Divergents: The Solved Mystery

Hello friends,

since much about Divergents is still unclear, I've put together a summary of my long term observations here. Hopefully it will help to understand the plant-tending critters better. Let's go.

Introduction

The (most) interesting thing about Sweetles and Grubgrubs is of course the growth boost they can give to your plants. In return for marginal amounts of sulfur, the fertilization and the desired amount of your plants can be persistent reduced by a third. Basically the new critter specimen enables an improved calculation base to feed your dupes and grow plants in general. Let's take a closer look at both candidates:

Properties

Grubgrub.jpg

Sweetle.jpg

Each time Sweetles and Grubgrubs tend Spindly Grubfruit and Grubfruit plants, they will increase the Grubgrub egg chance by roughly 1-3% (up to over 99%). Tending other plants will not increase the Grubgrub egg chance. You have to ensure there are always some Divergents tending Grubfruits, otherwise there will be sooner or later no Grubgrub offspring anymore.

NOTES:

• Sweetles and Grubgrubs can reach 2 tiles high and cross 1 tile gaps, while Sweetle larvas and Grubgrub wormlings can't even reach and cross 1 tile.
  • 25% metabolism of wild Divergents doesn't mean 25% consumption per cycle, rather 100% consumption every 4 cycles. This fact applies to all critters.

Tending Behavior

Sweetles and Grubgrubs behave the same, when it comes to plant-tending. Therefore they are reffered as Divergents in the following.

Divergents will tend domestic plants in farm tiles, hydroponic farms and planter boxes (as well wild growing plants), as long they could reach them at eye level:

DivergentTending.jpg

In addition to being an adult, the only requirement to tend frequently plants is food. A critter feeder is not necessary. Furthermore, it doesn't matter if the Divergent is wild or tamed, and apart from drowning, negative traits (e.g. overcrowded, glum) have also no effect.

As long as the Divergent is not hungry, it will tend the closest untended plant every ~76 seconds. Since he is regularly moving around to the nearest untended plant, as well eats/excretes, one Divergent take care of an average of 7 plants per cycle. This number is very precise and rarely deviates for a few seconds +/- 1 tended plant.

NOTES:

• Once adult, all Divergents begin immediately tending.
  • Sweetle larva / Grubgrub wormling will not tend plants.
  • It is more efficient to keep wild Divergents for plant care, as they eat less and at the same time give the full growth boost. Furthermore no duplicant labor is necessary for grooming.
  • Hungry Divergents will care for plants too. On average 2-3 plants are tended each cycle. However, the interval between tending can vary a lot (up to 600 seconds and more).
  • Since Sweetle tending / Grubgrub rub can't be "overwritten", it is not recommended keeping Sweetles and Grubgrubs together. As long Sweetle tending is active, the plant cannot recive the much better Grubgrub rub.

Which Plants Can Be Tended And Which Not?

Divergents don't care for all plants. As long as it is a (re)growing plant, it will be tended. Otherwise not. See yorself:

TendingYES.jpg

TendingNO.jpg

NOTES:

• Harvest-ready plants will not be tended.
  • Growth-halted plants will be tended.
  • When a plant is harvested, the remaining duration of Sweetle tending / Grubgrub rub is transferred to the new plant.
  • Sweetle tending and Grubgrub rub will stack with farmers touch.
  • Arbor tree: while the trunk growth benefits from tending quite normally, the situation is somewhat different with branch growth. Each branch is treated separately, while nothing changes in the ~76 seconds tending-delay. That means: to determine the number of Divergents required, you do not calculate the number of Arbor trees, but the number of branches. Furthermore you have to ensure the Divergent can reach each branch. Many thanks @zach123bfor this great hint!

