A few QoL Suggestion

1. Fire staff & night light: Apparently you can use fire staff to turn on night light in RoG. That's actually a decent way of having stylish light, since you will be saving a ton of nightmare fuel in exchange for a red gem which will be abundant anyway. That would be nice in DST too. And by the way, I also think it's the ice staff which needs to have nightmare fuel in its recipe, not fire staff. Cause right now, ice staff is way too easily made for its value.

2. Shelmet: Considering how getting this item is such a pain in the ass, it needs to have more durability. Even with the fastest methods of farming slurters, it's still inconvenience and tedious. Or at least let us repair them with broken shells!

3. Log suit: Am I the only person who thinks log suits need to be cheaper? Like, look how marble armor has become a lot better since they reduced its crafting materials. I think 6 or even 4 logs for a suit would be much better.. Considering it still needs 2 ropes and the body slot, I don't think this is asking for too much. Speaking of body slot,

4. Every single insulation body cloth: You know this, I know this, everyone knows this. The insulation clothes that are used for body are not practical in the slightest because they need you to give up your backpack. This wasn't much of a problem in the single player version since you can just carry chester instead, but when it comes to multiplayer, there is only one chester. The solution? Give body clothes their own slot. That's it. That way, a ton of items would suddenly become a lot more useful (Especially belt of hunger)

5. Waterfowl can: This is an item which can be obtained from one the worst bosses in the game (Because every single aspect of it is tedious and boring; Finding and fighting) Yet, you can just make 4 normal watering cans to completely replace it. Like, I do a lot of farming and I have never used this cause it's just not worth it! Make it hold infinite water. It's not op. It just removes inconvenience of visiting ponds every now and then, and also makes the boss fight worth the hustle.

6. Pumpkin lanterns: I know you can destroy them to get the fireflies back, but the constantLu stress and fear of forgetting to smash it and losing the fireflies, discourages everybody from making it. They should release their butterflies even when they perish. That way, they could be a decent light source for some situations. For example, under a meat effigy.

7. Luxury fan: Expensive. Way too expensive. Make it cheaper so that it could be a viable option for cooling. I mean it's still a good item as a portable flingomatic but come on...

8. Fish: Please add a fish farm of sorts to DST. Even if it's a boss drop, that would be fine because fishsticks and surf n turf are absolutely worth it. Right now however, they're not; Unless you happen to visit the swamp and find some suicidal merms, or fish in the oasis to get the loot, which is most likely done only once. after that, most people usually don't bother with fish because it's waaaay to slow.

9. Hounds' teeth: Overabundance of hound tooth has always been irritating, since the only way to get rid of them effectively is by lureplants. The problem is, they don't have as much demand as their supply. Considering how farming bone shards is so tedious, I'd say let us craft bone shards out of hound teeth. This would be incredibly useful for Warly and Wormwood, and also mega basers which might want sandy turf.

10. Wickerbottom: She doesn't really have a proper downside. The food spoilage penalty is nothing since unless you're WX, people usually never eat stale food. One way to make her a bit more balanced, is making sanity a requirement for reading books, so that they can't just spam the f out of them. It makes them have a reasonable cost and actually makes sense (Everyone needs their brain to be in good condition in order to be in reading mood)

11. Lazy deserter: One way to really make this item something special, is giving it the ability to be sent via deserters by another player. Currently, the only real use of this item is returning from far places to base, if there is another player in base and if you have remembered to take a desert stone with you. But let's say, there was an option which you could start touching it, and then another player comes and touches it and they will be able to send you to another one on the map. Or maybe there could be some sort of "central lazy deserter" which acts like a control panel, and can be used to control the other ones? And this one's blueprint only drops when you kill antlion? I dunno there are a lot of ways to improve this item so that the inconvenience of getting around the map in the late game is no more (If you have people to play with you, that is)

12. Shovel: We need to have a legendary shovel or something, capable of digging reeds, light flowers, etc. And of course it needs to be a boss drop because it's way too useful to be crafted normally. And giving it a low durability means you will need to kill the boss multiple times to have a decent supply of those resources. The thing is, having resources that are usually far from the player and pretty scattered, is not adding to the game's challenge. It makes is tedious and discouraging. That's why a lot of people don't consider using moggles that much, or farming darts unless there is a reed trap.

