Canonically do the characters age?

26 minutes ago, someonenoone11 said:

Do characters canonically age? Or will Webber, Wendy, and Wurt never grow up?

Time does pass from short to short but it is unclear by how much. 

For example, time passed from when Wilson was on the throne to when he was farming in RWYS. How much time passed though? Who knows.

The problem though is that even if time passes it most likely won't affect the characters, for lore reasons or otherwise. 

Kinda how time passes in pokemon canonically but Ash is still a 10 year old.

40 minutes ago, someonenoone11 said:

Do characters canonically age? Or will Webber, Wendy, and Wurt never grow up?

they may be aging but not according to constant days

Wagstaff says "A conspicuosly rapid sunset! Time must flow strangely here" when its dusk, so that seems to confirm that time goes faster in the constant, which means, if I did the maths correctly and Im not a complete dummy, that time goes 180 times faster than in earth (180 constant days fit in 1 earth day). This would mean that characters could age but would feel like the process takes an extremely long time, since they probably age at their normal rate

I think it’s like groundhog’s day for the humans, they keep eternally living new experiences and learning but they don’t age. 

Maybe the constant’s beings will get some form of progression: Wurt seems to belong to whatever universe the merms come from so I’d guess she will age to be a warrior merm (or queen merm) at some point.

Wortox seems to be timeless as we don’t really know how imps grow old (or if they do at all).

Webber’s spider could see some evolution I guess, same for Wormwood.

Given his Luck Wes could be the only one to grow old.

Probably not. What's the point of eternal confinement if one can die of old age?

Maxwell dusted away after being freed from the throne in a 'all my years are catching up to me' -style, yet he later shrugged at it when confronted by Wilson.

So even if the survivors age in the Constant they don't age irl. After dying they return to the age they had arrived at.

25 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Probably not. What's the point of eternal confinement if one can die of old age?

Maxwell dusted away after being freed from the throne in a 'all my years are catching up to me' -style, yet he later shrugged at it when confronted by Wilson.

So even if the survivors age in the Constant they don't age irl. After dying they return to the age they had arrived at.

The idea that the characters age in the Constant at their natural rates, but then revert (physically, not mentally) back to their young self every time they die is very intriguing. 

Wilson must not age at all then. :wilson_laugh:

Aside from that joke, if that is so... then time in the Constant must go by much faster, right? The time between 1906 and 1921 (how long Maxwell was on the throne) isn’t really enough for a person’s life span to transpire, is it? But then, we might want to consider the possibility that Maxwell, while imprisoned on the throne, could have been starving all the while, wasting away but not allowed to die to escape his suffering. And humans don’t tend to last super long without sustenance lest there being some otherworldly disembodied force sadistically prolonging your lifespan.

4 hours ago, Wardin25 said:

Not an answer but similar, when wurt grows up, will she look like the merms in the marsh or will she look different (she seems to have a head way bigger than those of normal merms)

Human children also have abnormally large heads relative to their bodies. I would say most animals do but I bet bugs or something make that statement wrong.

Archived