Serious analysis about the usefulness of Wes

23 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

I always liked to use this to bait (and the stunlock is useful if timed well) hounds even playing alone. Was more useful than people believe 

The party balloon is true that is a perfect perk. Very usefull

Life jacket is niche but good and the hat is also useful to prevent lighting damage in spring or fighting goats 

Is just that i wanted more variety. Maybe my fault for being hyped for this rework 

I don't think being hyped was a bad thing but i am curious what would you have preferred they added and with what fuctions?

13 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

I don't think being hyped was a bad thing but i am curious what would you have preferred they added and with what fuctions?

i like what they added but i think was too little things

i would added a weak balloon sword with a durability system like the speedy balloon and an armor that protects a little for just 1 hit

they had the concept arts for a balloon armor and sword but it get discarted

maybe a so weak balloon raft 

and they could added some kind of sanity based pantomime tools instead of the skins 

but just my opinion

Indeed his perk is actually pretty good for certain weapons and scenarios, but for the tool part, despite being slightly more efficient in terms of materials, those said materials are so cheap that it really isn't worth the extra time spend collecting resources imo. So he definitely has a disadvantage in that regard.

Something I didn't see you address is dark swords, which I think are quite interesting as well. Wes deals 51 damage with a dark sword, but has 133 uses, while Wilson deals 68 damage and has 100 uses. This means that if you fight spiders (100 hp) Wes would kill 66,5 spiders with a dark sword, while Wilson will only kill 50, both taking the same amount of hits to kill them. Ofc, it's not generally the best idea to fight spiders with a ds, but it's still a pretty big advantage for Wes. 

The bigger the mob's health, the worse this advantage gets. It is still helpful for fighting nightmares I would say, as Wes would kill 22 Crawling horrors vs Wilson's 20, requiring 6 hits vs Wilson's 5. Terrorbeaks health evens things out tho and they both kill 16, Wes reuiqiring 8 hits vs Wilson's 6; and the total damage dealt with a ds is basically the same.

1 hour ago, BeeClops said:

Indeed his perk is actually pretty good for certain weapons and scenarios, but for the tool part, despite being slightly more efficient in terms of materials, those said materials are so cheap that it really isn't worth the extra time spend collecting resources imo. So he definitely has a disadvantage in that regard.

Something I didn't see you address is dark swords, which I think are quite interesting as well. Wes deals 51 damage with a dark sword, but has 133 uses, while Wilson deals 68 damage and has 100 uses. This means that if you fight spiders (100 hp) Wes would kill 66,5 spiders with a dark sword, while Wilson will only kill 50, both taking the same amount of hits to kill them. Ofc, it's not generally the best idea to fight spiders with a ds, but it's still a pretty big advantage for Wes. 

The bigger the mob's health, the worse this advantage gets. It is still helpful for fighting nightmares I would say, as Wes would kill 22 Crawling horrors vs Wilson's 20, requiring 6 hits vs Wilson's 5. Terrorbeaks health evens things out tho and they both kill 16, Wes reuiqiring 8 hits vs Wilson's 6; and the total damage dealt with a ds is basically the same.

But hambats exists so... I would think a normal person wouldn't waste a darksword on a spider. Hambats are extremely cheap too, just need 4 monster meat.

1 hour ago, HowlVoid said:

But hambats exists so... I would think a normal person wouldn't waste a darksword on a spider. Hambats are extremely cheap too, just need 4 monster meat.

I also said generally it's not the best idea to use ds for spiders, but it is quite significant if you do. Personally I don't use hambats at all after early game, but at the same time I don't fight spiders either so I'm not sure how useful the perk really is, but I still find it interesting that it's somewhat more efficient vs some mobs. Hounds would be a better example I guess

28 minutes ago, BeeClops said:

I also said generally it's not the best idea to use ds for spiders, but it is quite significant if you do. Personally I don't use hambats at all after early game, but at the same time I don't fight spiders either so I'm not sure how useful the perk really is, but I still find it interesting that it's somewhat more efficient vs some mobs. Hounds would be a better example I guess

Oh my bad, somehow I missed that. Quick question, what do you use for a main weapon? Glass cutters? I also don't generally fight anything but bosses late game but will make a hambat for hound waves.  

On 4/11/2021 at 6:00 PM, Mike23Ua said:

I seriously and honestly just want a “Fly Balloon” add it as another Craftable balloon.. let it cost more Sanity to craft or something- but it’s main use is to float small distances over streams of water- Instead of building a Boat Kit to plop down in a Stream.... we should be utilizing characters and their unique abilities & this would be just one more “thing” Wes could have that wouldn’t make him OP.. but would make him more useful.

Got a Boat that just barely floated away from shore and you don’t want to build a second boat to go fetch it? Wes.. Craft Fly Balloon, Float: Recover Boat.

I really don’t see why they won’t let Wes have a “Fly Balloon” it makes me sad.. :( 

Now that would be cool. A fly balloon would not only make him unique but also be a hot item for teammates.

8 hours ago, SaphironX said:

Now that would be cool. A fly balloon would not only make him unique but also be a hot item for teammates.

Klei probably tested it and found it to be to troublesome to be worthwhile.. idk-

I just know there were two possible ways of animating it that would’ve looked neat and fitting for the character, This one:

Spoiler

6A9527B1-762A-4C76-802C-6052B4F48198.thumb.jpeg.2d0b0a32ae53e7b3a1d742a5002f1778.jpeg

Or.. This one- 

Spoiler

E2005664-A37E-444D-9BA6-4CA5C3BF6151.jpeg.a0056f666a13341bb272ab6ec9f3aa46.jpeg

while I’m a huge fan of old classic Movies/shows like Marry Poppins & the first option would be quite lovely- Klei’s own menu screen animation has him floating around inside a gigantic balloon.. 

I guess it just comes down to personal preferences as to which Animation you want the “Floating Ability” to use?

Which.. would probably be an opportune moment to also give it a skin for both ;) 

(it’s unlikely any of this will actually ever happen.. but it never hurts to discuss what if it did!)

11 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

Oh my bad, somehow I missed that. Quick question, what do you use for a main weapon? Glass cutters? I also don't generally fight anything but bosses late game but will make a hambat for hound waves.  

I use almost exclusively dark swords, it is costly in terms of nmfuel and I eat through it a lot but if I regen ruins often I never need to farm it outside of clearing ruins. I also got used to putting the bone helm on and killing some after boss fights until goat jelly effect wears off. I do keep a wrapped hambat at the goat pens and the pig farm that's true, tho I'm never farming the pigs.

It comes down to inventory management probably more than dmg output for me, I do carry nmfuel all the time to refuel magi and bone armor, so I only need living logs extra for swords, while for hambat I would need 3 inventory slots that I don't use for anything else, plus the meat spoilage thing. I know I could keep a hambat bundle, but I do enough bundling already so I wouldn't want more :D .

Archived