Salt for saltlicks? More use for salt in general?

Since salt exists and you could get a bunch of it by sailing around, why not make salt licks out of the sea salt instead? It doesn't have that many uses besides just good Warly spice at current moment.

Collected dust to produce thulecite is slow and bad currently, unless we're going to get a change cause there's not enough duster dens nor the amount compensates the amount of work you need to put to get it.

Edit: Also maybe if they would cost actual salt, maybe increase from 15 days of length to 20 days? Or longer... salt licks are so damn expensive even currently xd

If you have too much salt, use it to restore food. Select it and click mouse2 on a ingredient.

Or give it to your nearest warly

Or make salt boxes

salt really isn't a material you can have "too much of". And it's certainly not something we're going to waste on basic beefalo maintenance.

Yeah I'd really like some more uses. Though i really do not wanna replace the current salt lick ingredients with salt, i'd adore an alternative version of the salt lick that co-exists with the one we have now that uses salt fragments in its recipe.

I remember brainstorming some ideas for salt and I think it could be cool if Salt could be used to melt pengull ice sheets away (which are their homes, so removing the ice sheet would remove their home/spawning area), maybe even a way to kill slurtles/snurtles with them since theyre part snail and salt is pretty bad for snails, killing them this way could make it so they have a 100% chance to drop a slurtle hat/snurtle shell since they died from salt and not physical damage that'd damage their shell. Maybe even a body armor made with some salt that makes it so the time you are frozen is cut in half? Would be niche but it'd maybe be nice for klaus, crab king, or ice hounds. We could even get some magical uses for salt, Salt is often used as like a demon/ghost deterrent in some pagan religions or the such irl so maybe it could even craft something in the magic tab scares off nightmare/shadow creatures, ghosts and other creatures of the same kind? Who knows, theres quite a lot of uses we could add for salt and I hope it gets some more love.

This has been suggested a million times. 

Do you regularly tame beefalo? 

I start taming around day 5 and finish around day 28. This would be completely impossible if i had to first gather all the planks etc needed for a boat and sail around until i find salt. 

Im sure Klei knows this and thats why salt licks’s recipe didnt get changed with the introduction of salt. Domestication is already time and resource intensive. Adding sailing on top of it would rule out early game domestication completely. 

A late game salt lick with more durability that requires salt would be nice. 

And fyi nitre is a salt 

1 hour ago, Ohan said:

Do you regularly tame beefalo? 

Domestication is already time and resource intensive.

For now.. we will see if it remains that way in about a week though ;) 

Im willing to bet money on Beefalo taming becoming significantly easier with the upcoming event.

But as far as how I tamed one personally: I went and gathered as many twiggy pine cones as I possibly could and I took those and planted trees around the Beefalo I wanted to tame: I was able to tame it off just the dropped Twigs from all the tree’s around it.

But after the epic Reap What You Sow Gardening and Hook, Line, & Inker Fishing overhauls, I’m banking money on an equally awesome taming rework.

Id like salt to be a material for a jawbreaker that can be given to a beefalo. It would last 3 days and keep them from bucking you off even if the timer runs out; for boss battles. (maybe only tamed beef?). Added bonus if it worked like a mobile salt lick, if they don't plan on allowing domesticated beefalo to stay domesticated. Its so hard to take them on long trips where you're only doing mundane things knowing the domestication meter is constantly ticking when you're not riding it.

And for the love of god, I need a way to keep it STILL. Sometimes when Im trying to feed it does this weird, side to side quick turning thing, as it walks away. Worst of all is when I try to heal it and it RUNS AWAY, like in the middle of a boss battle LOL. If not a jawbreaker, ANYTHING, to make it more behaved with the QOL stuff I mentioned above.

1 hour ago, HowlVoid said:

keep them from bucking you off even if the timer runs out; for boss battles. (maybe only tamed beef?)

Fully tamed beefalo never buck you off though. I mean, the ride time is so long (10+ Minutes iirc) and every time u remount to heal in a fight it gets reset. Ive never had a domesticated beefalo buck me off 

A mobile alternative to a salt lick sounds nice though but tbh idk if its actually needed. Any domestication it would lose from being unmounted while ur doing whatever is completely negligable as long as you dont leave it for like days on end obviously. Especially if its already domesticated.

I leave my beef outside of the swamp without salt lick while i go gather reeds for like half a day and its no big deal. Moving far away from it to cause it to unload makes it stop moving around too. That being said i would be interested in the possibility of a “mobile salt lick” item having the added functionality of a follower item like Glommers flower/chesters eye bone.