50 minutes ago, Omid.R.G said:

8. Fish: Please add a fish farm of sorts to DST. Even if it's a boss drop, that would be fine because fishsticks and surf n turf are absolutely worth it. Right now however, they're not; Unless you happen to visit the swamp and find some suicidal merms, or fish in the oasis to get the loot, which is most likely done only once. after that, most people usually don't bother with fish because it's waaaay to slow.

Have you tried setting up Barnacle/Sea Weed farms? Because barnacles are pretty much DST's version of fish Farms, each barnacle has a .25 fish and .25 meat value in the crockpot and it's very low maintenance once you set it up. Two barnacles, one ice and one twig is a very nice and easy recipe for fish sticks.

Accidentally hid my first post and now I can't undo it for whatever reason.. here it is:

I took the time to reply to each suggestion as I think a bunch of them are really great and have some suggestions on tweaking certain ones =) all obviously just my two cents!

1. Couldn't agree more re night light and fire staff, any buff to night lights is fantastic cause right now they're garbage.

2. Shellmets and the body armor are certainly hard to obtain in large amounts and fixing them with broken shells would be kind of neat but given how strong they can be in certain situations not sure how necessary this is.

3. I don't use log armor ever, I rarely use body armor at all because krampus sack and I main wig so head armor is king. That being said it is a little expensive and marble armor became cheaper so why not?

4. Completely agree re body slot items generally not being worth it cause backpacks. I've seen this suggestion a lot and while giving backpacks their own slot would be great it would be crazy strong being able to wear body armor and a backpack or seasonal gear and a backpack. Most combat or weather threats would become non existent. If I could wear both I'd never take off belt of hunger/krampus sack and would still use head armor, that would be way too strong. I've never seen a good alternative but I'd love a change that makes seasonal gear and body armor more worthwhile. The best suggestion I've seen is giving clothing limited inventory slots so they're a bit better but honestly even with this change I wouldn't use clothing/armor items in the chest slot because to me personally more slots is stronger than anything else. 

5. I actually disagree here, I like fighting malbatross and I like her loot too. The farming update came out and I have/had a long term world that I play and I simply made several of the waterfowl can and have never made a normal one. I've never had one drop below like 75% before refilling it, they last forever and if you have more than one you only need to refill them once in a blue moon. I don't see any need to buff it as it already lasts a really long time as is.

6. 100% agree, pumpkin lanterns are a HUGE waste of fireflies especially given that once you have all the fireflies in your world you only get 3 a year via the Oasis. Pumpkin lanterns look great for decoration and are functional light sources, having them be viable would be fantastic. I actually didn't even know you could get the firefly back by smashing them but thats risky and they should indeed drop it no matter what.

7. I don't use this item so I have no thoughts.

8. While I do want some sort of cool aquarium or something similar to a fish farm in the game, there is a very easy way to amass fish. Build a large pen with walls - build like 8-10 bunny hutches inside - swap to Wurt, change the turf to swap turf and build 8-10 Merm huts inside as well - Profit! Every night the merms and bunnymen will fight to the death and during the day you can run in and collect all the loot. This provides bunny puffs, meat, fish, frogs legs, rot and rotting fish and you never have to go fishing for fish again! Literally the only loot you will lose is carrots because the Merms and Bunnymen will eat them. I'm actually really proud of this farm as I came up with it myself and it works really well. I'm actually pretty lazy and only harvest it occasionally but if I gathered from it regularly I would very likely be able to survive off it alone for food. Build this farm and you will never need to go fishing again.