Something Special: Spindly Grubfruit & Grubfruit Plants

• As long as an untended Spindly Grubfruit is available, it has the highest priority. No other plant will be treated beforehand.
  • Once a Spindly Grubfruit is tended, it will become a Grubfruit plant, with 50% growth progress of the former Spindly Grubfruit.
  • Once a Grubfruit plant is harvested (or drops the harvest 4 cycles after ripening), they will start again as Spindly Grubfruit and must be tended to become a Grubfruit plant again.
  • Even if it looks like that, Divergents do not eat Spindly Grubfruits while tending them.

Ranching Divergents...

(for meat) is basically pointless. A brief analysis of the numbers -compared to farming Grubfruits with Grubgrubs- will show this very clearly:

SweetleRanching.jpg

GrubgrubRanching.jpg

StoneHatchRanching.jpg

The examples of both Divergents refer to mono ranches. It is quite possible to increase the meat output, if you run a grubfruit-tending Sweetle ranch which provides you with Grubgrub eggs. How exactly this works can be inquired @TheMule. It was very important to our friend, that the maximum meat output of a Sweetle ranch is not underestimated. Anyway, ranching Divergents -no matter how- won't get you as much food as a Grubfruit farm, tended by Grubgrubs.

Farming With Divergents (Grubfruit Plants)

The most efficient way of farming with Divergents, is the symbiosis of Grubgrubs and Grubfruits (as the relationship of the names suggest). Processing Grubfruits into Grubfruit preserve, will feed your dupes with the same food quality (Good [+3] / Morale +8) like barbeque.

Instead of a ranch, we use the 96 tiles space to operate 25 farm tiles with Grubfruit plants. Like we already know, one fed, wild Divergent will take care of 7 plants per cycle. So we plant the Grubfruit seeds, put 4 Sweetles into the room and make sure they have (always) sulfur to eat. While tending the plants, the Sweetles will increase the Grubgrub egg chance continuously. Therefore they will replace themselve sooner or later with Grubgrub offspirng. Once this is done, the Grubgrubs in turn reproduce themselve forever, while boosting constantly your Grubfruits growth by 50%.

GrubfruitFarm.jpg

In addition to Grubfruits, sucrose is also required to produce Grubfruit preserve. Since the need of sucrose is comparatively low, supply works quite well with wild, fed Sweetles. One wild Sweetle will provide an avg. of 5 kg sucrose per cycle, while 4 kg sucrose are required to produce 2400 kcal of Grubfruit preserve (e.g. 3 wild Sweetles produce enough sucrose to supply Grubfruit preserve production for 9 dupes).

Of course yo can tame your Sweetle(s) as well, to improve the sucrose output drastically. One tame Sweetle provide 20 kg sucrose per cycle, which is enough to satisfy Grubfruit preserve production for 12 dupes.

NOTE: It's not allowed to let your Sweetles tend Grubfruit plants, if you ranch them for sucrose.

Farming With Divergents (Non-Grubfruit Plants)

• Via Sweetles: Just simply throw the required amount of Sweetles into your farm, supply them with sulfur and benefit from the 5% growth bonus.
  • Via Grubgrubs: In this case the offspring must be ensured with a external Grubfruit plant farm, and delivered via critter drop-off.

Thanks for your attention!

Kind regards

Nice!

Only thing I wanted to point out.. When you write "when in incubator" you mean "lullabied" right? Because I don't think incubator alone has any effect.

(also I don't know how math work in game... :D)

Spoiler

13+3=17... right...

1760983965_sweetlelullabied.png.dcb5934fa2a707fa2d25a4b102f321ce.png

*probably some rounding going on but visible sum is confusing

4 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

Nice!

Only thing I wanted to point out.. When you write "when in incubator" you mean "lullabied" right? Because I don't think incubator alone has any effect.

(also I don't know how math work in game... :D)

Reveal hidden contents

13+3=17... right...

1760983965_sweetlelullabied.png.dcb5934fa2a707fa2d25a4b102f321ce.png

*probably some rounding going on but visible sum is confusing

Of course, yes. I meant lullabied. Will edit this soon. Thanks for the hint!

