Translations

Hi, my name is Hao. I'm a player and a big fan of Don't Starve Together. I wonder why KLEI does not invest in a translation for DST to Portuguese (PT-BR). I know there are mods for this, but if this function were native within the game would be much better, the market in Brazil is not so encouraging for this ? And what's left for that to be native in the game? I wish I could help with this, and invite the Brazilian community to contribute to this idea.

Translating text can be a hard job to do since all of the nuance existing in languages.  Some things can't be directly ported over since the society's context is lost like jokes or phrases common said in one area but not another.

Having it for a game is even more so context sensitive as some details are very important while others are there for fluff.

I think I'd rather have a modder do their best and let the community amend to it than a potentially third party translation studio as the modder (should be) already invested in the game itself to know what is or isn't mandatory information.

But yeah I can see where you're coming from.  It might be feasible for Klei to get some official translations done, but that's a large time and capital sink.  Perhaps with Tencent's stake it might be more feasible now to do it.

Well it seems there are translations in the game. I have no ideas if these are used on any circumstances, so maybe it's exclusive for consoles, can anybody confirm that ? I've looked at some for languages I understand like French and Spanish, translations are fine, nearly completed, some stuff from RoT is missing but I think it could be cool to actually integrate them in the game at some point if Klei completes all that.
(Again, idk what are those for, I haven't done much researches)

1.png.35fb3ffed07cb871e9b95f8dbde895a1.png

4 hours ago, CarlZalph said:

Traduzir texto pode ser uma tarefa difícil, visto que todas as nuances existentes nos idiomas. Algumas coisas não podem ser transferidas diretamente, uma vez que o contexto da sociedade se perde, como piadas ou frases comumente ditas em uma área, mas não em outra.

Tê-lo para um jogo é ainda mais sensível ao contexto, pois alguns detalhes são muito importantes, enquanto outros estão lá para serem perfurantes.

Eu acho que prefiro que um modder dê o seu melhor e deixe a comunidade alterá-lo do que um estúdio de tradução potencialmente terceirizado, já que o modder (deveria estar) já investiu no jogo em si para saber o que é ou não informação obrigatória.

Mas sim, eu posso ver de onde você está vindo. Pode ser viável para Klei fazer algumas traduções oficiais, mas isso é um grande desperdício de tempo e capital. Talvez com a aposta da Tencent seja mais viável agora fazer isso.

I wonder how difficult it would be, knowing that there are these nuances in languages. And of course, translating just by translating would not work, it would not be cool because every society has its culture and its peculiarities. And you don't necessarily need to hire a studio to do that why not develop this together with the native players of the given language, outsourcing this work in the hands of a company that does it on demand is a bad idea, but if it happens from KLEI itself in conjunction with the community I believe it would be something sensational. I do not think it is a waste of time and capital, I believe that the Brazilian market is bigger or higher than the North American market, see the creators of each region the engagement that has and compare, it would not be a waste but an investment, I know many people who stop buying the DST because it has no translation , and only start buying when you discover that there are mods that accomplish this, but the mods are very outdated and often done in a grotesque way because it is only one or two people who do, and that often translate directly by throwing the lines into a google translator of life. Of course, now with the acquisition of TENCENT this may be something more likely, even because if the game is translated attracts many more people to buy the game and spend money on things within the game, and even better will be if it has any talking relationship with what we are used to in our daily life. The biggest job is to start and translate everything you already have, keep it quieter because it's less things you'll have, it's something diluted in time

1 hour ago, thegreatJash said:

Simhhh ... Tenho certeza que a maioria das citações de rima de Wortox não soaria bem em qualquer outra língua, infelizmente, em termos de rima.

Why not use rhymes and jokes that are used in Brazil, but only adapting to the character's profile? Rhymes and jokes from another country do not make sense to Brazilians, in the same way that rhymes and jokes of ours would not make much sense to you from another country do not agree ?

Unlike other games, DST has a lot of text attached to every bit of content, and every character has their own kit of texts, plus the UI, menu, compendium, and such.

I think it is not translated to that language yet because of the Market not being focused there, and the benefit wouldn't cover the cost, especially the time cost. Another reason is, DST receives regular updates, character refreshes and items added, with those comes tons of new text, that means the translation would never end!

If they find the right time and person to translate, which probably would be when they are mostly done with majorly updating the game, it may be done.

5 hours ago, Chesmu said:

Unlike other games, DST has a lot of text attached to every bit of content, and every character has their own kit of texts, plus the UI, menu, compendium, and such.

I think it is not translated to that language yet because of the Market not being focused there, and the benefit wouldn't cover the cost, especially the time cost. Another reason is, DST receives regular updates, character refreshes and items added, with those comes tons of new text, that means the translation would never end!

If they find the right time and person to translate, which probably would be when they are mostly done with majorly updating the game, it may be done.

This is all logical. You're saying the right thing. (I say this because I translated all of Wagstaff's quotes into Russian, and partially translated quotes of the other characters.)
But still, why not hire a couple more people who would just translate this ton of text? They would just translate it, and the developers themselves could implement it in the game.

Archived