9. A few days ago I probably wouldn't have agreed with this... but now as someone trying to fill up my Oasis desert with sand turf to cover up all the bald patches any additional way to get more bone shards (without using up Deer Antlers - I know this is a thing but I'd rather keep my antlers stocked up for Klaus plus one shard for each one antler is meh - hammering fish bones is far more lucrative and the farm I mentioned in 8 helps with this) would be fantastic and hounds teeth do indeed become insanely abundant. If anything though I'd rather just have some new crafts with teeth down the line and have crafting turfs give you more than just one at a time (2 would be fair in my opinion) rather than being able to turn teeth into bone shards - after all teeth and bones are not made of the same material.

10. Wicker and Wolfgang need very special reworks that make them more interesting to play and give them some unique new roles or perks so that they are still improved while also making them overall... weaker.. (at least in the areas they seem busted) especially Wolfgang (I won't go on a Wig rant but seriously... Wolf needs nerfs so a huge part of the community stop it with the Wig is just a shitty Wolf argument).
I actually do like the Sanity cost for reading books idea to stop them being so spammable, would be like the hallowed nights potions - if you don't have the sanity to craft them you can't. If reading the books reduces your sanity and is in a way a cost of using them then yeah you shouldn't be able to use them at zero sanity. To me personally her biggest downside is no sleeping because it means no Winters Feast gifts!!

11. I play almost predominantly solo so I can't really comment here but honestly desert stones need a new use.... The Lazy Deserter is a multplayer only item YET it can be used EXTREMELY well as an insanity station to farm nightmare fuel OR as an insanity station on Lunar island to completely avoid enlightenment. Once you have a few set up where you want them though desert stones become COMPLETELY and utterly useless in solo. Yeah blah blah its a multiplayer game but pretty much every single other item including the deserter itself can certainly be used in solo in some way or another, the desert stone desperately needs a new use of some sort.

12. While I do want an item like this it should be very hard to obtain and make and should still be limited in what it can move, I think stuff like reeds and cacti are totally fine (yes this would be strong but lock it behind a boss that you have to beat lunar guardian to unlock and it would be extremely late game) but light bulbs shouldn't be movable that would just be crazy. I also really want a way to relocate natural mob houses you can't build like Hound Mounds and Catcoon Stumps.. that or them being craftable. Also just because you mentioned Blowdarts there is a blowdart farm setup you can make with Wicker that can generate a STUPID amount of feathers for you, I know you mentioned reeds as the tedious part of making a ton of blowdarts but the feathers aren't easy to amass normally either and this farm at least takes that out of the equation only requiring you to stock up on reeds instead.

19 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Have you tried setting up Barnacle/Sea Weed farms? Because barnacles are pretty much DST's version of fish Farms, each barnacle has a .25 fish and .25 meat value in the crockpot and it's very low maintenance once you set it up. Two barnacles, one ice and one twig is a very nice and easy recipe for fish sticks.

Yes, however there are 2 issues with that: 

1. No surf n turf ;-;

2. They don't turn into rotten fish which means, can't use them to farm bone shards.

7 minutes ago, Omid.R.G said:

Yes, however there are 2 issues with that: 

1. No surf n turf ;-;

2. They don't turn into rotten fish which means, can't use them to farm bone shards.

Did you read my Merm/Bunnyman Farm? Plenty of fish for surf and turf and plenty of rotten fish for bone shards :D

31 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Is there anything special to this other than just building a bunch of boats around sea stacks and turning them into Sea Weeds then harvesting at night? I have a small Barnacle farm but its miles from my base (closest area that had sea stacks relatively close to land) and only provides 15 barnacles each harvest, its nice but it could certainly be better. I think I have two more sea stacks nearby that I could extend to in order to make the farm a little bigger but I just don't know if its worth it because of how rarely I actually gather barnacles (purely the distance from my base).

6 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

Did you read my Merm/Bunnyman Farm? Plenty of fish for surf and turf and plenty of rotten fish for bone shards :D

Oh yea the post just got updated for me.

Though I don't normally like to swap characters, I will give this a try. Hell, I might even be able to get it to work with the regular merm houses. Maybe with how loading and unloaded areas work, this might work.

