Please More Uses for Moon Shards

Completing the Eye of the Storm update results in a massive accumulation of moonglass. They can be mined from moonstorms, they drop in incredible amounts during the CC fight, and each moondial drops glass after moonstorms. Before this update glass was much more tedious to acquire as it was only renewable via remote biomes such as the grotto and lunar island. Now with the sudden availability of this resource, our chests have quickly filled up with this resource, and frankly there is simply nothing to do with it all.

Currently glass is only used for a weapon, a tool, a turf recipe (highly-prohibitive because of the moonrock), and statues. I would absolutely love to see more uses for glass, specifically in recipes for structures. I can see such a wide range of potential building uses in the material. Windows, glass walls, reflective turf, stained glass, etc. As long as we now have some very reliable methods for obtaining large amounts of this material, it would be lovely to eventually have expanded uses for it. What do you think?

I agree. Did you see I posted a possible idea? My idea was to increase Glass cutter damage, but not durability, against Treeguards (maybe even Mush gnomes). Since it's a rather expensive recipe and right now people usually don't bother fighting Treeguards, I thought it could be a good combination.

Craftable Enlightened Crown Shard would be nice as 5 shards per boss battle isn't good enough, especially for the small range that the mushroom lights cover.
This is currently the endgame item, acquiring it would mean you'd have gone through a good chunk if not all of the game's content already, being able to just craft more shards to use in your lamps for your bases and decorations would make the post-game game more rewarding to play.

Moongleam and infused moon glass could use some crafting recipes, too. 

Two ideas for infused moon glass recipes

A variant of the glass cutter that does bonus electric damage and spoils over time

A lightning rod variant that when struck gives a strong positive sanity aura and light

Moongleam could be used to fuel Winona's generators or maybe used in a crafting recipe to overcharge WX, aside from that I dont know what recipes it could be given

Existing tools, like glass cutter, are fine, because they do a specific job in a specific case. This is only a problem because there are 2 whole non-decor (not to say decor isn't important, but it isn't gameplay changing) items to craft. Pseudoscience station adds about 10 new viable tools/armor/utility items, but if all we got were the lazy explorer and magiluminescence, there would be disappointment too. We need more gameplay affecting things to do with moonglass, doesn't even have to be combat based.

Same with the moonstorm, we really should be able to use the gleams and charged glass for something. The boss even drops it, which harkens back to the iron hulks drop of infused iron, clearly the inspiration for the charged glass. We at least need some things to make out of these new materials, otherwise the storms feel too much like a short one time thing.

This is kinda a theme of ROT unfortunately, too much of the content is relocatable or a one time thing. Archives are a one time smash and grab, lunar islands main resources are relocatable and moonglass is so easy to farm that the hot springs are near useless, and the moonstorms aren't needed for anything but the boss. If the collected dust was way more viable or hot springs had more uses or the mobs on the island had much more interactivity, etc, it would feel that the content updates of ROT were much more impactful than just a one time thing per world.

Return of Them honestly feels like it ended the exact moment it began to get interesting. We finally get a way to farm moon shards and to use moon shards on the go, as well as a very unique, globe-spanning event with some neat resource farming applications... and then that's it.

I can only hope that, despite taking 2 whole years from start to finish, Return of Them is meant mostly as setup and the next expansion will give us a good moon shard sink. (it definitely feels that way in regards to the ocean, which JoeW has confirmed will be getting more content).

Because right now, the celestial crafting just feels... off.

If you clear the ruins, you get access to teleportation, shadow tentacle summoning, forcefield armor, auto-picking, summoning miniature suns and light-emitting/speed-boosting amulets.

If you clear the ruins, do the Pearl quests, kill Pearl'd Crab King, do the Moon Stone event, clear the Archives, summon the Mysterious Energy, do the Wagstaff event 3 times and finally kill the Celestial Champion... you get the ability to make a faster axe and a more situational dark sword on the go. Yawn.

On 5/10/2021 at 9:51 PM, JazzyGames said:

. Windows, glass walls, reflective turf, stained glass, etc.

I really like those ideas. even before reading through the post i thought about a glass wall it sounds interesting to have a transparent wall or a reflective turf.

but i did have an idea for a long time for a new pitchfork. basically a pitchfork you get from the archives through another fountain that costs 2 moon glass shards and 1 thulecite fragment and it would be a normal pitchfork except it would have 1 / 2 / 3 inventory slots that can hold turn and when you dug up turf it would replace the turf with one from the pitchfork.

or maybe a glass suit that would have 65% armor against normal creatures but 85% armor against shadows

maybe new ammunition for walter using moon glass (honestly i can't think of anything it would do)

or glassy potion which would turn crops into glass (this one sounds like a hell to implement in post RWYS XD all the different crop stages plus the giant one. sounds like a lot of work that only people designing with wormwood transplanted crops would use (me. I design with them))

oh actually i just remembered for ages i want something like the pedestal decor from ONI in dst to display items (and especially skined items like wicker's end of nigh book skin) and it would be really cool to display items in an elevated pedestal inside a glass container (maybe recipe would be 2 marble 2 glass and it would resemble the actual design from ONI)

maybe you could hammer antlion's glass spike and castle for a chance to get a sketch for them and make it out of the rest of the resources or their glass version would look slightly different to the original one.

yeah that's all i can really come up with rn. I really like all these ideas but some of them might be a bit more off the books / not balanced

Archived