Worst of all is when I try to heal it and it RUNS AWAY, like in the middle of a boss battle LOL

Tbh i cant say ive ever experienced this. A Beefalo will pause and raise its head when you hover over them with food. They also do this when u right click on them while ur carrying heavy objects, they wait for u and dont walk away. They also stop moving while ur close to them like wild beefalo. 

Spoiler

Woby however does RUN as fast as it can away from u the moment you demount :lol::roll:

Its so hard to take them on long trips where you're only doing mundane things knowing the domestication meter is constantly ticking when you're not riding it.

Im assuming you are talking about fully domesticated beefalo here? If you are, you really dont need to worry about this at all any domestication lost will be quickly regained once you resume riding. A beefalo has to go without food, riding, salt lick etc for over 15 days for it to undomesticate. 

If you were talking about beefalo in the process of domestication, you obviously want to limit the amount of time spent not riding/feeding it. But when you want to demount to gather resources without a salt lick nearby you can just feed it a couple of berries/carrots and go about ur business. Domestication increases whenever the beefalo has above 0 hunger. So feeding it a bit whenever you demount should buy you enough time without risking losing domestication. 

2 hours ago, Ohan said:

Fully tamed beefalo never buck you off though. I mean, the ride time is so long (10+ Minutes iirc) and every time u remount to heal in a fight it gets reset. Ive never had a domesticated beefalo buck me off 

Yes, when the timer runs out. C'mon, man, let me have this small change lol. The most practical applications I can think off is:

1. When surrounding all the larvae puddles with walls and you want to chase after dragonfly to get a few hits. This may require the player to get off a few times (like 3) to reset the timer. With the glossomer saddle I dont usually get off to heal as I can kite reliably. 

2. Fighting the shadow pieces, where healing is almost impossible, you find yourself dodging extensively if you take too many careless hits. Trying to get some natural regen off while keeping the 10min timer in mind (a small annoyance, but if careless can be deadly).

3. Sometimes while fighting a boss a houndwave may appear. If you didn't pay attention and the timer is coming to a close...

Im sure I could think off more, but the point is, its more of a small QOL thing.

A mobile alternative to a salt lick sounds nice though but tbh idk if its actually needed.

If anything Id like for them to stay perfectly still. I've had salt lick combust during summer, destoyed by bosses, licked by no-eyed deer, burn due to fire hounds, etc forcing me to turn back and craft another. 

Any domestication it would lose from being unmounted while ur doing whatever is completely negligable as long as you dont leave it for like days on end obviously. Especially if its already domesticated.

My most recent beefalo finished losing all his domestication in 3 days (forgot to rebuild salt lick). I had always kept it near a salt lick except for those 3 days and had no way to have been able to tell it was close to un-taming. I wasn't actively keeping track of his domestication every time I unmounted and personally I feel I shouldn't have to. At the very least a small animation to let me know its becoming wild. By the way, 15 days is a very short time frame for what essentially took 20-30 days to do.

I leave my beef outside of the swamp without salt lick while i go gather reeds for like half a day and its no big deal. Moving far away from it to cause it to unload makes it stop moving around too.

That sounds really annoying. If I have to place it a few screens away to then have to go do something that sounds like such a unnecessary nuisance. You honestly wouldn't want to just be able to tell it to stay? Are you really fine with that workaround? Its just a small QOL...

That being said i would be interested in the possibility of a “mobile salt lick” item having the added functionality of a follower item like Glommers flower/chesters eye bone.

I just want it to stand still and someway to extend the ride timer when I need to. Nothing too extreme really.

Tbh i cant say ive ever experienced this. A Beefalo will pause and raise its head when you hover over them with food. They also do this when u right click on them while ur carrying heavy objects, they wait for u and dont walk away. They also stop moving while ur close to them like wild beefalo. 

Hide contents

Woby however does RUN as fast as it can away from u the moment you demount :lol::roll:

Im sure its a bug. It does that happy tail wagging thing, as it does when you first feed it. Then, it runs away when your character is locked in into trying to feed it. If I find a video Ill post it in the bug section.

Im assuming you are talking about fully domesticated beefalo here? If you are, you really dont need to worry about this at all any domestication lost will be quickly regained once you resume riding. A beefalo has to go without food, riding, salt lick etc for over 15 days for it to undomesticate. 

It accumulates. I have no way to tell on console. Since my beefalo became wild in 3 days of having no salt lick (after 4 years of having it) I must of failed at micromanaging it, which Id rather avoid having to do.

