[Suggestion] Change Smart Bin automation to use thresholds like reservoirs

It just occurred to me these would probably work a lot better with an output based on threshold parameters.   I've never used these before, primarily b/c they would require extra automation just to do what you'd typically want them to do.   Example, When supply of X gets low, enable building that produces X.   Right now smart bin outputs green on full, so right off the bat you need a not gate to convert that to send the signal when not full.   But then you also run into the problem of inefficient small batch errands.   Say you want to keep, 20t of gold available at all times.   You could make a smart bin to hold that gold, and automate it to run a metal refinery when needed.   The problem is, you could build 1 section of automation wire and the bin will no longer be full, and trigger production at the refinery.   There are ways around this, but it requires a second bin or further automation.    With threshold parameters though you could just easily set it to trigger production when the supply gets sufficiently low enough.

This would also bring it completely in line with the automation on Gas and Liquid storage.

On 2/22/2021 at 5:17 PM, Sasza22 said:

I still wonder why that isn`t added yet.

I believe it has to do with complications when adding such logic to containers that can take more than one type of material at the same time. I would say that adding a hybrid mode would be better. For example:

• Choosing one kind of item to store activates the threshold functionality option.
  • Choosing more leaves it at default behavior. Green is sent only when full.

I'd already suggested something in the spirit of this thread.  It's already archived but here's my shameless necro to remind that this is something that we could enjoy in the game:

Smarter storage bins and smarter fridges FTW!

If fridges were smart they would eat everything themselfs...but I guess @pether has different expectations on what a smart fridge is. Imagine a virus which could spread in the colony and make machine buildings alive - In some colonies the fridges would run away!

@cpy Tacu de rik di ma, de fridga rah rah. Culla de to di fix de smart machinero, rak rekatak. Machu Pichu meh! Raaaah!

Archived