The Snails and the Worms (Analysis)

Snails and Worms

So, I decided to make an analysis on Slurtles and Depth Worms, although the main focus is on the slimy boiz, the Depth Worms are just thrown in there to complete the theory.

So, what do we know about the Slurtles? They come out of their mounds after an earthquake, they like to eat minerals, and their hobbies include exploding. A good question to base an analysis off of is “Why?”. Firstly, why do they explode, more precisely, why does their slime explode? This can be easily explained, among the many kinds of minerals they consume, they must eat a lot of Nitre as well, and Nitre is an important ingredient in Gunpowder. Next, why do they only come out after an Earthquake to feed, why aren’t they out and about constantly? Well, I believe this is due to the dangers of the Caves. I believe they have a natural predator, that being none other than the Slurper. Just kidding, it’s the Depth Worm. Those guys attack from below, where their exposed stomachs are, but honestly, with those teeth, I wouldn’t be surprised if they could just crush their way through the shell to the slimy goodness. But we will get into the Depths (get it?) of the reasoning at their own part, a bit later.

Now, let’s discuss their Mounds. What are they made of? Wagstaff says combustible material is the answer, again most likely Nitre. Also, it’s not out of the question that they use minerals not only as sustenance, but also as building material. But not only Wagstaff has interesting quotes related to the Mounds. WX says the Slurtles take off their shells when inside, which would be a good reason to their tankiness. Just a bunch of rocks and shells glued together through highly explosive slime. Furthermore, Wendy suggests that the Slurtles pop out of their dens when they outgrow it. This has no meaning in gameplay, as they only come out when struck, or after an earthquake, as I’ve stated. But this does explain how they would spread, and why there are multiple mounds at one place. When they outgrow it, the few extra Slurtles build a Mound of their own. And as for their reproduction, well, they’re Gastropods. They manage. Some Gastropods can even do it alone. Just don’t think about what’s going on in there too much. You’ll regret it, as did I.

And as a final paragraph, let’s get back to the Depth Worms for a bit. Why would they eat Slurtles? Slurtles aren’t attracted to their lures, they couldn’t care less about nasty fruits. Well, the easy way to explain this, is just through the periodic Worm attacks. They come, whether you like it or not. But the more interesting way to explain this, in my opinion, is that the Worms are just desperate for food. Just Imagine, what are they supposed to eat out there, aside from the occasional lichen and lesser glowberries? Survivors can’t be the answer, those rarely come by, and Maxwell sure didn’t make them as a trap, he’s even surprised to see them exist. Slurpers is a bad choice too, they’re just some hungry hair. And Splumonkeys, oh, those guys wipe the floor with the poor Worms. But then why did they even evolve their Glowberry lures? Well, the answer to that, I believe, are the Ancients. Those bugs did in fact eat veggies and fruits, and they did live in the caves, and there was a lot of them. This answer also explains why the Ancients needed those massive Skeletal Guardians we see on the murals. And with them extinct, the Depth Worms had to look somewhere else for food.

But that pretty much covers my analysis on the Snails and the Worms. I hope you enjoyed it. If I missed anything, alert me.

keep in mind bunnymen really like the glowberries and might be attracted. worms also eat spiders grass and sticks so they are likely omniverous(and as cave spiders all have extra defenses against ground attacks it is feasible they could have evolved to defend against worms as well)

as for 'leaving' their shells it used to be a common thought that snails and slugs were the same animal but with and without the shell(they aren't) so this may be a reflection of that lack of understanding(or else like sea mollusks there would be varying sizes of discards all over as they grew instead of only the odd rarity from killing or looting a chest)

5 minutes ago, gaymime said:

keep in mind bunnymen really like the glowberries and might be attracted. worms also eat spiders grass and sticks so they are likely omniverous(and as cave spiders all have extra defenses against ground attacks it is feasible they could have evolved to defend against worms as well)

Bunnymen don't live in the same area as Worms, though. And on worm hunts, they don't use their lures. As for them being Omnivorous, while I didn't outright state this, I did hint towards it by saying they could eat lichen and lesser glowberries at one part. And the spiders, I like the idea of them evolcing defenses against the Worms, but the Spiders also live near Batalisks, and they might've evolved them gainst the bats originally.

