Space Resource Field Details

I wanted to make a thread where I could ask about/compile a list of the details regarding these new space fields.

So far, I don't really know how their generation is determined, but I have noticed a few things:

- Collection rate seems to be 7.5kg/s, regardless of type of field
- Drillcone needs diamond to function, and can hold up to 1000kg. Diamond cost seems to depend on the mass of the resources you're actually collecting: 5% of the mass you collect is consumed as diamonds, so every 1kg of diamond converts to 20kg of collected resources. If you're collecting less than 7.5kg/s of resources due to full storage, you'll accordingly consume less diamond.
- You don't necessarily need to be able to store all materials to be able to collect the rest (you can loot a forested ore field without a gas tank)
- The fields give fixed fractions of resources (unsure if this changes between fields, but seems unlikely)
- The fields regenerate over time (not sure how fast)
- Not all fields are guaranteed to spawn on a world. My test world has no renewable diamond.

I have personally tried harvesting 3 fields so far. I'll compile the info about every field we know exists and its proportion of resources.

•  Sandy Ore Field:
    • 40% sandstone
    • 30% sand
    • 20% algae
    • 10% copper ore
  • Forested Ore Field
    • 70% igneous rock
    • 20% carbon dioxide
    • 10% aluminum ore
  • Swampy Ore Field
    • 70% polluted dirt
    • 20% mud
    • 10% cobalt ore
  • Frozen Ore Asteroid Field
    • 27% ice
    • 27% polluted ice
    • 24% aluminum ore
    • 22% snow
  • Rocky Asteroid Field
    • 40% igneous rock
    • 40% sedimentary rock
    • 20% copper ore
  • Oxidized Asteroid Field
    • 80% rust
    • 20% carbon dioxide (solid)
  • Metallic Asteroid Field
    • 70% obsidian
    • 18% copper ore
    • 13% iron (liquid)
  • Organic Mass Field
    • 30% slime
    • 30% algae
    • 30% dirt
    • 10% polluted oxygen
  • Ice Asteroid Field
    • 70% carbon dioxide (solid)
    • 25% ice
    • 5% oxygen (solid)
  • Oily Asteroid Field
    • 78% carbon dioxide (solid)
    • 11% methane (solid)
    • 11% crude oil
  • Radioactive Asteroid Field
    • 36% rust
    • 27% sulfur
    • 18% bleach stone
    • 18% uranium ore
  • Radioactive Gas Cloud
    • 64% carbon dioxide (gas)
    • 18% chlorine (liquid)
    • 18% uranium ore
  • Chlorine Cloud
    • 75% bleach stone
    • 25% chlorine (liquid)
  • Helium Cloud
    • 80% water
    • 20% hydrogen (gas)
  • Exploded Ice Giant
    • 60% ice
    • 20% carbon dioxide (solid)
    • 15% oxygen (gas)
    • 5% methane
  • Exploded Gas Giant:
    • 70% hydrogen (gas)
    • 10% natural gas
    • 10% methane (liquid)
    • 10% methane (solid)
  • Glimmering Asteroid Field
    • 60% wolframite
    • 20% tungsten (liquid)
    • 10% carbon dioxide
    • 10% coal
  • Gilded Asteroid Field
    • 45% sedimentary rock
    • 25% gold
    • 10% fullerene
    • 10% refined carbon
    • 10% regolith
  • Salty Asteroid Field
    • 50% salt water
    • 40% brine
    • 10% carbon dioxide (solid)
  • Carbon Asteroid Field
    • 79% coal
    • 21% refined carbon
  • Oxygen Rich Asteroid Field
    • 40% ice
    • 40% water
    • 20% polluted oxygen
  • Satellite Asteroid Field
    • 30% sand
    • 30% iron ore
    • 27% copper (liquid)
    • 13% glass
  • Interstellar Ocean
    • 25% salt water
    • 25% brine
    • 25% ice
    • 25% salt

Got anything to share? I'll be sure to add it to this thread.

2 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

:hypnotized: There are too many...

So there are:

• Asteroid fields
  • Ore fields
  • Ore asteroid fields
  • Mass fields
  • Clouds (gas clouds)

But there is also an Ocean, Gas and Ice giants?

