Dodging the Celestial Champion's attacks

The guide on how to dodge this literal floating moon energy.
You can do this as anyone. Not just Wortox.
I'll be showing my fight as well, just so y'all can see how dodging works in real time.
Also, this is my first time writing a.. uhm.. "dodging" guide... sorta thing. This thing is long and messy imo. Sorry if I missed out anything

[PREP - Required]
-Weapon of choice
    Choose either:
    -Ham bat
    [Pros]
        +Doesn't break
        +Can be used until the fight ends
    [Cons]
        -Damage reduction overtime, this is more noticable if you fight the boss too long.
        -Doesn't drain Lunacy; If your Lunacy is high in this fight, you'll be annoyed by gestalts.

-Dark Swords (at least 6; use 3.04 swords if you have ~3 spicy goat jellies)
    [Pros]
        +Steady 68 Damage (122 with spicy goatjelly, on chars w/ default damage multiplier)
        +Drains Lunacy, at the very least
    [Cons]
        -Has only 100 uses before breaking
        -Requires Nightmare Fuel to craft, lots of them

-Armor
    -At least 2-3 Thulecite Crown, more if you are not confident
     OR
    -Multiple Wigfrid/Pig skin helmets.

-Walking Cane (This is needed to avoid the phase 2 spin attack)

Why Thulecite Crown?
This boss shreds Wigfrid's helms down below 40% quickly. Most of its attacks deal more than 120 damage, per hit.
You know what would happen to the football helms, no?
Also, if you happen to screw up and get hit, there's a chance the crown will save you from being stun-locked.
This is especially true in Phase 2 where the Champion's spin attack does rapid damage to you.

[PREP - Optional]
-Snare clearing
    -Weather Pain
        In Phase III, the boss absolutely loves hiding behind those devilish sleepy crystals.
        Bring 1-2 of these to clear them. One should be enough if you don't fight for long.

-Extra Armor
    -Bone Armor
    This thing is OP in every fight. If you have this, you may not even have to use up more than 1 crown.

-Lunacy Reduction; For those who doesn't like sleeping mid-fight
    -Glommer Goop
        This combines Green cap and Pierogi altogether. If you have lots of those, go ham.
    TIPS: You can murder Glommer every day after assembling the altars. It'll respawn every night, just make sure to kill it before night falls.

-Green cap
        The classic way to reduce sanity, or lunacy in this case. If you have plenty, use them. They don't have to be fresh, even spoiled ones work.

-Nightmare Amulet
        This suits Wigfrid since she does not have efficient ways to reduce her Lunacy. 

Keep in mind this prep isn't made for Wendy or Wes because of their -25% damage multiplier; I didn't do maths for them..

[THE FIGHT]
I'll be covering how to dodge the attacks. When you find an opportunity to land hits, do so as much as you possibly can.

~ Phase I ~
Where it starts! In this phase, the boss will:
    [Direct Attacks]
        -Roll around multiple times
            This one is easy to dodge. Just run in a triangular manner away from where it rolls at you and that's it.

-Slam the ground in place
            It'll do this for 4-6 times. Never more than 6, never less than 4.
            The range is quite short, and it stays in place, so this one isn't lethal. You can be as near as this:
    [Indirect Attacks]
        -Dig itself into the ground
            This is the Champion's self defense method, present only in this phase.
            While in the ground, it takes 80% less damage AND summon Gestalts near it.
            If you don't run out of its range, it'll bombard you with Gestalts and you'll be sure to fall asleep.
            No health damage.

Tips:
Land 1-2 additional hits when the boss prepares to roll; its initial walking animation won't cause damage, only the actual roll does.
Here's how it works:

~ Phase II ~
It's not over! The Champion just now knows how to kill you under its bladed arms.
    [Attacks]
        -Melee Attack
            A simple attack, BUT don't you dare think it's not deadly. Still, the range is not that big, but don't be so close just like I did:

-Greater Gestalt Summon
            Not your average gestalts in your face anymore; These are Greater Gestalts and you know they'll punch you with 180 damage.
            Just strafe in a direction. Left or Right, you choose.

-Spin Attack
            The deadly one. You can get stunlocked if you're not careful with this. It's easy to dodge though; just run. This is also the part where the walking cane is needed.
Extras: This is how fast it shreds down a helmet & how bad the stunlock is  
        -Spike Attack
            The boss will summon spikes to attempt to trap you. This is, however, also easy to avoid. Walk right into the boss once it finishes drilling into the ground:
             Tips:
The boss has a spinning cooldown, along with its other attacks. Land as many hits as you can when it had just spun, preferrably not more than 7-8.

~ Phase III ~
Thing's close to dying. Now, it has lasers... but let's finish it.
    [Attacks]
        -Melee Attack
            Contrary to popular belief, this attack only hits 2 times and not rapidly. Again, get away when it digs into the ground.

-Gestalt Summon, II
            This is lethal, but simple to get away. Run out of the blue circle that appears around the boss and it'll stop.
            This attack also deals rapid melee damage to whoever is near the boss, using the same animation as the regular one.
        -Lasers
            These obviously deal damage, and increases Lunacy by 10 per hit.
            There's a way to distinguish between Straight and Curved laser attacks.
            If it's Curved, the boss will spin itself, then fires the laser. Dodge: Move up or down a bit.
            If it's Straight, it'll squeeze upwards into itself, then fires the laser. Dodge: Move left or right.
Curved:
Straight:         -Enlightened Snares
            The boss will summon these crystals from the skies. They also deal damage on direct impact.
            These things will slowly put you to sleep if you go near them for too long.
            Unlike AFW, this summon does not benefit the Champion's stats, but are rather there to annoy you.

Tips: Try to be close to the boss as much as possible. The Champion usually prefers its melee attack more than lasers if there are close targets. You shouldn't stay in there too long however; the snares can break themselves and it'll summon more.

[Final notes]
-This is probably one of the few bosses in the game where you can land up to 10 hits without taking damage.
-The Champion itself isn't as tough as the Ancient Fuelweaver, as it can't become invulnerable and also heal itself. It just has a large healthpool.
-If you are great at dodging, use bone helm to negate Lunacy entirely.

And here's my fight with spicy goat jelly & bone armor.

(Recorded at 6 in the morning, bruh I sucked at dodging most of them)
Leave your thoughts down below. Is this fight just tedious, or is it simple?
Good luck on your runs y'all.

Great guide, I'd like to add that doing the fight while the boss is wet, either through rain or water balloons, helps alot. Also I found blow darts for the last phase made it manageable for a solo Maxwell player like myself.

4 hours ago, CutChemist said:

or water balloons

Are they really susceptible to Water Balloons? That's a pretty big distinction because not many other raid bosses get wet by them and it would help a lot. That would be awesome.

16 minutes ago, Owlrus said:

Are they really susceptible to Water Balloons? That's a pretty big distinction because not many other raid bosses get wet by them and it would help a lot. That would be awesome.

You know what I forgot about that , I was all ready to use them but a heavy rain fell so I didn't need them. I'll have to test it, unless someone has already 

This is a very extensive guide, thank you! I'll certainly be using this very soon.

5 hours ago, Baguettes said:

Dark sword:

-Has only 100 uses before breaking

If you have a Wigfrid on the team, make sure you utilize the Weaponized Warble. You can cut the durability cost by a considerable amount.

3 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

Thanks so much for this guide! I will study this more than I did for any test in school.

Cant wait for the console release!

Edit: Its working now. It was my wifi haha

Wait console is out???

Nvm I must have misunderstood 

Archived