Tony Advanced's Hot Steam Tamer

I'm painstakingly building this Hot Steam Tamer by Tony Advanced, but can't place something he was able to place in the video.

Look at the lowest filter gate in the 2 pictures. He can place his, but I get an "automation ports cannot overlap" restriction. This build is very tight, so I don't want to move it someplace else for fear of throwing anything off. What gives? did they change that in an update since this video was made?

His video:

TonysVideo.PNG

My build - note the red restriction - everything else is *exactly* the same (unless Im totally blind)

MyBuild.PNG

Liquid vents had no automation input then. Inputs/Outputs are not allowed to overlap on a tile, only one is allowed.

The introduction of direct automation to vents made some builds easier (no need for shutoffs), some others harder (tight space, need for rerouting).

Thanks, triple, I thought it might be something like that. This wouldn't be the first time I've seen this. It seems half the videos on YouTube are garbage at this point due to game changes. So if someone had this running pre-update, as soon as the game updated their machines would just break one day?

Especially the automation ports for vents (either liquid or gas) broke many of the early builds, cause now you have to bridge over or reroute the automation signal.

Other new automation inputs/outputs are of course affected too, like liquid or gas reservoirs.

For the next poor soul with the same issue, here's my (untested, as I'm not done with the build yet) automation workaround for the Tony Advanced Hot Steam Tamer. It rearranges things so that nothing cuts across the liquid vents. The only other practical difference is that the atmo sensor is now placed 2 tiles to the left, but that should be ok from how I understand this build works.

NewTonyAutomation.PNG

While Saturnus's design focus on water extracttion, Tony's design runs through dormancy time, providing constant power output, depend on geyser output but it should be at least 800-1000W of power 24/7, include 30 or 40 dormant cycle.

Tony design looks hacky, because there is no way (at least I can't see it) how steam from geyser reach chamber below steam turbines. It is some kind of electrolyzer hack, when you drop oil and petroleum on it, and oxygen appears only above, hydrogen only below.

10 hours ago, MinhPham said:

While Saturnus's design focus on water extracttion, Tony's design runs through dormancy time, providing constant power output, depend on geyser output but it should be at least 800-1000W of power 24/7, include 30 or 40 dormant cycle.

Yes, that's a good point.

On 3/7/2021 at 5:58 AM, degr said:

Tony design looks hacky, because there is no way (at least I can't see it) how steam from geyser reach chamber below steam turbines. It is some kind of electrolyzer hack, when you drop oil and petroleum on it, and oxygen appears only above, hydrogen only below.

Yeah, he explains in his video that it's called a "bypass pump". He said he had a whole other video just on that. I finish his build, and it works, but doesn't last through the dormant time, which is a bummer because Slow and Steady is why I chose that design.

On 3/8/2021 at 4:58 PM, SkunkMaster said:

Kind of reminds me of my own design, mine is just packaged a bit nicer i guess. - And has less automation xD

Works with both cold and hot steam vents.
20210309015822_1.thumb.jpg.fbe2b70491cd72fc8b591fda05856ca7.jpg

Nice, but man that's a boat-load of steel.

If you only care about the water and not the power, all you have to do is stick a couple of actively-cooled steam turbines on top of it and extract the water as the turbine output.  That's it.  Especially easy if you already have a cooling loop nearby (for your base/industrial brick/metal volcano tamer/etc) that you can tap into to cool the turbines, otherwise just build a typical turbine/aquatuner cooling setup next to it for cooling them.

Archived