Btw thanks for your comments. I really hope Klei actually reads these. Like, come on there are so many things that need just a little bit of tweaking yet they will add massive gameplay replayability.

11 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

Is there anything special to this other than just building a bunch of boats around sea stacks and turning them into Sea Weeds then harvesting at night? I have a small Barnacle farm but its miles from my base (closest area that had sea stacks relatively close to land) and only provides 15 barnacles each harvest, its nice but it could certainly be better. I think I have two more sea stacks nearby that I could extend to in order to make the farm a little bigger but I just don't know if its worth it because of how rarely I actually gather barnacles (purely the distance from my base).

Barnacles work best in large quantities. 5 Sea Weeds are peanuts, but 25 Sea Weeds are almost 4 stacks of Barnacles every 10 days or so.

20 minutes ago, Omid.R.G said:

1. No surf n turf ;-;

True, but barnacles help immensely with that. You can make Surf n Turf using 1 Fish Meat, 2 Barnacles and 1 Monster/Leafy Meat, meaning you can cook 1 Surf n Turf for every big ocean fish you catch.

Also, spend a couple of days fishing in the ponds near toadstool and you should get 2+ stacks of dead eels.

1 minute ago, QuartzBeam said:

Barnacles work best in large quantities. 5 Sea Weeds are peanuts, but 25 Sea Weeds are almost 4 stacks of Barnacles every 10 days or so.

Woah.... 25, I'm impressed. I'm guessing this farm is pretty far out in the ocean though? I really don't have that many sea stacks close to shore and even when they are its only a few and not a whole ton.

6 minutes ago, Omid.R.G said:

Oh yea the post just got updated for me.

Though I don't normally like to swap characters, I will give this a try. Hell, I might even be able to get it to work with the regular merm houses. Maybe with how loading and unloaded areas work, this might work.

Btw thanks for your comments. I really hope Klei actually reads these. Like, come on there are so many things that need just a little bit of tweaking yet they will add massive gameplay replayability.

Yeah you can do it with normal merm houses, just put a ton of Bunnymen in your swamp near their houses.

Anytime! Yep there are so many QoL tweaks that would be huge improvements to gameplay, we seem to get quite a few QoL changes so hopefully some of these will be implemented in some fashion down the line

3 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

Woah.... 25, I'm impressed. I'm guessing this farm is pretty far out in the ocean though? I really don't have that many sea stacks close to shore and even when they are its only a few and not a whole ton.

It wasn't that far really. And it was close to base, so I just had to sail in a straight line for half a minute.

Also, if you harvest the Sea Sprouts before the full moon, they'll never turn into Sea Weeds, which means you can harvest them whenever you want.

4. Insulation clothing can stack and last an extremely long time. And giving up your backpack is totally doable. I don’t think the multiplayer argument makes sense either. Two people can carry double the things as one person. And you can share Chester; if you’re going on some expedition and need extra space you can just take Chester out for a bit.

5. I wouldn’t mind if the waterfowl can received a little buff, sure. Like being able to refill it from the ocean. But how is “every single aspect of the boss” tedious and boring? Have you actually fought malbatross before? Finding her is easy since you can spawn her from any of her shoals by fishing up the deep bass there. And she only has 5000 health; less than moose goose and antlion. You can often kill her before she has the chance to dive or fly away even.

7. The luxury fan is actually extremely cheap. One moose goose plus moslings kill always nets at least 15 feathers. That’s enough to make THREE luxury fans. Eyebrella + luxury fan is all you need for summer on the surface! And 1 summer this way just takes 1 luxury fan (most likely much less because of time spent in the caves and near cooling sources).

10. Okay? And her upsides? Her tentacle book really only has a couple practical uses. And fire farms tend to work much better. Birds of the world and sleepy time stories is mostly just used for krampus farms. Morsels and feathers I guess can be nice but nothing especially significant imo. Horticulture is kind of nice for getting farms started, but that’s about it. Silviculture is good for late game lureplant grass and twig farming, as it should be. Her books mostly have a couple niche uses that can be done easily with non-character specific methods.

Archived