Space is very short. World-gen issue or Working as Intended?

With the power of Petroleum rockets, I was finally able to reach the magma asteroid and drop the first Rover to build a Platform (yes, I'm aware I need to send a 2nd rover to get enough materials).

When I got there, I was surprised to see that the solid footholds are only 17 tiles from the unbuildable region, so by the time I build a Platform, the tallest rocket I could land would be 15 tiles high.

Are other people seeing similar heights?  The one thing I would expect to find in space is, well, space.  

Hello, 

You can build rockets outside of the space biome, but you will have gases spreading around.
Perhaps the smaller space is due to smaller maps, but it will be sorted out I guess, it is talked about in patch notes.

Hope it helps :)

Yeah, I get that; I've got a deeper silo on my 'home' asteroid.  However, doing that on the niobium asteroid it a little more challenging when I can't land the rocket I built to get there. :)

I can't mine a silo until I land dupes, and my Petroleum rocket is way too tall to land there.  

Not being able to land the longer-range rocket means I need to go back to the 'mulitple one-way rockets' shenanigans after I drop a 2nd rover.

originally they had the outer 3 asteroids farther out.  so much that we couldn't reach them with only the co2/sucrose engines so they changed worldgen around christmas time to make it so we could reach them.  now that we got the larger rocketry, i assume we will likely soon the outer 3 asteroids to go back to generating farther away from the main asteroid again

On 2/8/2021 at 5:29 PM, Pyrex042 said:

When I got there, I was surprised to see that the solid footholds are only 17 tiles from the unbuildable region, so by the time I build a Platform, the tallest rocket I could land would be 15 tiles high.

World Generation Settings + being able to play on big maps ( like in the base game ) is my most wanted implementation from the base game in to the DLC...It will get me back playing the game.

The DLC needs a BASE GAME DLC.

On 2/8/2021 at 10:48 PM, Pyrex042 said:

Not being able to land the longer-range rocket means I need to go back to the 'mulitple one-way rockets' shenanigans after I drop a 2nd rover.

I agree with the suggestion to lengthen the space biome, but you can still drop off a solo operative, right?

On 2/8/2021 at 9:29 AM, Pyrex042 said:

With the power of Petroleum rockets, I was finally able to reach the magma asteroid and drop the first Rover to build a Platform (yes, I'm aware I need to send a 2nd rover to get enough materials).

Are other people seeing similar heights?  The one thing I would expect to find in space is, well, space.  

I found the same to be true when I got to the magma planet yesterday. Had a rocket with 3 rover modules ready to deploy to set up a forward base, only to discover that everything is obsidian so Rovers can't dig, and the magma was only 20 tiles from the edge of space. 

Question @Pyrex042, how did you plan on building a rocket platform with rovers?  It seems that you wouldn't have the necessary refined metal.

@ChrisPBacon000 I've been having bugs with the Orbital Cargo pods not working correctly, so I needed a different way to get 800kg of refined metal down to the surface before dropping a Trailblazer.  The rovers have exactly one job:  deconstruct their own lander for 400kg of refined metal each.  After the 2nd rover deconstructs his lander, 800kg of Steel are sitting on the surface awaiting a dupe to build the Platform.

56 minutes ago, Pyrex042 said:

@ChrisPBacon000 I've been having bugs with the Orbital Cargo pods not working correctly, so I needed a different way to get 800kg of refined metal down to the surface before dropping a Trailblazer.  The rovers have exactly one job:  deconstruct their own lander for 400kg of refined metal each.  After the 2nd rover deconstructs his lander, 800kg of Steel are sitting on the surface awaiting a dupe to build the Platform.

Oh so you use steel to build the rover modules?  I just figured I'd fly out with two trial blazers and a living quarters module, drop the two trail Blazers and deconstruct them to bud the pad. But the short space height limits me from doing that and still being able to land the rocket. 

Yeah, as long as you use the same refined metal for both rovers (doesn't need to be Steel, but I used Steel because I have plenty) you'll have enough metal to build the platform. 

Keep in mind you can't do this with two Trailblazers anymore.  Trailblazers only deconstruct into 200kg of refined metal, but the Rocket Platform now requires 800kg, which is why I sent two rovers ahead of the Trailblazer+Hab rockets.  I haven't gone back to do it just yet though as I need to build a short enough hab-module rocket first...

39 minutes ago, Pyrex042 said:

Yeah, as long as you use the same refined metal for both rovers (doesn't need to be Steel, but I used Steel because I have plenty) you'll have enough metal to build the platform. 

You can only use steel (other refined metals for rovers are niobium and thermium...) :P

@Pyrex042 I'm pretty sure it was metal ore and not refined metal. I specifically used 2 trailblazers in order to land and build a platform in magma planet a while back. I haven't checked what you mentioned about the 200kg per trailblazer in the latest update though....  

Spoiler

Last save file of this base 14 January.

rover.thumb.JPG.801a250c78e1a118490a4186940352a0.JPG

@sakura_sk Ah, yeah, that makes sense.  Like most buildings that can be built out of metal ore, they can also use Steel...

IIRC, Trailblazers have always deconstructed into 200kg of material.  The change is that the Platform used to only cost 400kg of refined metal, but when Petroleum engines were added the cost for the Platform went up to 800kg.

10 minutes ago, Pyrex042 said:

The change is that the Platform used to only cost 400kg of refined metal, but when Petroleum engines were added the cost for the Platform went up to 800kg.

I don't think it's like that.. but I have to check my previous save files.

Trailblazer though (still) needs 600kg refined metal. 200kg for trailblazer module and 400kg for trailblazer lander. Trailblazer lander (still) deconstructs, giving 400kg of refined metal back. So... I don't think anything changed since they introduced them in game after launch of DLC. I don't remember if it was different before that.

It may be that that change is on the test branch still, I thought it came over on the update with Petroleum rockets.  (I'm not on the test branch, but a youtuber on the test branch was commenting about being being blindsided by that change)

Well @Pyrex042... that is a bug :lol: (if that is the episode/timestamp)

It seems like the second deconstructed trailblazer gave copper ore instead of copper( I have nooooo idea why...) There are still several glitches when deconstructing stuff while constantly pausing/unpausing (sandbox/debug instant build/deconstruct can give some black holes too..), I don't know if that was the cause though... Normally it should be the 800kg he was expecting to have after deconstructing two trailblazers.

On 2/11/2021 at 7:36 PM, hegemontree said:

“Space is short. You just won't believe how tinyly, minusculely, mind-bogglingly short it is. I mean, you may think it's a short way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”

Um, lol. Good one

Archived