If you were talking about beefalo in the process of domestication, you obviously want to limit the amount of time spent not riding/feeding it. But when you want to demount to gather resources without a salt lick nearby you can just feed it a couple of berries/carrots and go about ur business. Domestication increases whenever the beefalo has above 0 hunger. So feeding it a bit whenever you demount should buy you enough time without risking losing domestication. 

I have domesticated beef since it was introduced and only stopped recently. I personally prefer twigs as they tend to be more plentiful and keep it fed for twice the amount grass does (4secs per stick if my memory isn't failing me, which it always does lol). Im not worried about losing domestication during the taming process at all.  

7 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

Yes, when the timer runs out. C'mon, man, let me have this small change lol.

im just being realistic. I dont see them adding a new item + new slot to beefalo + animations of beefalo carrying a jaw breaker just to avoid bucking off after 13 minutes (800 seconds i just checked). Especially when all it takes to avoid bucking off is simply demounting and remounting.  Id much sooner see them remove fully domesticated beefalo bucking the player off entirely before adding all that. 

My most recent beefalo finished losing all his domestication in 3 days (forgot to rebuild salt lick). (...)  I wasn't actively keeping track of his domestication every time I unmounted and personally I feel I shouldn't have to.

The truth is your beefalo had been losing domestication over a much much much longer period of time than three days. especially if u were riding it intermittently. You dont have to actively keep track of its domestication all it takes is parking it next to a salt lick when ur not riding it, thats the whole gist of it forgetting to do that is a harsh lesson to learn but definitely something you can improve upon its really not more complicated than that. if you successfully kept that beef for 4 years you're obviously more than capable of keeping it, you just slipped up. 

the closest ive ever gotten to a beef going feral was when i left it near 1 salt lick for the entirety of summer which i thought was 100% full but it broke and i came back to a 30-40% (i dont remember) domestication beef. Now i leave it near 2 salt licks and ive never had another drop in domestication. 

That sounds really annoying. If I have to place it a few screens away to then have to go do something that sounds like such a unnecessary nuisance. You honestly wouldn't want to just be able to tell it to stay? Are you really fine with that workaround? Its just a small QOL...

I didnt say you have to keep it a few screens away, i gave that as an example of a mundane task i have to do from time to time that involves taking my beefalo on long trips without salt lick. i leave it outside the swamp not because im specifically looking to unload it but because the swamp is too dangerous an area to frequently demount and remount. for reed gathering you're much faster on foot. the unloading is just a consequence of that and not the thing that allows me to do what i have to do without a salt lick. 

For any other task you need to do on foot you can just leave ur beefalo next to you. I also take mine on trips across the map to mine a petrified forest and just leave it near the Star while i go mine the trees. no salt lick. 

Also domesticated beefalo are still a living mob klei isnt just gonna make them freeze/stop moving entirely when not ridden like some kind of structure. no matter how convenient that would be :P 

-----

Ive never played on console so i cant say what beefalo handling is like on there but whenever i watch a streamer playing console i get the impression that its super clunky. i cant imagine demounting and scrolling through my items to click on blue mushrooms and then somehow scrolling back to the beefalo to feed it then remount... On PC its as fast and effortless as a stroke of the mouse. maybe beefalo combat is just less viable on console because of the nature of the controls. 

On the Shadow Pieces, ive actually recently done a bunch of tests and with a ornery + glossammer if i just tank the knight first (while dodging the bishop and rook), then kill the bishop while getting hit with the unavoidable initial tick of damage and then just dodge the tier 3 rook completely (or even take a few hits) im left with more than enough HP and definitely finish before getting anywhere near bucking off territory. (without ever demounting/remounting) the rook also sometimes does this howl thing every now and then which gives enough time to demount and feed 1 dragonpie without getting hit but its hard to pull off and healing really isnt needed in this fight. im also not sure if console controls would even allow one to be fast enough for that anyway

BQ and shadow pieces probably/definitely are the only two fights where beefalo combat is less advantageous. Id say BQ is basically impossible/not worth the effort with a beefalo (you take way more damage (120) than you can heal in the off time). Shadow pieces are tricky because u cant heal but if you fight the tier 3 rook you dont really need to. 

16 hours ago, Ohan said:

im just being realistic. I dont see them adding a new item + new slot to beefalo + animations of beefalo carrying a jaw breaker just to avoid bucking off after 13 minutes (800 seconds i just checked). Especially when all it takes to avoid bucking off is simply demounting and remounting.  Id much sooner see them remove fully domesticated beefalo bucking the player off entirely before adding all that. 

Oh, I dont care for the item itself. I just want a way to tell it to "stay" and a way to increase the ride timer. 

