should I worry? how long to the end....

E77DB7138819BB4ECCEADC98F521037FD3D15A5F

Standard start... (previous dev build, not the one from yesterday) and.. no renewable source to be seen (geyser).

I'm not concern about food, nor energy (I'd like the population to be low, 3-5 dupes) but about oxygen.

There are two options I can see (and I count on you to expand :) ):

1/ use the polluted water (last count N=99 tiles). It will be enough for 270 cycles :)

Spoiler

~100 tiles ~1000 kg polluted water so : 100 000 kg

seive will convert pWater into water

electrolyser convert 1 kg/sec water into 888 g/s O2

my 5 dupes breath 326 kg / cycle <=> 544 g/s O²

water use is 544/888 kg/sec (366 kg/cycle)

So the 100 000 kg stock will last 272 cycles.. enough to get a new idea :)

2/ use CO² to create polluted water (hence water, and O² at the end). Not yet calculated, but that may be not enough to get O²...

3/ err.. any ideas ? :)

Check the starmap and see what geysers your planetoid has.. also for the one linked with transporters (you can also easily transport gases with the cargo transporters) and if so they really should be somewhere. From my first spaced out game, I simply forwarded the electrolyed oxygen from the started planetoid to the other linked by transporters.

Other than that, you can also generate oxygen from nothing: wood (free from wild plants plantable with pigs)-> woodburner -> co2 -> slickster -> oil -> refinery -> petroluem -> polluted -> either in an oxidation array, or turn to water either with scrubber or via steam -> electrolyzer -> oxygen. It's quite a setup tough to get a significant amount.

The way I see it you have two options:

1) embrace the no water geyser challenge: produce all your oxygen from some combination of wild arbor trees, petroleum boiler loop, and drecko plastic sour gas.

2) fly to the entire freaking planet made of water, and start shipping water home.  I think it even has water geysers so it won't even run out.

2 hours ago, Argelle said:

Standard start... (previous dev build, not the one from yesterday) and.. no renewable source to be seen (geyser).

Judging by your picture you are playing terra start. This usually has 2 cool steam vents guaranteed. One of the two is probably located in the upper right corner and has "natural" cooling by the space biome

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.4f6dfac71d3dcb946702f43f1a967e42.png

@Argelle Don`t be tricked by the word cool, you must imagine its a steam engine talking to you....Then its "cool" :lol:

I call it the beginner-suicide-geyser ( 110 Celsius hot ).

https://oxygennotincluded.fandom.com/wiki/Cool_Steam_Vent

### If you like a hard challenge, your good at the game, like to play with limited resources and know what you are doing, then you can skip my comment :ghost:

thanks for the many tips ! :)

I do indeed start on terra, so if it's geyser garanteed, I'll keep exploring.

@Oxygenbreather (what an appropriate name !) I did not know you can spot the existing geyser on the star map, I missed this as I was onccentrated on the starting biome, (may be next time it should be @babba's one :) ) and not even thinking of space transport :s @ghkbrew @Oxygenbreather not used the transporters yet, you mean this?

image.png.87290fb9a5e02c495089b0238fbee6bf.png

(Image from Klei, not my actual biome)

That's not only for solid transport or do you ship water in bottle?

since the dupes a producing quite alot of polluted water when going to the toilet (or vomitting ) increasing the count of dupes boost the Ph2o production + you get them to being food poisoned they go to the toilet even more. sick and stressed dupes are easier to manage the heat of a steam vent, unless you are ready to build a vent tamer. the teleporter you showed can transfer alot of ressources lquid with the port or/and bottles with the item shipping bin

Don't play this particular asteroid version (DLC's SMALL Terra planetoid start), as it is right now, it really sucks for beginners, you are just given two Cool Steam Vents (the worst type of water source) and besides the volcanoes and really nothing else, not even on the asteroid you teleport to. Good luck figuring that one out.

As of right now, you are better off playing the DLC's BIG Terra planetoid start, or try out the Forest or Swampy starts for the smaller DLC asteroid start variants. All 3 of these options have certain geysers that will provide you everything you could possibly need in close proximity with less frustration and confusion along the way.

just a simple advise - one more option which was not mentioned above - use morbs.

Have two-three outhouses and do not clean them (set to priority one, remove cleaning option in dups tasks, etc.). When they are completely filled up, sealed them for any access. They will start producing morbs. These bacteria produces polluted oxygen from nothing if atmospheric pressure is below 1.5atm. Yes, it is slime lung polluted oxygen but it does not kill your dups. They can breath.

No temperature modulation. Later you can clean the p oxygen from polluted and from germs - many methods - I like to pass the oxygen through chlorine which kills all the germs, also I chill it to liquid and it becomes clean cool oxygen.

Archived