Why does abyssalite have temperature at all?

First, I remember when you could build with the stuff, and that update is way in the past so why does abyssalite still have temperature? Can't it be like neutronium with a temp of N/A? I would think that would be a good fix the bug where hot abyssalite can flash-boil liquids.

1 hour ago, nakomaru said:

Flash boiling is an unambiguously intended feature and it depends on materials having a temperature.

Flash boiling alone: Yes. instantly Flash boiling off a material that has 0 thermal conductivity: Absolutely not

The really hot abyssalite from the magma biome can actually provide with most liquid metals after you build a tempshift plate on them. For example: two tiles over 1600ºC will quickly provide a nice puddle of aluminium in less than a cycle, I tested with one made from the ore even. Mind your melting temps.

17 minutes ago, Flamingkitty said:

Flash boiling off a material that has 0 thermal conductivity: Absolutely not

Its TC value is actually a non-zero value, it's just that it's very close to zero. So surprise-sour gas, yes. Courtesy of ONI-DB:

image.png.2c1355fb0c6062d2f471a223e6e35512.png

I only wish more could be done with it after mining it...

5 minutes ago, JRup said:

The really hot abyssalite from the magma biome can actually provide with most liquid metals after you build a tempshift plate on them. For example: two tiles over 1600ºC will quickly provide a nice puddle of aluminium in less than a cycle, I tested with one made from the ore even. Mind your melting temps.

Its TC value is actually a non-zero value, it's just that it's very close to zero. So surprise-sour gas, yes. Courtesy of ONI-DB:

image.png.2c1355fb0c6062d2f471a223e6e35512.png

I only wish more could be done with it after mining it...

ok, even with a thermal conductivity of 0.00001, it shouldn't instantly flash 30 degree water to 500 degree steam, it should take a long time for a thermal conductivity that low to transfer heat.

5 hours ago, Flamingkitty said:

Flash boiling alone: Yes. instantly Flash boiling off a material that has 0 thermal conductivity: Absolutely not

4 hours ago, Flamingkitty said:

ok, even with a thermal conductivity of 0.00001, it shouldn't instantly flash 30 degree water to 500 degree steam, it should take a long time for a thermal conductivity that low to transfer heat.

I guess this means "please remove flash boiling from the game - I prefer only ordinary conduction"

The flash boiling mechanic is intended, as you can see from their mentioning and revising it in the patch notes. And it doesn't use thermal conductivity, so abysallite's TC could be truly 0 and it wouldn't matter. If you don't like that the 600 C stuff you found on your map is boiling things, there are many ways to avoid it.

22 hours ago, Flamingkitty said:

Abyssalite doesn't have a conductivity of 0.  It has a conductivity of NEAR zero.  This is a crucial difference.  You CAN change its temperature slowly using thermal plates or metal tiles and very high (or very low) temperatures.  However, it is also flagged as an insulator -- so two tiles of abyssalite or an insulated tile against an abyssalite tile will not transfer any thermal energy due to rounding the transfer to zero.

Also, ONI only displays 3 digits behind the dot ("%.3d"), but the 23bit resolution IEEE 754 "short" float format used allows calculations for values up to around 6.5 orders of magnitude apart. The reason Abyssalite usually does not heat up unless you have a large temperature difference is, I think, that the transferred energy will be less than 0.1 DTU and is hence dropped:

https://oxygennotincluded.fandom.com/wiki/Thermal_Conductivity

On 4/7/2021 at 8:03 AM, Flamingkitty said:

Devs only fix what they don't like .... long ago we can stack solar panels, well ... not anymore .... toilet stacking is still around and probably won't get fixed.

If something is well known and still around, well ... you just have to live with it (or not xD)

Flash boiling is caused by instant heat transfer between drops of liquid, and solid natural tile that is hotter than the boiling point of the liquid, regardless of tile conductivity.

A usual drop is generally anywhere between 1 gram and 20'000 grams (20KG). At 0.1 grams, the liquid drop is deleted entirely.

This same instant heat transfer can happen in reverse, from a gas which is above melting point of solid natural tile to the tile itself.

This effect is know as "flaking" and produces 5KG drops of molten solid.

In the case below, Lead Gas above 3425C causes Abyssalite to "flash-melt" to Tungsten in 5KG increments, regardless of thermal conductivity of Abyssalite here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkZcTa4EVjg

Abyssalite_Flash_Melting.PNG

thing is even when abyssalite have low thermal conductivity, it still matters allot what material is heating or cooling at there,

for example steel liquid heat goes tho abyssalite wall much faster than the niobium

also neutronium is not the abyssalite , why they should turn two different materials to same?

Archived