Your opinion is spacefarer deconstuction bug  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Your opinion is spacefarer deconstuction bug

• It is gamebreaking and I think it should be fixed ASAP
    • It is very annoying and disincentivises me to use rockets to avoid it
    • It is very annoying, but I still use rockets and try my best to avoid it
    • It isn't really annoying, but fix would be nice
    • I don't care about
    • I think making new content / fixing other bugs should be prioritised over fixing this bug
    • I actively use this bug to gain resources and don't want to rush the fixes
    • This is not a bug

As many other players, I'm exited about release of new update and new game system. However, one thing that concerns me is an old spacefarer module deconstrution bug:

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/klei-bug-tracker/oni_so/deconstructing-nosecone-creates-400kg-diamond-r27176/

According to fresh post on bug tracker, as well as my own quick sandbox testing, this bug is still present in the game. Patch notes also doesn't seem indicate any changes that aimed to fix it.

Personally, it feels disappointing that devs moved to the next game system without fixing this bug. Currently, it forces me to reuse old spacefarer modules and be really mindful about what rockets I build with an artificial reason that doesn't follow logic of the game. I'm concerned about it's lingering presence.

I'm aware that forum complaints might not be at the top of the list of priority-defining factors in dev's decision making, but I feel the need to make this point. Especially when development moved on to new content and old problems would be inevitably pushed further down in backlog.

In order to not be leaved as a lone voice, as well as not to be a guy who tries to speak for the whole forum, I created a poll that would allow other people to represent thier opinions with a quick vote. Please participate and let me, other people, and devs know your opinion on significance of this issue.

I hope that DLC would continue to steadily evolve and deliver great expirience to me and other players. Have a great weekend, everybody!

To be honest i have no clue how easy it is to fix this issue. I personally don't feel very annoyed by it and don't really try to get too concerned about if i deconstruct a rocket or not. I just play the same way.

I feel like crash or balance issues should be adressed first, unless this is a really easy fix.

I thought this was patched.  I haven't seen it happen in a while, but haven't really been looking.  When it was making free steel, that was completely broken and it was a bit frustrating - it threw things off if you needed to deconstruct that module and you'd have a ton of free steel prematurely.  Although my current game has 40 tons of steel on hand and plenty of diamond, so, whatever.  Diamond is useful stuff, but not nearly as game-breaking as free steel.

I have about 100t of steel laying around and like 4t of lime left. You can also get infinite thermium so getting a few kilos of steel and diamond through a bug isn't a real issue imo

Seeing how diamond is currently non-renewable and therefor finite, i think this "bug" might be a nice compromise until we actually get renewable diamond once again. I'm not sayin i don't think it's a stupid way of getting diamond, but atleast a way is better then no way.

I expect it to be fixed in time but I don't sweat it at all. I do not intentionally use it to boost resources or get resources before I would otherwise have access to them, but if I need to deconstruct something I'm not going to avoid doing so either. However if people want the boost to skip past some of the progression and that makes the game more fun for them, more power to them. I haven't tinkered with the console but I would think if it truly bothered people they could use the console to remove the resources.

13 hours ago, SkunkMaster said:

Seeing how diamond is currently non-renewable and therefor finite, i think this "bug" might be a nice compromise until we actually get renewable diamond once again. I'm not sayin i don't think it's a stupid way of getting diamond, but atleast a way is better then no way.

Has diamond ever been renewable?  I know there's mods for that, but other than what you mine in the oil biome, there's no way I know of to get more.

5 hours ago, NewWorldDan said:

Has diamond ever been renewable?

In the base game it was renewable with rockets. Asteroids automatically replenished their resources over time, so you did have "magically" renewable diamond.

16 hours ago, Niil945 said:

I haven't tinkered with the console but I would think if it truly bothered people they could use the console to remove the resources.

Technically, you can enable sandbox and delete extra steel/diamond. However, it disables achievements. And you basically use cheat mode in order to avoid using an exploit. Personally, I feel uncomfortable doing it, but it can be a valid solution.

On 3/12/2021 at 9:56 PM, arvenil said:

Where is an option "I played 600h and I still didn't build single rocket neither in base game or DLC"

IMO "I don't use rockets" statement doesn't really show your opinion about this issue. You aren't interested in rockets? Then you either don't care about this bug, or you are actively against focusing on it because doing so slows down development of new stuff - this already splits the group into two different categories, both of which are reflected in the poll.

23 hours ago, cg_ said:

I have about 100t of steel laying around and like 4t of lime left. You can also get infinite thermium so getting a few kilos of steel and diamond through a bug isn't a real issue imo

Well, there is difference between making a proper setup, getting resources and enjoying the results of your work vs getting something out of thin air. No matter how easy it is to make this setup and produce the ingredients. It doesn't matter if eventually I would be able to produce tonnes of steel later, I don't want to get it for free now, when I can't do so.

2 hours ago, Meltdown said:

Well, there is difference between making a proper setup, getting resources and enjoying the results of your work vs getting something out of thin air. No matter how easy it is to make this setup and produce the ingredients. It doesn't matter if eventually I would be able to produce tonnes of steel later, I don't want to get it for free now, when I can't do so.