The categorization seems to be fairly loose - the fields that really share anything in common are the sandy, swampy and forested ore fields giving resources from their biome + 7.5kg/s metal ore.

I've filled out the vast majority of the list now, and I will say: I like how a lot of these fields look. I'm very happy we have renewable ore at last - I don't have to worry about building too many conveyors or shooting myself in the foot by feeding plug slugs.

The better fields seem to spawn farther away from the center. By the looks of it, I might have to start building livable colonies on the outer planetoids just so I can more easily loot these fields. Most notably, the gilded and glimmering asteroid fields are especially good due to their high metal ore content, the exploded gas giant offers a really good source of energy and the fields with ice or water can keep these outer colonies self-sustaining without the need for long-distance water shipments.

I only have two complains:
- I think the fields that renew something otherwise non-renewable (diamond, fullerene) should be guaranteed in world generation
- Some of the fields seem really inefficient; the oily asteroid field for example gives an overwhelming amount of solid carbon dioxide.

6 minutes ago, Electroely said:

Some of the fields seem really inefficient; the oily asteroid field for example gives an overwhelming amount of solid carbon dioxide.

Does it work like the base game where you only get resources you send modules for? E.g. if you send a rocket with only liquid storage to an oily asteroid field, you should get 50% oil and 50% petroleum, even though they're nominally only 3.3% each.

14 minutes ago, ghkbrew said:

Does it work like the base game where you only get resources you send modules for? E.g. if you send a rocket with only liquid storage to an oily asteroid field, you should get 50% oil and 50% petroleum, even though they're nominally only 3.3% each.

From my understanding, the rate at which you get resources doesn't change if you don't have storage for the other resources. I'll check again to make sure, but from my understanding, if you don't have a solid cargo module you'll still only get 250g/s petroleum and 250g/s crude oil. The game does not specify the rate at which you're actually collecting the resources so it's hard to measure.

EDIT: @ghkbrew It doesn't seem like the resources get collected at all if I don't have a cargo bay - I'm not sure how this works, but it seems like you can't loot a field unless you have the storage for most of its loot.

I am thinking it is either 

Klei carefully read all posts and consider all suggestions players make or

Klei has similar to players ideas and implements them when the time is right

In any of these cases, it just shows how good Klei is in communicating with its community and learning the fan needs/desires/wishes.

Probably it is both -----

the game price still is too low

23 hours ago, Electroely said:

EDIT: @ghkbrew It doesn't seem like the resources get collected at all if I don't have a cargo bay - I'm not sure how this works, but it seems like you can't loot a field unless you have the storage for most of its loot.

This smells like a bug to me. Like the code checks specifically for a cargo bay before collecting rather than looking for the appropriate kind of storage for the loot like it should.

2 minutes ago, ghkbrew said:

This smells like a bug to me. Like the code checks specifically for a cargo bay before collecting rather than looking for the appropriate kind of storage for the loot like it should.

I've tried only bringing a cargo bay to a helium cloud (since I only wanted the niobium) and experienced the same result as trying to loot the oily asteroid field with only a liquid tank. Surely it's more complicated than that?

1 hour ago, Electroely said:

I've tried only bringing a cargo bay to a helium cloud (since I only wanted the niobium) and experienced the same result

I stand corrected. I suppose it is intentional.

But what's the point then? Do the minor elements stop collecting when the storage for major element is full?

Did they notice you can pump the loot into infinite storage inside the capsule and keep collecting forever? :-)

6 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

Did they notice you can pump the loot into infinite storage inside the capsule and keep collecting forever? :-)

But do you actually know what temperature everything is before dropping it next to the pilot? :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, sakura_sk said:

But do you actually know what temperature everything is before dropping it next to the pilot? 

The elements appear to be produced at their "default" temperature.  So room temperature for most things, but ices and frozen gases are cold.  But it doesn't matter much since you can just keep them in a 1 tile vacuum chamber.  Maybe on top of your food :)

12 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

I stand corrected. I suppose it is intentional.

But what's the point then? Do the minor elements stop collecting when the storage for major element is full?

The behavior is strange and buggy at the moment. My rocket hasn't stopped collecting resources even when the field has ran out of mass - it's in the negatives now:

image.png.041623d993d499cdb51fbb5172673bc4.png

Collection has not stopped when my cargo bay got full of co2 and methane. This concerns me a little because the rocket still says it's collecting resources at 7.5kg/s; the petroleum & crude oil amount is definitely not going up any faster than it was when I was collecting co2 alongside it.

