Lag in long term worlds

I have a question for others who play world for thousands of days, do you have any tips for dealing with lag?

No matter how clean my grounds are after I expand enough the game starts lagging hard, to the point that it's only playable solo, and that's a shame.

I tried paying attention to what specific items/structures/mobs cause the most lag and try to avoid them, I keep all my farms relatively small in size for lags sake. Bulbous lightbugs for example are big no-no, came with a massive lag spike and I had to get rid of them right away from the main area.

I would assume it's animations that cause most of the lag, or just a very high amount if items laying on the ground. But with those 2 things very limited, it seems like just structures itself cause it too.

We're having the same problems. Are you playing online split screen? 

I found the lag significantly improves if any player goes into the cave. It seems the game just isn't optimized to be on ps4 especially on long plays with large builds.

14 hours ago, Tigerkix said:

We're having the same problems. Are you playing online split screen? 

I found the lag significantly improves if any player goes into the cave. It seems the game just isn't optimized to be on ps4 especially on long plays with large builds.

Nope I am playing solo or with friends online. Solo it's fine, but with one other player the main surface build is almost unplayable. The caves yes, things get much better if 1 or more of us are down.

I have a world near 2000 days with an oasis megabase, but I am playing almost everytime solo. Sometimes my brother joins my world and we never experienced an unplayable lag. But I kept @NSAiswatchingus tips in mind and spread my builds. Maybe it could help you too?

I think he mentioned somewhere that an empty biome (no trees, turf, ...) could reduce the lag - I can't find the thread.

It may be worth taking a look on Twitch. There are a lot of mega bases with vast days on there. I know a lot of the streamers are happy to chat with people and share advice. I have seen some worlds running 5000 + days. Usually with additional players or guests, even split screen. They must have some secrets to share

3 minutes ago, LadyD said:

It may be worth taking a look on Twitch. There are a lot of mega bases with vast days on there. I know a lot of the streamers are happy to chat with people and share advice. I have seen some worlds running 5000 + days. Usually with additional players or guests, even split screen. They must have some secrets to share

most of those you are talking about are played on dedicated servers on pc, at least from what I have seen on Twitch. 

5 hours ago, LadyD said:

True, but most are on PC. The lag issue seems to be more severe on PS4 and even worse on Xbox. 

5 hours ago, Frontente said:

But I kept @NSAiswatchingus tips in mind and spread my builds. Maybe it could help you too?

I think he mentioned somewhere that an empty biome (no trees, turf, ...) could reduce the lag - I can't find the thread.

Yupp! Totally unfounded claims with no data to back it up though. Just anecdotal evidence from years of megabasing. The general idea is that if you know you're going to build a potential lag inducing amount of stuff in one area, then keep the surrounding areas as clear as possible to help with the load/unload of everything as you enter and exit that area. 

8 hours ago, BeeClops said:

Nope I am playing solo or with friends online. Solo it's fine, but with one other player the main surface build is almost unplayable. The caves yes, things get much better if 1 or more of us are down.

At 6800 days I've still got next to no lag solo. At 4 players max, if everyone has a solid connection, and is in the US it's still playable for me. If even 1 person has a bad connection or is too far away then it's an absolute mess. 

Things are much much better if some people are down in the caves. At 4 players there's still no lag down there. 

I've done several 1000+ days, always in splitscreen, every time we do a beehive or a setup with bunnymen the lag gets worse.
 we limit ourselves to a limit of 2 beehives near the base and I do nothing with the bunnymen at surface. For me entities do way more lag than stuff on ground. 
otherwise I confirm for the lag compensation off, it's weird at the start but so much better in the long term, I can’t play turn on anymore.

and .......sorry for my English ;) 

edit: I just remember that, i have trees settings on less and petrified/ regrow on slow

I just wanted to update this thread because since the new game settings update I have been able to improve the lag situation greatly in my 5k day world.

Turning off regrowth is probably the biggest thing, and chopping/mining everything in my developed areas, but also turning off bats, birds, pengulls, and if I want it really smooth bunnymen and bees too. 

I was able to make my world playable in multiplayer after a very long time.

On 3/26/2021 at 1:11 AM, BeeClops said:

I just wanted to update this thread because since the new game settings update I have been able to improve the lag situation greatly in my 5k day world.

Turning off regrowth is probably the biggest thing, and chopping/mining everything in my developed areas, but also turning off bats, birds, pengulls, and if I want it really smooth bunnymen and bees too. 

I was able to make my world playable in multiplayer after a very long time.

Do you know if pengulls enable Ice ?

From my experience in 1k - 5k day servers, the things that cause lag are:

1 - Lots of items on ground (e.g. logs on ground chopped by Bearger or Fuelweaver, 1k+ stone fruit on ground)

2 - Lots of mobs moving around (e.g. grass gekko farms, frog rain, 100+ krampii spawning)

3 - Number of players on server (number of client-server connections)

4 - Performance of host server

That being said, going into caves will give you no lag. So for a completely lag-free experience, go into caves.

42 minutes ago, Mx-Pain said:

Thanks.

Also, does regrowth off means nothing will regrowth at all ?

You will still get Saplings, Grass Tuft, and Juicy / Berry Bushes. These you can't turn them off.

50 minutes ago, Aeglefire said:

From my experience in 1k - 5k day servers, the things that cause lag are:

1 - Lots of items on ground (e.g. logs on ground chopped by Bearger or Fuelweaver, 1k+ stone fruit on ground)

2 - Lots of mobs moving around (e.g. grass gekko farms, frog rain, 100+ krampii spawning)

3 - Number of players on server (number of client-server connections)

4 - Performance of host server

That being said, going into caves will give you no lag. So for a completely lag-free experience, go into caves.

Thanks for that info

47 minutes ago, Mj- said:

You will still get Saplings, Grass Tuft, and Juicy / Berry Bushes. These you can't turn them off.

Great ! I did turn off regrowth and have no carrots at all.

But everything else growth

Archived