@MooChiChi:

It may be useful to add that the plant tending behavior is similar to grooming (it tames critters over time) is the trigger for morphing over time:

Spindly grubfruit morphs into grubfruit eventually by tending.

Sweetles that perform tending eventually spawn Grubgrubs.

If one requires sucrose and wants to farm sweetles then it's no tending allowed for those ones in the sweetle ranch.

I got a little strange things 

Just move all grubgrub egg out of eating sucrose to my base and after a wormlings came out

My dupe has been bited and fleeing each time he cross the grubgrub's room

Just like Pokeshell hate dupe when a pinch roe drop?

@JRup

On 2/1/2021 at 9:27 PM, JRup said:

It may be useful to add that the plant tending behavior is similar to grooming (it tames critters over time)...

If I understand you correctly, you mean the critter become tame by tending? I cannot confirm that. The grubgrubs in my grubfruit farm are currently over 75 years old and still 100% wild. Why do you think that?

...is the trigger for morphing over time:

A spindly grubfruit morphs immediatley into a grubfruit plant after once tended.

f one requires sucrose and wants to farm sweetles then it's no tending allowed for those ones in the sweetle ranch.

It's already metioned in the topic that tending spindly grubfruits and grubfruit plants will increase the grubgrub egg chance. Of course, if you farm sweetles for sucrose keep them away from these plants (other plants are allowed, since they will not increase the grubgrub egg chance).

In fact, you can produce enough sucrose feeding 3 wild sweetles, to supply 9 dupes via grubfruit preserve.

@Hayate108

On 2/1/2021 at 9:40 PM, Hayate108 said:

I got a little strange things 

Just move all grubgrub egg out of eating sucrose to my base and after a wormlings came out

My dupe has been bited and fleeing each time he cross the grubgrub's room

Just like Pokeshell hate dupe when a pinch roe drop?

Odd. I've never noticed that grubgrubs behaved like pokeshells. But if you attack them, they will fight back.

5 minutes ago, MooChiChi said:

If I understand you correctly, you mean the critter become tame by tending?

Definitely a misunderstanding. AFAIK: Grooming is the only trigger for taming. But taming does not happen instantly. Takes a bit of dupe effort... I guess that comparison did go a bit over the top. :D oops.

7 minutes ago, MooChiChi said:

A spindly grubfruit morphs immediatley into a grubfruit plant after once tended.

I haven't played the DLC for a while as in I still have a map without sulfur geysers.

With that in mind, I kept the spindly plants wild and they did take several cycles to morph with wild sweetles tending that did morph slowly as well.

On 2/1/2021 at 10:15 PM, JRup said:

Definitely a misunderstanding. AFAIK: Grooming is the only trigger for taming. But taming does not happen instantly. Takes a bit of dupe effort... I guess that comparison did go a bit over the top. :D oops.

I'm still not sure if I understand you correctly :?

On 2/1/2021 at 10:15 PM, JRup said:

I haven't played the DLC for a while as in I still have a map without sulfur geysers.

With that in mind, I kept the spindly plants wild and they did take several cycles to morph with wild sweetles tending that did morph slowly as well.

Maybe it was different in the past, but according to the current state, spindly grubfruits will morph immediatly into grubfruit plants as soon as they have been tended once. No matter if sweetle or grubggrub, wild or tamed.

But: if a grubfruit plant ist harvested (or just lost the fruits after a several amount of time - EDIT: 4 cycles), it will start again as spindly grubfruit.

2 minutes ago, MooChiChi said:

I'm still not sure if I understand you correctly

Happens to me as well... More often than one would expect. I blame myself for a lack of coffee. Let us all disregard that comparison I recklessly made and toss it into the bin. (Please)

3 minutes ago, MooChiChi said:

But: if a grubfruit plant ist harvested (or just lost the fruits after a several amount of time), it will start again as spindly grubfruit

Definitely good to know.