I understand your point and i won't argue against it, but, to be honest, unless you are deconstructing every single rocket you send out AND don't go for steel as soon as you can, the amount of resources you get is pretty minimal. That's why i don't see it as a really pertinent issue.

20 hours ago, marioespinho said:

AND don't go for steel as soon as you can

Well, I don't go for steel as soon as I can. Getting steel is an important milestone, but I in my DLC playthroughs I usually do other things first, like producing glass for solar panels and getting reed fiber from space. That way, I usually start to use rockets before I start even working to consistently produce tonnes of steel.

There is no valid way to play the game, so not rushing steel production isn't something that you shouldn't expect from other players.

unless you are deconstructing every single rocket

Rocket deconstruction isn't that common event, but it is realistic to expect deconstruction of some modules, including spacefarer modules, during your playthrough.

You meet this bug when:

• You don't need the rocket and want to remove it entirely;
  • You want to replace one spacefarer module with another;
  • You want to rebuild spacefarer module interior from stracth, so you deconstruct it, because it is quicker and easier to do than to deconstruct everything inside.

I don't think that any of those cases is that much uncommon and shouldn't be considered as something that you may encounter in your game.

the amount of resources you get is pretty minimal

Finally, the amount of steel gained through this bug is 2,4t for small spacefarer module and 3,4t for big one. It is enough resources for any building in the game except monument foundation/mid section. So, you get a few free steel buildings every time you deconstruct those modules - thats not something I would call "minimal".

1 hour ago, Meltdown said:

Well, I don't go for steel as soon as I can. Getting steel is an important milestone, but I in my DLC playthroughs I usually do other things first, like producing glass for solar panels and getting reed fiber from space. That way, I usually start to use rockets before I start even working to consistently produce tonnes of steel.

There is no valid way to play the game, so not rushing steel production isn't something that you shouldn't expect from other players.

Rocket deconstruction isn't that common event, but it is realistic to expect deconstruction of some modules, including spacefarer modules, during your playthrough.

You meet this bug when:

• You don't need the rocket and want to remove it entirely;
  • You want to replace one spacefarer module with another;
  • You want to rebuild spacefarer module interior from stracth, so you deconstruct it, because it is quicker and easier to do than to deconstruct everything inside.

I don't think that any of those cases is that much uncommon and shouldn't be considered as something that you may encounter in your game.

Finally, the amount of steel gained through this bug is 2,4t for small spacefarer module and 3,4t for big one. It is enough resources for any building in the game except monument foundation/mid section. So, you get a few free steel buildings every time you deconstruct those modules - thats not something I would call "minimal".

I'm not trying to tell anyone how they should play their game, and the reason i said that the materials we get are minimal is because i assume people aren't deconstructing rockets left and right since.

But anyway, even if people are constructing and deconstructing modules a lot, i still don't see how is this a gamebreaking bug since you can just ignore the materials until you think it's "fair" to use them. I understand it might be tempting to use the steel since it's there, but i see no reason why you should change the way you play just because you get some materials for free.

12 hours ago, marioespinho said:

'm not trying to tell anyone how they should play their game

You state that negative impact from this bug is a weird corner case, and tie one of the conditions for this case to a progression route. It looks like either you indirectly state that this route is uncommon enough and not to be expected in normal playthrough, or for some reasons highlight condition that can be reasonably expected to be met. The latter is confusing, because it doesn't help to prove that it is really corner case, so I assumed the former.

people aren't deconstructing rockets left and right

There are shades of gray between "deconstructing right and left" and "happens so rarely that overall benefits are pretty minimal", not to mention that even single deconstruction raises your steel stockpiles by notable amount. Yes, the significance drops over time, but I still don't see how it could be considered "minimal".

how is this a gamebreaking bug

Well, I never claimed this is a gamebreaking bug. In terms of my own poll, I'm in "It is very annoying, but I still use rockets and try my best to avoid it" category. So, yes, I could ignore those materials, track down how much steel and diamond is "forbidden" to use, or enable sandbox and get rid of them, but all that is annoying things to deal with and feels wrong.

I'm aware that other people might not be even slightly annoyed with this issue, and it is part of the reason I created the poll.

@Meltdown

Like with every other bug, unintended feature or crash the game has, it has it's annoyances. We have to either deal with them or wait until the game has everything fully implemented.

I just believe we don't need a thread about every little bug that the game currently has, saying how annoying it is. There is a bug section, the devs are aware, all we have to do is wait and they will be addressed over time.

Personally, i feel that this problem has very easy workarounds until they patch it out, and i feel that it can simply be ignored. It's not that big of an issue that makes it urgent to be dealt with. You feel in a different way, and that's fine. We don't all need to agree.

6 hours ago, marioespinho said:

We don't all need to agree.

I agree on that one.

6 hours ago, marioespinho said:

I just believe we don't need a thread about every little bug that the game currently has, saying how annoying it is. There is a bug section, the devs are aware, all we have to do is wait and they will be addressed over time.

I understand that. I'm usually skeptical about other bug threads on general discussion forums. However, with this issue I felt like I have to go against my own standards and try to bring some attention to the situation, for the reasons I described in my initial post.

Archived