8 minutes ago, gaymime said:

as for 'leaving' their shells it used to be a common thought that snails and slugs were the same animal but with and without the shell(they aren't) so this may be a reflection of that lack of understanding(or else like sea mollusks there would be varying sizes of discards all over as they grew instead of only the odd rarity from killing or looting a chest)

True, but that begs the question, could WX be wrong? True or not, it did support the question why were the mounds that strong, so I just rolled with it. Keep in mind, this is all just a theory.

A Gaem Theory

4 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

Bunnymen don't live in the same area as Worms, though. And on worm hunts, they don't use their lures. As for them being Omnivorous, while I didn't outright state this, I did hint towards it by saying they could eat lichen and lesser glowberries at one part. And the spiders, I like the idea of them evolcing defenses against the Worms, but the Spiders also live near Batalisks, and they might've evolved them gainst the bats originally.

True, but that begs the question, could WX be wrong? True or not, it did support the question why were the mounds that strong, so I just rolled with it. Keep in mind, this is all just a theory.

A Gaem Theory

actually during hunts they do use their lures. once they deaggro they mill around for a bit then put out a lure. eh, the way you structured it sounded like the action was a desperation tactic not a viable food option. i was filling out the consumption habits to make them omnivores instead of non-obligate carnivores. as for locations? hunts don't take into account biomes. eh, they could have evolved in response to multiple environmental stressors ^^ no need to limit them<3

why not? noone said any of the chars were infallible XD it is ok to be limited by your education

also, unless you are telling me to go steal my mum's creditcard to get a pair of overpriced branded socks this isn't really a garme theroy

10 hours ago, DaZoul said:

Bunnymen don't live in the same area as Worms, though. 

Isn't there like that single bunnyman hut that is station at the entrance of the ruins which is near the area of depths worms with his small field of carrots and a pitchfork? 

So am I understanding correctly? That their cocoons are made out of their slime? Wicked. . 

You didnt state why snurtles have different shells. Could it be to differentiate sex? 

Ok, crazy theory... What if some ancients survived and turned into depth worms? Like how the snow elves turned into falmer in skyrim.

7 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

You didnt state why snurtles have different shells. Could it be to differentiate sex? 

I find that unlikely, as they're gastropods. Though, that would explain why they flee, maybe to protect their eggs? Perhaps, originally, I just viewed them as a simple subspecies

Just now, DaZoul said:

I find that unlikely, as they're gastropods. Though, that would explain why they flee, maybe to protect their eggs? Perhaps, originally, I just viewed them as a simple subspecies

And you may be right about that! Who knows what goes in there... Makes me want to poke my head in, but you warned us about that so I wont do it lol. 

On 4/3/2021 at 1:11 AM, HowlVoid said:

Ok, crazy theory... What if some ancients survived and turned into depth worms? Like how the snow elves turned into falmer in skyrim.

I find that highly unlikely. It doesn't make much sense and there's not any evidence to support the theory. If anything I think the worms would've evolved from the centipede creatures from the murals, which have a much stronger resemblance.

8 minutes ago, Blue Moth said:

I find that highly unlikely. It doesn't make much sense and there's not any evidence to support the theory. If anything I think the worms would've evolved from the centipede creatures from the murals, which have a much stronger resemblance.

Aren't the centipedes depictions of the Centripedes?

12 minutes ago, Blue Moth said:

Oh wow who wrote that. Can you believe that guy? Pfft. Im with you bluemoth, that guy? Maaaan what a loser.

1 minute ago, DaZoul said:

Aren't the centipedes depictions of the Centripedes?

I think it's the other way around, the sentrypedes were modeled off the real centipedes. The sentries aren't nearly as detailed as the ones on the murals. I have a theory that the centipedes and the ancients were at war, but the ancients wanted peace and gave tributes to them, and they built the sentrypedes as a peace offering.

Archived