16 hours ago, Ohan said:

The truth is your beefalo had been losing domestication over a much much much longer period of time than three days. especially if u were riding it intermittently. You dont have to actively keep track of its domestication all it takes is parking it next to a salt lick when ur not riding it, thats the whole gist of it forgetting to do that is a harsh lesson to learn but definitely something you can improve upon its really not more complicated than that. if you successfully kept that beef for 4 years you're obviously more than capable of keeping it, you just slipped up. 

Yeah. I know I didn't keep up its domestication because I basically only used it for boss battles. Having to feed it everytime I needed to get off and do something got way too cumbersome (ornery). Again, I rather not have to micromanage at all so beefalo taming is just not for me, I guess.

16 hours ago, Ohan said:

the closest ive ever gotten to a beef going feral was when i left it near 1 salt lick for the entirety of summer which i thought was 100% full but it broke and i came back to a 30-40% (i dont remember) domestication beef. Now i leave it near 2 salt licks and ive never had another drop in domestication. 

Having to create a salt lick all over the place is just too much. But im just too lazy. Since Wormwood got his growth formula speed buff I find Im better off without them anyways.

16 hours ago, Ohan said:

I didnt say you have to keep it a few screens away, i gave that as an example of a mundane task i have to do from time to time that involves taking my beefalo on long trips without salt lick. i leave it outside the swamp not because im specifically looking to unload it but because the swamp is too dangerous an area to frequently demount and remount. for reed gathering you're much faster on foot. the unloading is just a consequence of that and not the thing that allows me to do what i have to do without a salt lick. 

I've had salt licks destroyed by a plethora of things. I rather not have to go back to camp to have a semi expensive item just to "park it".

16 hours ago, Ohan said:

For any other task you need to do on foot you can just leave ur beefalo next to you.

Well it follows you into tooth traps and the like. 

16 hours ago, Ohan said:

I also take mine on trips across the map to mine a petrified forest and just leave it near the Star while i go mine the trees. no salt lick. 

See thats the thing. According to the wiki it loses the same amount of domestication as it gains. So if you mine for two days you cant just ride it for the half a day it takes to het back to camp. You need to ride it again for two days or feed it. Im starting to realize Im just to lazy to bother with any of that's on me. Still, it would be nice if domestication was permanent then I'd guve it a go again.

16 hours ago, Ohan said:

Also domesticated beefalo are still a living mob klei isnt just gonna make them freeze/stop moving entirely when not ridden like some kind of structure. no matter how convenient that would be :P

I mean rope is in the game... Stakes are no different than the way signs work... Klei just has to care enough :P

16 hours ago, Ohan said:

-----

Ive never played on console so i cant say what beefalo handling is like on there but whenever i watch a streamer playing console i get the impression that its super clunky. i cant imagine demounting and scrolling through my items to click on blue mushrooms and then somehow scrolling back to the beefalo to feed it then remount... On PC its as fast and effortless as a stroke of the mouse. maybe beefalo combat is just less viable on console because of the nature of the controls. 

This is probably the biggest factor. Its worse on ornery beefalos where you need to find grass on your tool bar and feed it every time you get off.

16 hours ago, Ohan said:

On the Shadow Pieces, ive actually recently done a bunch of tests and with a ornery + glossammer if i just tank the knight first (while dodging the bishop and rook), then kill the bishop while getting hit with the unavoidable initial tick of damage and then just dodge the tier 3 rook completely (or even take a few hits) im left with more than enough HP and definitely finish before getting anywhere near bucking off territory. (without ever demounting/remounting) the rook also sometimes does this howl thing every now and then which gives enough time to demount and feed 1 dragonpie without getting hit but its hard to pull off and healing really isnt needed in this fight. im also not sure if console controls would even allow one to be fast enough for that anyway

BQ and shadow pieces probably/definitely are the only two fights where beefalo combat is less advantageous. Id say BQ is basically impossible/not worth the effort with a beefalo (you take way more damage (120) than you can heal in the off time). Shadow pieces are tricky because u cant heal but if you fight the tier 3 rook you dont really need to. 

I have killed both and they weren't too difficult, Im just being nit picky with worst case scenerios. After about 100 hours of beefalo taming I guess Im just sick of all of its intricacies. They would also nicely make wormwood more powerful... Something no longer needed. Once the bat bat became more viable I guess I moved on. Not being able to take it to the caves, needing multiple planks, knowing it could become wild, not being able to mount it when swarmed, all the times I didnt mind the 13min timer and got bucked off, I guess I had enough. Oh well, they were cool until the novelty wore off.

Archived