On 5/20/2021 at 5:37 PM, Electroely said:

Got anything to share? I'll be sure to add it to this thread.

Oxygen Rich Asteroid Field looks like 40% Ice 40% water 20% polluted oxygen 

Spoiler

20210522125355_1.thumb.jpg.53bba1dd68bb242f19a72b4aa1fec08f.jpg

Missing from your list is Satellite Asteroid Field (Steel; Copper; Glass), they're currently invisible but do exist.   Looks like it's 10% Steel; 67% Copper & 23% Glass

Spoiler

20210520173708_1.thumb.jpg.a781bc82137f8f96250a9b13fac73985.jpg

20210522135654_1.thumb.jpg.7cd8733db60197f6d56ef3e1632a386c.jpg

31 minutes ago, Brian.oni said:

Oxygen Rich Asteroid Field looks like 40% Ice 40% water 20% polluted oxygen 

Reveal hidden contents

20210522125355_1.thumb.jpg.53bba1dd68bb242f19a72b4aa1fec08f.jpg

Missing from your list is Satellite Asteroid Field (Steel; Copper; Glass), they're currently invisible but do exist.   Deleted the world pictured below, but I'll try finding another to round out the list.

Hide contents

20210520173708_1.thumb.jpg.a781bc82137f8f96250a9b13fac73985.jpg

Thank you for the info! I was not aware there would be invisible fields... how did you reveal your map like that? I just used debug mode's BACKSPACE button, which reveals the entire map.

EDIT: Thanks @sakura_sk and @Brian.oni! I found a satellite asteroid field and recorded its data.

7 minutes ago, Electroely said:

I just used debug mode's BACKSPACE button, which reveals the entire map.

And then close it and use the Ctrl+F4 instant build mode (while not in starmap) and start revealing question marks one by one. When a question mark does not reveal something... it is a satellite

5 hours ago, Electroely said:

This concerns me a little because the rocket still says it's collecting resources at 7.5kg/s; the petroleum & crude oil amount is definitely not going up any faster than it was when I was collecting co2 alongside it.

From the decompiled source:

it always tries to extract 7.5kg/s which is divided among the elements the POI based on weights that are intrinsic to the asteroid field's type. If one (or more) element can't be extracted (because the cargo module is full) you just miss out on that portion of the 7.5kg/s.

The mass for unharvest elements isn't removed from the POI, so you're not wasting resources if your cargo bay fills up. You're just not being as efficient. 

The POI itself only has a single remaining mass. It doesn't  track it's elements separately. So if you do manage to extract only some of the elements, you will be able to extract more of those than if you harvested everything.

I still can't find what makes it only harvest if you storage for the most abundant elements. I guess it's just a test for the presence of the right storage type, not that there is room in them, based on @Electroely's experience with the oily asteroid field. Time to send a rocket with full gas storage to the helium cloud :-)

Also, POIs are generated with capacity randomly selected in a range that depends on the POI type.

5,000-10,000kg:

• Radioactive Gas Cloud
  • Radioactive Asteroid Field

15,000-25,000kg:

• Interstellar Ocean
  • Oily Asteroid Field

30,000-45,000kg:

• Carbon Asteroid Field
  • Satellite Asteroid Field
  • Gilded Asteroid Field
  • Glimmering Asteroid Field
  • Helium Cloud
  • Oxygen Rich Asteroid Field

54,000-81,000kg:

• Everything Else

Each POI has a regeneration time randomly selected in the range of 30,000-60,000s (50-100 cycles).  Thus they recover mass at a rate of (capacity / regeneration time) kg/s

Looks like a lot of tuning was done. I'll be updating the thread with changes I notice, but so far, I see that the oily asteroid field was improved (11% crude oil, 11% solid methane, no petroleum), no more niobium from the helium cloud (80% water and 20% hydrogen now) and radioactive asteroid field only gives 10% uranium ore instead of 25%.

Thanks for compiling this and updating it. Looking over the list It seems like an overall nerf to the space POI's with todays patch. Interesting they added diamond to Gilded when it already had fullerene. It seems like the most crucial one of them all.