19 minutes ago, JRup said:
23 minutes ago, MooChiChi said:

But: if a grubfruit plant ist harvested (or just lost the fruits after a several amount of time), it will start again as spindly grubfruit

Definitely good to know.

I will edit this. Thanks for the hint!

1 hour ago, JRup said:

It may be useful to add that the plant tending behavior is similar to grooming (it tames critters over time) is the trigger for morphing over time:

@MooChiChi except for the very last part "Each time sweetles and grubgrubs tending spindly grubfruit and grubfruit plants, they will increase the grubgrub egg chance by roughly 1-3%." you didn't make very obvious (for beginners at least..) the connection between Sweetle and Grubgrub.

I think what @JRup is trying to say (I hope I'm not making more misunderstandings... :?)  is making that connection more obvious and treating it like "taming" (evolving maybe...?) from one to the other: Sweetle to Grubgrub, spindly grubfruit to grubfruit.

1 minute ago, sakura_sk said:

I think what @JRup is trying to say (I hope I'm not making more misunderstandings... :?)

You got it right. I commend your choice of coffee today. My comparison was based on the fact that it needs (needed?) work to take / show results.

45 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

@MooChiChi except from the very last part "Each time sweetles and grubgrubs tending spindly grubfruit and grubfruit plants, they will increase the grubgrub egg chance by roughly 1-3%." you didn't make very obvious (for beginners at least..) the connection between Sweetle and Grubgrub.

Once again: thanks for the hint! I'll edit that too. Sometimes you just overlook the obvious.

45 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

I think what @JRup is trying to say (I hope I'm not making more misunderstandings... :?)  is making that connection more obvious and treating it like "taming" (evolving maybe...?) from one to the other: Sweetle to Grubgrub, spindly grubfruit to grubfruit.

42 minutes ago, JRup said:

You got it right. I commend your choice of coffee today. My comparison was based on the fact that it needs (needed?) work to take / show results.

Now I understand. Yes, if you would like to have grubgrubs, it will take time for the sweetles to increase the chance and eventually lay grubgrub eggs. Furthermore, you have to ensure there are always some divergents tending grubfruits, otherwise there will be no grubgrub offspring. Apart from that, the growth boost of divergents is immediate: feed them and they tend your plants immediately with 100% effectiveness.

29 minutes ago, JRup said:

I commend your choice of coffee today.

"Later in the day" is helping (meaning different part of the world) but... double espresso twice a day ;-) (works miracles for me :D)

In my colonies I like leaving critters roam free (well.. in specified "natural" rooms). I build a sweetle-staircase to let them tend and evolve while I build my base/explore more. 

Spoiler

1194361028_sweetlecase.thumb.jpg.d22d35b618351a194e0b86e45a6f168b.jpg

1 minute ago, sakura_sk said:

"Later in the day" is helping (meaning different part of the world) but... double espresso twice a day ;-) (works miracles for me :D)

In my colonies I like leaving critters roam free (well.. in specified "natural" rooms). I build a sweetle-staircase to let them tend and evolve while I build my base/explore more. 

Reveal hidden contents

1194361028_sweetlecase.thumb.jpg.d22d35b618351a194e0b86e45a6f168b.jpg

Nice, I like it. Dont forget to feed them :-D

Great post!

One thing tho, I don't think the numbers for ranching sweetles are correct. I mean they are of course assuming all eggs are swettles egg, but I'd never do that. I give them plants to tend so that most the eggs they produce are grub grub eggs. You get grub grub eggs  (1.5 x the meat) at the rate of sweetles eggs (4.5c). I haven't computed how many plants you need to maximize grub grub eggs production.

11 hours ago, TheMule said:

Great post!

One thing tho, I don't think the numbers for ranching sweetles are correct. I mean they are of course assuming all eggs are swettles egg, but I'd never do that. I give them plants to tend so that most the eggs they produce are grub grub eggs. You get grub grub eggs  (1.5 x the meat) at the rate of sweetles eggs (4.5c). I haven't computed how many plants you need to maximize grub grub eggs production.

