Possible change to rocket interior functionality

I posted this suggestion a while back, but never heard anything about the idea, may be my wording was a bit off. Though I very much like the idea of rocket interiors, I find it a bit tedious to have to click through the rocket list to find one when you have many built, and just moving to a different screen . Plus, all the exploits that come with breaking the bounds of that.

So I came up with a suggestion, but still don't know what other players think of the concept. It would mean rockets would be bigger, but there would be no real potential for exploits and you could see the rest of the planetoid even as you view the interior of the rocket and you could see the interior as you hover over the module or select a duplicant that is in there. They could move through the rocket form left and right side without moving to a new pocket dimension. It would be a lot of work, but I think it would be cool and worthwhile to implement.

rocketSetupDLCn2.thumb.png.4dee8e22d6e86b5e84bd384a0abd55ab.png

I personally prefer the current implementation. Rockets that huge would be really tedious to work with, and I don't think "no potential for exploits" is a huge concern when you have to go out of your way to do them and they can be patched if they're a big enough issue. Plus, when a rocket is in space it'd have to go back to being a pocket dimension regardless.

I would like it if rockets could be renamed. That would make it much easier to distinguish rockets in the planetoid list. I'm not even sure why you can't rename them - you can even rename rocket platforms!

It's a nice concept
they'll have to make the space area on each biome taller but it nerf free solar power a little bit (space)
the tiles and walls will be annoying. it might destroy the game because we haven't see any movable tile and wall yet. not to mention that you might want to build a rocket in a big building full of walls.
the tiles in space have to be unbreakable but I do want to see the future of space base: rockets on same hex will appear in a same pocket dimension, wall breakable
to compare, the released rocket is a given machine (ex: oil refinery), the present dlc rocket is the given machine with automation we made around it (oil refinery with timer/temperature or hydro sensor set for your need), and this will be a complex building to make work better (petroleum/nat gas boiler)
I'll do with any

Just now, N00bieMeap said:

they'll have to make the space area on each biome taller but it nerf free solar power a little bit (space)

The space area should be taller regardless for taller rockets to be fair, may be even x3 as tall since the biome's height can end up requiring you to move the entire base of the rocket down and rebuild the rocket. For nuclear powered rockets that could be a lot of wasted fuel.

1 hour ago, Electroely said:

I personally prefer the current implementation. Rockets that huge would be really tedious to work with, and I don't think "no potential for exploits" is a huge concern when you have to go out of your way to do them and they can be patched if they're a big enough issue. Plus, when a rocket is in space it'd have to go back to being a pocket dimension regardless.

That is true, the "pocket dimension" would still need to exist for the rocket when in space, unless the entire space map was turned into a tile system, which is probably too much processing. A lot of the time rockets will be on surface of planetoids and keeping the switching between screens to a minimum would be great. I heard some people don't even like to switch between just a few asteroids, so I can only imagine what doing so for multiple rockets every time must feel like.

Exploits would be negated by the fact that even if you could somehow manage to extend the width and height of the rocket while in space, when landing or launching, that space would still be filled by the rocket and need space to navigate around. Plus the fact that the rocket height as opposed to module amount weight is now the calculation for whether a rocket can launch could limit that further. And no more creating space by covering entire planetoids with rocket capsule modules, which is ridiculous that it works.

1 hour ago, Electroely said:

I would like it if rockets could be renamed. That would make it much easier to distinguish rockets in the planetoid list. I'm not even sure why you can't rename them - you can even rename rocket platforms!

Strange that has not been implemented by now, but I agree.

Honestly the fact the rocket currently is larger inside than outside I considered a kind of peculiar.

Also the impossiblity of for example cooling a rocket interior (other than say bring ice in).. so actually it would be very nice if the rocket interior would be just part of the normal map where you can run pipes in and out as you wish.

However, the main issue is likely this is way more difficult to the game engine than current implementation. It would require taking anything in the rocket and jump move it to the pocket dimension on start.. and keeping all the tasks and setting intact. And even more difficult on landing it would have to be reintegrated with the planetoid pipe system, possible overlap of ports etc. I see how from the coding perspective this sounds complicated.

PS: Another thing, it would be cool to see the whole rocket in space pocket dimension please instead of just the interior floating by itself. (And I couldn't find where I could see how much oxygen I had left in my tank)

Devs can't do that because of the nature of the simulation being Cellular Automata. Asteroids it seems are all part of one grid of cells and rocket interiors are each a small separate grid. And you have "jump points" between the grids to enable pathfinding (so dupes are able to calculate path from the asteroid into the rocket and do stuff).

To implement your proposal (meaning rockets are part of the world), it would require you to either move each of the rocket cells up/down when it's taking off or landing (this would mess up the Cellular Automata cell update flow and it's not performant overall), or to rip out rocket cells into new grid on take-off and put them back into world grid on landing (just in the beginning of take-off or end of landing to eliminate the need to move those cells in the world grid as it was done in the first option). This second option will introduce weird behavior for the player (rockets wouldn't interact with anything on their way during landing/take-off which would piss off some people :) ).

So either performance impact (+huge overhaul of the core of this game - Cellular Automata), or inconsistent and not obvious behavior and angry players as result.

TLDR: no.

On 4/25/2021 at 8:48 PM, Electroely said:

In the meantime you can use this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2359640901

It works for rockets also :)

One way to look at this is when you build stuff in rockets its built in a more compact and integrated form :)

While i agree that the rocket selection is a little awkward I don't think this is the solution from technical implementation stand point or a game mechanics stand point.

This also will limit possible future in expansion of rocket interiors.

Archived