Durability, pros and cons

20 hours ago, Natjur said:

I really wish a dupe walking through +1200 degrees magma killed them and remove the way dupe can hold their breath in a vacuum.

They are some insanely strong dupes!

Haha I used to FEAR lava before I logged on to the forums because I thought my dupes would melt instantly. After I realized they just need a band-aid, extreme temps no longer concerned me.

Personally responding to the OP I think durability on suits is fine, as long as it doesn't put micro-management into the gameplay. I am already stressing out bouncing from planet to planet. 

I know it was a goal for many here on the forums to make self-sustaining bases in the original game, but It never was mine. I have always played where I use manual switches over automation because I like to power on areas of my base when needed. This creates a lot more stress for me when I have 3+ bases now. 

I liked automation as an option, but I found it to be confusing b/c well... my brain just doesn't work that way! More micromanagement may be an attempt to force me to use more automation, but I'm not finding that enjoyable.

I've played ONI 2000+ hours and I've quit most worlds due to things getting messy and complicated. I now find myself restarting now shortly after moving to 2 new worlds. I think adding more routine maintenance for one particular piece of clothing/item/tool in the game doesn't make much sense and is a step in the wrong direction.

I DO like the idea of suits getting damaged and needing repairs from extreme conditions. I DO like the idea of suits having some sort of negative for wearing them 99% of the day. (Claustrophobic malady)

Klei has never let me down on gameplay, and I know it will all iron itself out.

Durability...It would be great if Klei adds more building breakdown animations, like nuts and bolts flying off from breaking down buildings, a bit more kaboom graphics and animations/sounds. Worn down suits could have bandages flying off, like from a 2000 year old mummy falling apart.

26 minutes ago, marioespinho said:

can suit delivery to the docks be automated?

It is automated if you have at least one spare suit when one is marked as "worn". Dock requests suit as long as there is one available. If you combine that (a couple of spare suits) with an infinite repair errand in the station, you will never have to worry about them again, only one fiber reed per suit every ~14 cycles for atmo/jet suits

1 hour ago, sakura_sk said:

It is automated if you have at least one spare suit when one is marked as "worn". Dock requests suit as long as there is one available. If you combine that (a couple of spare suits) with an infinite repair errand in the station, you will never have to worry about them again, only one fiber reed per suit every ~14 cycles for atmo/jet suits

I may have explained poorly what i meant.

I mean, can i get a suit to be delivered to the station by an auto-sweeper instead of having a dupe carry it?

After playing around with this, and thinking about it, here are my thoughts

What makes ONI fun to me (and in my opinion life) is the path towards accomplishing something, and not the result. With the atmosuit repair, you have to setup reed fiber and a atmosuit crafting machine. 

The aspect I like the most about the DLC is you just play kind regular ONI, but you get to play it more inside one playthrough, which is very lovely.

I wasn't on the testing branch, so I didn't experience the durability system until the last week or so. Now that I've actually played with it, I don't mind it nearly as much as I had feared.

The only annoyance for me is that I can't repair a suit until it breaks. This is an issue for space missions when I want to make sure I'm going out with fresh suits. I also don't like that field-repairing a suit requires yet another building I need to either fit into a rocket capsule or accommodate on the surface. I like that I can take a "get in, get the MacGuffin, get out" approach to the niobium asteroid and don't want to be pushed in the direction of setting up a bunch of stuff on every planet I land on.

Having said all that, I think there are better ways to rebalance atmo suits. In the real world, we don't walk around wearing hazmat suits all day because it makes everyday tasks more inconvenient. So what I would do is make it less enticing to keep dupes in atmo suits all the time. Remove the buff to excavation, remove the skill that negates the Athletics penalty or make it more expensive to train in, apply penalties to other skills as well: Cuisine, Creativity, Medicine, Agriculture, Science all make sense to me as things that are harder to do with a suit on. I'd include Husbandry in that list too, except the skill doesn't affect grooming speed, only groom effect duration.

I swear my dupes take the suits that are about to break when they leave for space adventures intentionally. The number of times I've forgotten about suits breaking and then have to immediately turn around and come back from a rocket mission because my suit broke after one step outside the rocket is silly. It's self inflicted silly because I could easily take extra suits, so it's not frustrating more 'hell I forgot about that again!'

Archived