double nuclear reactor = 40 steam turbine

You could simplify it to use only steel and polluted water with some clever engineering.

For nuclear waste excess, have water output from a line of steam turbines flow counter-currently to the waste, so that it cools it before it reaches the pump or aquatuners. Can even cool it only conditionally, to prevent the turbines ever dropping below 100% output.

For the refueling, either corner exploits or a liquid-locked safe zone for the grabber.

17 hours ago, Magheat2009 said:

Thats why I am not a fan of 'just don't use it'. Exploits come to be seen as the efficient way of doing things rather than an easy way out. 

Conveniently ignoring the latter half that you snipped, where an equally viable non-exploit solution is suggested in the same sentence

5 hours ago, Yunru said:

Conveniently ignoring the latter half that you snipped, where an equally viable non-exploit solution is suggested in the same sentence

Sorry, if I came of as deceptive. This post is on advanced machine design, not someone asking for help when they are finding the game too hard. The person I quoted suggested other very nice ideas which were on how to better engineer the build. So to me the suggestion to use corner exploit came of as a suggested way to doing things better instead of 'easier'. This was not me criticising @Coolthulhu but the culture around exploits.

P.S.- I will class liquid locks as a commonly used exploit as well but thats just me.

I have test your suggestion about 1 reactor run 40 steam turbine, and i told you it not working anymore, 1 reactor only run 40 steam turbine at 60% wattage. I can only agree with you about use steel not niobium. And use 2 reactor cause the heat produce by steam turbine approximate 105 ktdu, so how yo can cool 40 steam turbine by using polluted water???

2 hours ago, Hcmcuong1995 said:

I have test your suggestion about 1 reactor run 40 steam turbine, and i told you it not working anymore, 1 reactor only run 40 steam turbine at 60% wattage.

Are you restricting the water input to the reactor?  That's what increases the heat output.  I loaded up the save file I linked to and it's working for me.  To get maximum heat output you need to set the valve to somewhere between 850g/s and 1000g/s.  It's somewhat game speed dependent.  Higher game speeds make the fuel temperature fluctuate more making it more likely that you'll meltdown. I think I saved it with the valve at 1000g/s for safety.

The reason this works is, because of how nuclear waste is created.  While the reactor is running, it creates 166.67g/s of nuclear waste.  Crucially this waste is created at whatever the current fuel temperature is.  When you restrict the amount of coolant to the reactor it causes the average temperature of the fuel (and of produced nuclear waste) to increase dramatically.  With un-restricted coolant waste is produced at ~350C  with 850g/s of coolant the waste is produced at ~2400C. It's the extra heat content of the nuclear waste that increase heat output.  The amount of heat emitted in the steam doesn't actually change.

Dealing with the super hot nuclear waste takes a little extra care.  First you have to make sure that it drops directly into a existing pool of nuclear waste.  If it forms a liquid tile on it's own it will immediately flash into fallout gas, because 2400C is well above it's vaporization. This is bad because fallout has a much lower SHC so this transformation will delete huge amounts of heat.  Secondly, you need to extract as much heat from the waste as you can. I do this by using a short counter flow with the steam at the bottom of the build (this is why I'm not dropping the turbine exhaust water down the central column like in FJ's build).

2 hours ago, Hcmcuong1995 said:

And use 2 reactor cause the heat produce by steam turbine approximate 105 ktdu, so how yo can cool 40 steam turbine by using polluted water???

I'm not.  I'm using 4 ATs cooling nuclear waste.  With an SHC of 7.44 it's nearly as effective as super coolant.

2 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

Higher game speeds make the fuel temperature fluctuate more making it more likely that you'll meltdown. I think I saved it with the valve at 1000g/s for safety.

Safety... right. My potato can melt anything in 10x :D (I had a chance to hear the meltdown music though that I hadn't noticed before :rolleyes: )

7 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

Safety... right. My potato can melt anything in 10x :D (I had a chance to hear the meltdown music though that I hadn't noticed before :rolleyes: )

Mhhhhhhhhh meltdown music...That sounds interesting :ghost::distracted:

Running the game above 1x single speed changes so much in terms of things happening in the ONI calculation world... If I `m not at the ONI PC I normally let everything run at single speed - Except "Special build mega projects" for the dupe orchestra assembly, which need special 2 eye overview by myself observing...Eating cookies, choco cake and steaks.

Archived