I've triple-checked the numbers and are sure those are correct. That's how I calculated:

• 2% base lay egg + 20% happy -> 100/22 = 4,54 (cyles to lay an egg)
  • 75 cycles sweetle lifetime -5 cycles baby -> 70/4,54 = 15,41 (eggs)
  • 15 eggs equal 15x1600 kcal -> 24000 kcal / 75 cycles = 320 kcal per cycle

Of course it is more economical to ranch grubgrubs (for meat) than sweetles - that doesn't makes the sweetle ranch numbers wrong. Grubgrub farming for grubfruits is the most effectively way to get food via divergents. The boards I've created serve for comparison of the numbers and should clarify the differences.

The sweetle ranch which is allowed to tend grubfruits are already mentioned: as grubgrub ranch. Since all sweetles will lay sooner or later only grubgrub eggs, you will end up with an grubgrub ranch. Considering all the intermediate stages of this transformation would be too much.

Basically one fed divergent can tend 7 grubfruit plants each cycle (this will increase the grubgrub egg chance to 99% ASAP). If the divergent take care of less than 7 grubfruit plants per cycle, the grubgrub egg chance will increase more slowly.

idk what you did but grubgrubs make arbor trees op.  from 4.5cycles to 3 cycle growth on the branches makes them give about 50% more lumber, 333kg/cycle to 500kg/cycle.  in the pic, i use pneumatic doors so the automatic sweepers can get under while the grubgrubs can tend the top branches, this way all 5 branches get tended to.  the dupes using fertilizer on trees didn't help production cause they targeted the main trunk instead of the branches

image.png.90a3d4b12b6a611407a7e28e01095c67.png

6 hours ago, zach123b said:

idk what you did but grubgrubs make arbor trees op.  from 4.5cycles to 3 cycle growth on the branches makes them give about 50% more lumber, 333kg/cycle to 500kg/cycle.  in the pic, i use pneumatic doors so the automatic sweepers can get under while the grubgrubs can tend the top branches, this way all 5 branches get tended to.  the dupes using fertilizer on trees didn't help production cause they targeted the main trunk instead of the branches

image.png.90a3d4b12b6a611407a7e28e01095c67.png

You're right! I will edit that.

However, one should note that each branch is treated separately. Furthermore nothing changes in the 76 seconds tending-delay. That means, more Divergents must be available to care for all branches - because all five branches are treated like five separate plants.

As you have already illustrated, you also have to ensure that every branch can be reached by your Divergent.

Thanks for the great hint!

17 hours ago, MooChiChi said:

I've triple-checked the numbers and are sure those are correct. That's how I calculated:

• 2% base lay egg + 20% happy -> 100/22 = 4,54 (cyles to lay an egg)
  • 75 cycles sweetle lifetime -5 cycles baby -> 70/4,54 = 15,41 (eggs)
  • 15 eggs equal 15x1600 kcal -> 24000 kcal / 75 cycles = 320 kcal per cycle

2.22% + 20% = 100/22.22 = 4.5

A regular critter (lifetime = 100) lays an egg every 60 cycles wild or 6 cycles tamed. Critters with different lifespan (75 and 150) have their number adjusted accordingly, so for sweedles it's 45 and 4.5 and for grub grubs 90 and 9. 

The result is 1 egg for wild critters and 15 eggs for tamed critters anyway, because you have to add 5 cycles as a baby at the start.

That's what I meant with:

20 hours ago, TheMule said:

I mean they are of course assuming all eggs are swettles egg,

To be picky, these numbers are not precise. They are based on a set of assumptions:

- that everytime a critter dies, it's replaced instantly; delays make the numbers worse;

that the replacement is an adult; that's not what usually happens.

Especially when using unpowered incubators, when a critter dies a baby replacement may not be available. When a baby is born, there may be no room in stables, and it sits in the incubator for a while... the two phenomena tend to balance out, but the first prevails slightly, so your efficency is usually down by a couple percent points. 

