Any Tips for Making Don't Starve Style Sprites?

Hello everyone, today I have a question regarding Don't Starve sprites. I recently have taken an interest in modding, and I have really struggled trying to make the sprites for some mod ideas. I have what I want them to look like on paper, and I seem to be much better with paper as I can't seem to render them properly on the computer. I just want any modders who have done any sort of sprite work to give me some help. I'm not completely helpless, as I know some aspects that Don't Starve sprites seem to all share, however it is very difficult for me to make some myself.

Any tips? Any applications or tools you guys use? Any sort of help is welcome. Also I apologize if there is a better sub-forum to put this on, and if there is, please let me know.

21 minutes ago, thegreatJash said:

Any tips? Any applications or tools you guys use? Any sort of help is welcome. Also I apologize if there is a better sub-forum to put this on, and if there is, please let me know.

What art software do you use? And what are your brush settings?

I suggest try tracing in-game sprites, compare the original sprite and your replication of the sprite, see what's different from the two, what changes you can make to the replication to match the original even more, tracing art is a really good way to learn and practice (of course, please don't claim the traced/replicated art as yours, but i'm sure that was obvious to you, lol)

I use paint tool sai for most things, and clip paint studio for some advanced effects. If you are looking for free art programs, then you can try medibang, krita or fire alpaca. Basically anything is better than paint.

Another important this is a graphic tablet. You didn't mention anything about that, so... As is possible to edit drawings from paper to art programs, and more or less make them look in DST style, still there may be a quality loss, too much grain or blurr. Tablet allows to draw directly on computer, but much more smooth that mouse (note: some art programs have extra line correction, and some don't) and without mess from paper.

Third thing... DST style is harder than it look. That means, it require training and time to make it right. As Hornete said, in this case good is some tracing and comparing results. 

I know Klei does streams and records them and they are sometimes art related. For example for Oxygen Not Included there was one where they showcased some of the artists, their work, their line of thinking and you can also see them in action a bit.

A professional setup can be quite involved. But from working (and living) with artists I know that you can do a ton with just a good tablet and standard (affordable or free) software.

Now learning to digitally paint is quite a feat and requires regular and deliberate practice. There are tons of good tutorials online that get you started. DST stuff looks simple and might be tricking you into thinking that it is also easy, but you'll be working and practicing quite a bit for this. No time wasted when being creative!

There are also ways of manipulating and converting stuff you drew on paper first, but I don't think the results will be that satisfying.

Archived