Spawn Protection: Good design, flawed implementation

When most people read "hostile creatures", they probably thought of mobs that would attack you first. However, the actual implementation just checks for mobs with the "hostile" tag, when a significant amount of mobs don't have it—which I'm guessing was unforeseen.

Merms, beefalo in heat, pig guards, killer bees, enraged moslings, even—wait for it—ewecus, which is a particular favorite for spawn trapping in my experience. Not to mention specific cases for monster characters/Wurt/Wigfrid as well as spawners like cave entrances.

The current implementation does protect against some common killers like tentacles/eyeplants/spiders/hounds (not to mention the separate blocker check), but it could be much better. Still, the design idea itself seems pretty bulletproof so far, so hats off to the devs for that one; hopefully it stays that way. :biggrin:

I think this was intended purely for grief protection. Since pig guards cannot be relocated, I assume that their not being encompassed by this is by design, not an oversight. 

A wurt player could try griefing with merms, but this would require a lot of resources. Usually griefers are not that dedicated. 

Anything that's consistently going to aggro on players that get close regardless of conditions or season or character choice, and can be moved by player action, seems like it should get the hostile tag to prevent it from being used for spawn griefing. Not sure what ewecuses are doing without it.

1 hour ago, Majestix said:

I think this was intended purely for grief protection. Since pig guards cannot be relocated, I assume that their not being encompassed by this is by design, not an oversight. 

A wurt player could try griefing with merms, but this would require a lot of resources. Usually griefers are not that dedicated. 

It simply uses a preexisting tag; no specific mobs had the tag added or removed for the update. I don't think they put much thought for the mobs that already have or lack it—even mobs like treeguards are included. It's not conservative in giving the buff.

In any case, I simply rattled off a bunch of mobs that would attack you right after you spawn but don't count towards the buff. I mainly made the post for the ewecus, though.

2 hours ago, Majestix said:

Usually griefers are not dedicated enough to do anything to the postern at all, but here we are.

Archived