Jump to content

ONI on laptop


Recommended Posts

I've seen a lot of posts discussing performance issues, but most are quite old and with performance updates and processors getting faster things might have changed, so I'll revisit the topic.

Is there anyone that plays ONI on a laptop with decent lategame performance? If so, what specs do you have? On my old laptop the game started slowing down around cycle 250 and anticipating it would just get worse from there I didn't play on.

From what I understand the bottleneck seems to be the CPU. I'm thinking of buying a laptop with an Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz processor, do any of you computer savy people think this processor would perform well? What about AMD Ryzen 4800HS?

I greatly appreciate any advice.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

I think the bottleneck is RAM. The more the better. ONI doesn't mind, it will eat all of it. :D

ram is yes one factor as when it runs out then it usually starts eat the hdd and we all know that hdd/ssd is not that fast like ram is , unless if it totally crash game like some older games todo that

5 hours ago, bolenart said:

Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, AMD Ryzen 4800HS?

 

if you want either i7-10750H or Ryzen 4800HS then i would say i7-10750H because it have better memory access and there typed also it have better single core speed

but compared with my lappy cpu then they both seems better , in fact they are better 30% , soo im sure you can play more smoother than me either with i7-10750H or Ryzen 4800HS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gabberworld said:

if you want either i7-10750H or Ryzen 4800HS then i would say i7-10750H because it have better memory access and there typed also it have better single core speed

Uhm, in every test you can make the Ryzen 4800H is superior to a 10750H. And I do mean in every single test. In some tests up to twice as fast while using less power. Technically, the Intel machine does have a slight memory speed advantage but the cores are so much faster on the Ryzen that it more than makes up for it.

I just got a good deal on an ultra portable OLED laptop today with a 5700U. That is basically the same as the 4800U, and not much below the 4800H because Ryzen is a lot more efficient that their Intel counterparts, the U series is much less anemic compared to the H series than on Intel parts.

I'll let you know how it performs when it arrives in two days.

The exact model I bought today was the Zenbook UM325UA-Pure2 if you want to look it up and see tests for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

Uhm, in every test you can make the Ryzen 4800H is superior to a 10750H. And I do mean in every single test. In some tests up to twice as fast while using less power. Technically, the Intel machine does have a slight memory speed advantage but the cores are so much faster on the Ryzen that it more than makes up for it.

I just got a good deal on an ultra portable OLED laptop today with a 5700U. That is basically the same as the 4800U, and not much below the 4800H because Ryzen is a lot more efficient that their Intel counterparts, the U series is much less anemic compared to the H series than on Intel parts.

I'll let you know how it performs when it arrives in two days.

The exact model I bought today was the Zenbook UM325UA-Pure2 if you want to look it up and see tests for it.

thing is when memory read is faster then it takes less time for calulation, you understand that better when you peek inside asm language and look how cpu does different things in single core

also i not say that Ryzen 4800HS is bad, its even better in some cases like video, image editing as it have better multi core

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, bolenart said:

I've seen a lot of posts discussing performance issues, but most are quite old and with performance updates and processors getting faster things might have changed, so I'll revisit the topic.

Is there anyone that plays ONI on a laptop with decent lategame performance? If so, what specs do you have? On my old laptop the game started slowing down around cycle 250 and anticipating it would just get worse from there I didn't play on.

From what I understand the bottleneck seems to be the CPU. I'm thinking of buying a laptop with an Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz processor, do any of you computer savy people think this processor would perform well? What about AMD Ryzen 4800HS?

I greatly appreciate any advice.

 

Your cpu is good for the game :distracted:

The game mainly utilizes 2 cores, that is the games min spec laid out by Klei.

Play with main grid power ( ensures max juice for the board and cpu ), remove the battery (to avoid boiling your genitals and to make the battery last longer for other uses, less thermal blocking mass ), try to keep 2 cores/all cores at the highest frequency possible. In your OS/board bios you can set board and components to maximum power drain. If you can keep the turbo clock frequency high for long time periods - Excellent. :afro: To start the game, ensure that you have 8gb free ram.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/201837/intel-core-i7-10750h-processor-12m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz.html?wapkw=i7-10750h

Lithography 14 nm
Processor Base Frequency 2.60 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency 5.00 GHz
Cache 12 MB Intel® Smart Cache
Cores 6
Threads 12

As benchmark, the game needs ~20% performance of a nvidia gtx1060, your graphic chip should meet that and be ok.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB-vs-AMD-RX-Vega-11-Ryzen-iGPU/3639vsm401440

The smaller maps you choose to play the game, the less worse the game with run as you excavate the maps and colonize the galaxy. May the force be always with you, have fun :p:encouragement:

image.thumb.png.a2bbf50aca1c73a8f216dbee4bbb0b3d.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, babba said:

remove the battery (to avoid boiling your genitals and to make the battery last longer for other uses

But then you need another kind of battery... A trusty UPS will be recommended... Unless you're not afraid of unplanned power loss.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, JRup said:

But then you need another kind of battery... A trusty UPS will be recommended... Unless you're not afraid of unplanned power loss.

Mhhhh, of course :p - If power grid losses are common it would make sense to leave the battery in :ghost:

image.png.082c2a7aeeef96a815f1ac8e34cc1e4d.pngBuilding power backup in the game, avoids power loss in reality :confused:

image.png.9f4b9d6bc486069738d4fb67357acea7.pngHeavy batteries contribute to the "Schlepptop" syndrome

image.png.2f4d648d6f372b084ec183fa2f412fa2.png"Do we need to schlepp all the batteries to Jita?"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Uhm, in every test you can make the Ryzen 4800H is superior to a 10750H. And I do mean in every single test. In some tests up to twice as fast while using less power. Technically, the Intel machine does have a slight memory speed advantage but the cores are so much faster on the Ryzen that it more than makes up for it.

