chinese video used as source material.

This exploit revolve around several facts:

• The main bug: when a Dupe pathing to a Lavatory becomes invalid, the Lavatory will flush, taking in 5kg of Water and outputting 11.7kg of Polluted Water, but the Dupe bladder doesn't get reset. That allows chaining that behavior to create Polluted Water.
  • When that’s used, a Dupe won’t instantly make a mess. There is actually a sizable delay (at least 4 slots) until that happens. I’ve not investigated how long that delay actually is. This allows having a specific schedule where the Dupe can rest and eat.
  • The 30% Stress penalty inflicted by a full bladder can be counteracted by a Morale bonus (20% stress reduction maximum for high Morale) + Tickled Tootsies buff from walking on carpeted tiles (15% stress reduction). By adding flowers for a non-allergic Dupe, you can go up to "Glum" Stress difficulty setting, but if you go up to "Frankly Depressing", you will need to find an additional 10% stress reduction source (for example, by feeding the Dupe Frost Burgers)

Here is the prison (I reworked a bit the example from the video):

LavatoryExploitHighQuality.thumb.gif.efad680a6c259fcf71e0a3c928ca178a.gif

138434354_pipesview.thumb.png.e30a1d0251e21bacd4ead5d5f6c78421.png196079136_automationview.thumb.png.58b46d81347de1f36312ec9048688b72.png

schedule.thumb.png.794744d337e74e3d5c00803891bc4f0b.png800112512_cyclesensor.thumb.png.a7fd49d1fd271edade5b3cd5468a0533.pngWorking details:
- During work time, the Dupe will try both lavatory alternately, each time getting interrupted when it gets close to it, triggering lavatories each time.
- During Sleep time / Downtime, both doors will be closed so that the Dupe cannot path to lavatories (otherwise, sleep/eating gets interrupted) and will sleep and eat. A 3rd Downtime slot might be needed for Ravenous Dupes.
- Lavatories output will equalize to 37°C. It’s possible to delete or create using that equalization effect. Given enough time, unless you are dumping heat or cold, the output will be at 37°C precisely.

It’s possible to remove the cot and sleep slots, as the Dupe will take some micro-naps, but I’ve found this does not improve the output, probably because of those naps animations.
Removing eating slots will eventually cause the Dupe to die of starvation because, even if they take micro-suppers, they are not enough to sustain it long-term because they get interrupted too fast.

Note: on some rare occasions, the Dupe might succeed in getting through the door before it locks. When that happens, the system will take around a cycle to get operational again.

To initialize it, you need to prime it with a bit of water, and of course jail a Dupe inside. No other special consideration is needed apart from setting the Dupe on the specific schedule. The Infinite Storage will auto-initialize.The system will be initialized in around a cycle, when the Dupe bladder is full.
Running costs:
- 120W from the fridge (it can be replaced by a more clever food delivering system if you care)
- Less than 60W for about 33% Sieve utilisation plus the other negligible buildings power usage.
- Filtration medium needs to be delivered, and polluted dirt/clay can be taken out
- Oxygen needs to be piped to the Dupe.

And there you have it, your artificial Polluted Water geyser!

Edit: Bug report created. It contains a save file on max difficulty, which has not been tested for a long time, but properly demonstrate the exploit.

Kudos to the Prison Architect! 

I had to get rid of 200 dupes due to too high resource consumption. In batches of 10 I led them in to a steam chamber and made them take the lead helmets off. Other dupes arrived to carry the corpses out, burried the them and then it was their turn. After doing it a few times I started to feel very sad...:chargrined:

Every human and creature life... and life itself should be of value :apple:

1 hour ago, DimaB77 said:

Thank you for sharing your find!
After a little modification (2nd water sieve and smaller door spacing), the circuit produces 3.7 kg/s of water:

Nice build, but how do you go from 2kg/s to 3.7kg/s? It's the exact same space between doors (it's a 6 cells width room).

The 2kg/s output I mentionned was after taking back what's needed to feed lavatories, and is specific to a 0 Athletics Dupe (I forgot to specify that, I'll edit).