@wachunga posted some time ago a design for a hatch ranch that allows you to replace adults with adults. This tend to reach max efficiency: all the numbers should be adjusted replacing 100 with 95 (because that's the lifespan of an adult hatch). 70 for sweetles and 145 for grub grubs.

Yet, this is irrelevant because it's not what I meant in my previous post anyway. We're talking +-5% here, I'm talking +200%.

Of course it is more economical to ranch grubgrubs (for meat) than sweetles - that doesn't makes the sweetle ranch numbers wrong. Grubgrub farming for grubfruits is the most effectively way to get food via divergents. The boards I've created serve for comparison of the numbers and should clarify the differences.

Here's you're considering ranching grub grubs, for grub grub eggs. Same as above. Not what I meant.

The sweetle ranch which is allowed to tend grubfruits are already mentioned: as grubgrub ranch. Since all sweetles will lay sooner or later only grubgrub eggs, you will end up with an grubgrub ranch.

I'm lost here I don't know what you mean... it seems you're talking wild critters now? I'm not sure. Of course I remove all eggs from the stables ASAP, drop them in a evol chamber, I have incubators set to sweetles eggs and a critter dropper inside the ranches set for sweetles only, as usual, so no grub grub is entering the ranches, ever.

I'm ranching sweetles, and I'm making them produce (mostly) grug grub eggs. The numbers:

15x6000 kcal (BBQ) -> 90000 kcal / 75 cycles = 1200 kcal per cycle, 1.2 dups, so a ranch of 8 feeds 9.6 dups.

That's a knife... no, ehm, that's what I meant. It's irrelevant if the actual numbers are 3.2 or 3.22, 3.6 or 3.66 dups per ranch, I'd never ranch sweetles to produce sweetles eggs or grub grubs to produce grub grub eggs anyway, not when I can ranch sweetles to produce grub grub eggs, combining the reproduction rate of sweetles and the yield of grub grub eggs.

Now, I know not all eggs are going to be grub grub eggs. When initially introduced in the stables, new critters have they baseline distribution (98% swettles, 2% grub grub), and it starts shifting after a while (*). So they do produce some sweetle eggs, and the actual kcal numbers are lower than that. But also that's what keeps the ranch going, self sustaining. If all the eggs were grub grub eggs from the start, I'd have to keep a breeder sweetle ranch (w/o plants) just to produce sweetle eggs.

I don't have precise numbers on the average ratio of grub grub eggs vs sweetles eggs that such a ranch produces over 500 cycles, but I've built such stables and I've seen them in action and they work extremely well. The critter:dup ratio may be not 1:1.2, it's a bit short of 1:1, hard to measure because I was using domesticated grubfruit plants, and they (with sucrose from sweetles) produce some food of the same quality (BBQ and preserve). IIRC in the evolution chamber there was a 1:4 (sweetle:grub grub) ratio, which is still good.

(*) I suspected there weren't enough plants in the stable, and you confirmed that. When a new sweetle is introduced in the stable, it has a hard time finding a plant to tend, as it's competing with other 7 critters. They have the potential for tending 7 * 8 = 56 plants, I had about 20 (they were 4 tiles tall rooms, in retrospect I should have made them much wider). The results is that the shifting from sweetles eggs to grub grub eggs is slower.

@TheMule

Mate, this is not a doctoral thesis. I don't argue about decimals and fractions of percentages - especially not if they are irrelevant to a valid conclusion. At the end of the day you will still be able to feed the specified number of dupes, regardless of whether the calculation is ultra-precise or just precise. So what's the point?

PS: My Sweetle ranch example is... a Sweetle ranch example. A ranch on which Sweetles are bred (and no Grubgrubs). Anyway, accordingly to the numbers and IMO ranching Divergents for meat is still less efficient than a Grubfruit farm - no matter which eggs they lay.

Archived