I just got a good deal on an ultra portable OLED laptop today with a 5700U. That is basically the same as the 4800U, and not much below the 4800H because Ryzen is a lot more efficient that their Intel counterparts, the U series is much less anemic compared to the H series than on Intel parts.

I'll let you know how it performs when it arrives in two days.

The exact model I bought today was the Zenbook UM325UA-Pure2 if you want to look it up and see tests for it.

If you're planning on playing ONI on your new laptop I'd be extremely grateful if you report back with how it performs in a big base.

Thanks for the advice everyone. How good is 16 (2x8) GB RAM for ONI, barely enough or more than enough? Assuming you want little to no lag even in the lategame.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, bolenart said:

How good is 16 (2x8) GB RAM for ONI, barely enough or more than enough?

I use 16GB on a linux desktop, the vanilla edition works mostly fine on late game. I advise taking breaks (it's healthy, even) from lengthy play sessions as the memory will fill up and affect performance or even crash the game. (So stop the game, take 5 minutes to rest your eyes and return to it after playing continuously for about an hour or every 2-3 times the printing pod offers dupes & goodies...)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bolenart said:

If you're planning on playing ONI on your new laptop I'd be extremely grateful if you report back with how it performs in a big base.

Thanks for the advice everyone. How good is 16 (2x8) GB RAM for ONI, barely enough or more than enough? Assuming you want little to no lag even in the lategame.

16gb ram is good. ONI dlc often starts with using ~6gb ram and may sometimes munch its way ( in some cases ) up to ~8gb ram over a few hours.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@bolenart 

All saves I had just hit the v-sync limit so I got a save on discord to test with. Cycle 2600ish. Lots of dupes. Tons of critters.

After 30 minutes it's at 10-11 fps with 33% CPU and 68% GPU utilization. Limiting factor is the 16GB RAM. Power usage on the APU was 12W when running the save.

unknown.png

Save file used so you can compare. Remember to let it run for minimum 20 minutes to get past initial boosting.

spacerock prefreeze.sav

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

Yup! RAM-eating Oni :rolleyes:. Has anyone tested if it has a limit? 32? 64GB...?

Well, oddly enough the same save on my gaming rig doesn't run into the RAM limit on that save even though that has 16GB RAM as well. I think the difference is the 2GB of RAM used as VRAM on the laptop APU that makes the difference.
But then again, that save is a monster. Try it!

1 hour ago, babba said:

That is some nice excavations :congratulatory::encouragement:@Saturnus

Not my save. I got it from @mrEverett on discord. Try it, and see how your PC handles it :D

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

...

Not my save. I got it from @mrEverett on discord. Try it, and see how your PC handles it :D

My map has vertical tank tracks - It is ready made for the ONI trains, Klei just needs to patch them in :afro:

If we could use vertical rails to transport space shuttles, rockets and nuclear submarines - That would be great.

image.thumb.png.f41b610239af23391ff5950576bdf985.pngimage.thumb.png.59005cc8df8f56f3d593d889514369a9.pngimage.thumb.png.381df5d3e0a6f08439f514f689c30dfe.png

image.thumb.png.dc9b7f6dec447b23c57b829f27b32dc6.png "Le Coco de Plague". New huts + automatic farm

image.thumb.png.3bb9966b69439d8264c12e6823c9b755.png"Grub Grub 5 stars toiletta trattoria farmo" - Manual shifts !

image.thumb.png.84294ee601eb5834b40afd092bb77d0a.png "Ene vidi vici di blasio" - Glas smelter in to little steam room

2 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

Yup! RAM-eating Oni :rolleyes:. Has anyone tested if it has a limit? 32? 64GB...?

6.3GB right now, playing on win10 ONI preview. Imagine if we had tree mice, they would eat more ram :confused:

---------------

Logitech Bloatware Award - Bigger than 50MB would already be shameful :confused::confused::confused:

image.thumb.png.aa72b320dd184a3173a1f0264e0a8fb3.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, gabberworld said:

i not seen 32GB but 11GB no problem, easy

 

2 hours ago, MinhPham said:

On my 32GB system ONI crashes somewhere around 15GB, never seen it use more than 16GB ...

But you don't have 100 dupes and about 4000 critters like the save I used to stress test with, right?

On any normal game save I had this laptop just ran at the v-sync limit of 60fps. OLED displays like on this laptop typically have lower refresh rates but near instant latency so it feels like an IPS panel of at least 50% higher refresh. It certainly feels like my 120Hz monitor on my gaming rig in smoothness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

But you don't have 100 dupes and about 4000 critters like the save I used to stress test with, right?

If running a save cannot crash it, reloading can. My limit is 11 (out of 16GB RAM) but it seems it can go beyond that... :shock: I haven't really reached the limit and crash, just by playing. But I do have a save that can make a slideshow out of the game in ~10 cycles but only because there is wallpaper everywhere:rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

 

But you don't have 100 dupes and about 4000 critters like the save I used to stress test with, right?

On any normal game save I had this laptop just ran at the v-sync limit of 60fps. OLED displays like on this laptop typically have lower refresh rates but near instant latency so it feels like an IPS panel of at least 50% higher refresh. It certainly feels like my 120Hz monitor on my gaming rig in smoothness.

11GB with normal play, im sure game can reach even higher as every object needs memory where it holds them unless if Klei wakes up and starts use database what will be stored in hdd because not everything needed stay in memory

and fact is if they would todo that then game save would be more smoother aswell because you not need save that data what is already stored

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...