For the output, things that should make a difference are:

• the Dupes Athletics. Faster movement means more lavatories use, but a Dupe too fast might go through doors before the Duplicant Sensor activates to close the door.
  • your game performance. Since AI has a different behavior depending on game performance, it will have an impact (good or bad? I'm not too sure, I'd say bad since AI takes more time taking decision when the game is slow)
  • any modification with the automation. If you can reliably interrupt the Dupe more often in a way that reproduce the bug, you can have a better output. I chose to keep the automation simple, I really don't care about optimizing that build any further, as my hope is that it will get fixed, not to exploit it in survival.
  • having a shorter room. But any shorter than that might run into issues because of overlapping Duplicant Sensors or Dupe going through doors too fast.

15 hours ago, DimaB77 said:

It is possible that it only works with such performance in the sandbox/debug. Similarly, there is no desire to check it further. I'm generally against torturing dupes.

I think the world designers have done a good job if some players perhaps question their own behaviour and game actions ( extincting critters, torturing dupes ) as players for example could be thinking "I need food urgently, mhh, should I really make all critters extinct?". Personally, I like to have things crawling around in the base, it makes the world more lively and lovely - On the other hand creatures take down the game speed and perhaps I need food urgently in certain situations.

2 hours ago, babba said:

On the other hand creatures take down the game speed and perhaps I need food urgently in certain situations.

I think it depends on how many critters we're talking about, it's not like you're gonna have thousands of critters. Eh, oh well:

I really don't know how many critters it takes to slow down a pc now. I would guess it has to do with pathing.

20 hours ago, Fradow said:
  • having a shorter room. But any shorter than that might run into issues because of overlapping Duplicant Sensors or Dupe going through doors too fast.

As i remember if you have duplicant checkpoint that always automation close, dupe still pathing toward toilet without getting close to it, so theorically you can make super sort room like this.image.png.e1c7e122d15f0bad6e8f45d3f3d5b20b.png

20 hours ago, Fradow said:
  • any modification with the automation. If you can reliably interrupt the Dupe more often in a way that reproduce the bug, you can have a better output. I chose to keep the automation simple, I really don't care about optimizing that build any further, as my hope is that it will get fixed, not to exploit it in survival.

If this work, automation also become much more simp, since you no longer need dupe sensor.

Wow, that's quite the bug.

In regards to the fridge, any build seeking out to be so exploity shouldn't have one. Put the food in an unpowered fridge in a CO2 pit for now. If this bug is still around when the new food mechanics come from Spaced Out, then of course it's best to have a freezer room somewhere and drop in food at a steady rate as needed.

49 minutes ago, ZombieDupe said:

The Toilet Prison, wow, right behind the infamous Suffocation Hotel. What other dupe torture exploits exist out there waiting to be discovered?

Is that an exploit? If so, is it still current? If the answer is yes to both, you picked my curiosity.

Unfortunately search results don't return any relevant result to that, any chance you could link me the right way?

As for other exploits involving Dupes, I thought hard about it but couldn't think of anything else that could be exploited. But you never know when a bug is going to surface that can be exploited...

4 minutes ago, Fradow said:

Is that an exploit? If so, is it still current? If the answer is yes to both, you picked my curiosity.

Unfortunately search results don't return any relevant result to that, any chance you could link me the right way?

As for other exploits involving Dupes, I thought hard about it but couldn't think of anything else that could be exploited. But you never know when a bug is going to surface that can be exploited...

It's mentioned in the Francis John's 141 duplicant run.

There is also a dedicated video with a gas mask version made by Brothgar.

Very simple solution to both of these could be for duplicants to consume external oxygen while wearing gas masks or suits (if the exploit extends to that), make the oxygen bar go up just as fast as it goes down when duplicants go gasping for breath and have them consume double the oxygen when gasping for breath. Efficiency is lost as intended, but no exploits are created in the process.

6 hours ago, Fradow said:

That sounds like something I discovered/bought to attention. My reddit posts on the subject:

Both exploits are still active in Spaced Out but the Oygen Mask is even more better than Atmo Suit since it doesn't mess with their peeing. Suffice to say using either exploit is ludicrous broken for long duration space missions where the dupe doesn't have any real work to do.

Archived