I'm surprised they didn't adjust the Carbon Asteroid Field. They need to replace refined carbon or add more uses for it, even if just drywall or tempshift plates. It's probably the most useless resource now that we can feed sulfur to sweetles. Not to mention people may farm the this POI for diamond in longer playthroughs. 

The change to Gas Giant might be nice with the cold temps, but having even more bulky unloaders next to my rocket platforms is a bit of a bummer. To unload this cargo and keep a plumbed bathroom and ventilated command module, you're looking at a minimum of 30 blocks of space, floor/roof not included. Maybe the solution is to mix it all inside the command module into infinite storage cubes and just pump out the gas :grin:

2 hours ago, Rotintin said:

Thanks for compiling this and updating it. Looking over the list It seems like an overall nerf to the space POI's with todays patch. Interesting they added diamond to Gilded when it already had fullerene. It seems like the most crucial one of them all.

I'm actually happy the Gilded and Glimmering asteroid fields have diamond now. The carbon asteroid field isn't guaranteed on every world, but those two are, so every world will have renewable diamond now. 

I don't mind most of the nerfs. My only complaints are that the radioactive asteroid field should have more mass & uranium ore content, and that solid CO2 in many of the fields should be replaced with something at least a little more useful, like the Ice Asteroid Field. Maybe granite, for example, since it's found in the tundra quite a bit.

I've gotten radioactive asteroid fields with only 500kg of mass before - that's insanely low, and if ghkbrew is right about the regeneration speed then you only get 50kg of uranium ore every 50 cycles in the best case.

Oh, and the Swampy Ore Field isn't a guaranteed spawn. That upset me a little because I created a pokeshell ranch solely due to the fact that I can mine good amounts of polluted dirt from space, only to find out my world doesn't have a source.

3 hours ago, Rotintin said:

The change to Gas Giant might be nice with the cold temps, but having even more bulky unloaders next to my rocket platforms is a bit of a bummer. To unload this cargo and keep a plumbed bathroom and ventilated command module, you're looking at a minimum of 30 blocks of space, floor/roof not included. Maybe the solution is to mix it all inside the command module into infinite storage cubes and just pump out the gas :grin:

With how much power you could get out of the exploded gas giant, I think that seems like a fairly well deserved nerf. Just one trip would supply my base for a long time. The cooling potential of liquid & solid hydrogen seems interesting, though... For the most part, I see myself dumping the liquid & solid hydrogen together to hopefully melt the solid and use both as rocket fuel. If that doesn't work, I think I can at least store the hydrogen in a reservoir in space to keep it insulated and liquid without any dedicated cooling system to refuel my rocket on more distant asteroids. Though the oxidizer will still be an issue if I'm using 2 fuel tanks...

20 hours ago, Electroely said:

I don't mind most of the nerfs. My only complaints are that the radioactive asteroid field should have more mass & uranium ore content, and that solid CO2 in many of the fields should be replaced with something at least a little more useful, like the Ice Asteroid Field. Maybe granite, for example, since it's found in the tundra quite a bit.

Oh, and the Swampy Ore Field isn't a guaranteed spawn. That upset me a little because I created a pokeshell ranch solely due to the fact that I can mine good amounts of polluted dirt from space, only to find out my world doesn't have a source.

Couldn't agree more, I kinda wish there was a bit more consistency with asteroid gen. Then again, with the lack of worldgen variation maybe it's a good thing.

My latest run I debugged to see the starmap and just duplicated the seed. Highly recommend- it's fun to come up with new strategies based on what planets are close to what. Right now my whole squad just migrated to live on the the resin tree planet that's 2 tiles from a gilded and a gas giant. Should be interesting.

"the radioactive asteroid field should have more mass & uranium ore content, and that solid CO2 in many of the fields should be replaced with something at least a little more useful, like the Ice"

I agree with Electroely

the uranium ore recovery should be at least equal or more than a full usage of one research nuclear reactor. 

I still think that all materials should be available through POIs including niobium. The amount can be tiny but the option is good to have for some. It takes a lot of cycles to cool down niobium asteroid in order to get access to the volcano. Even if there is an easy, alternative way, players will still go for full development of all asteroids when there is not much left to do on the main asteroid.

Archived