Starting Foods

In my most recent playthrough, I decided to completely forgo mealwood and head straight for dusk caps. It turned out horribly...at the start! Purely because of a combination of me not setting it up quickly and how long it can take for the dusk caps to grow. But once the meals started flowing, it was great, much better than mealwood in both space, time, and meal quality! 

This leads me to wonder, what do y'all do for starting food?  Do you just do mealwood, or do you head for ranching, or what? 

15 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

In my most recent playthrough, I decided to completely forgo mealwood and head straight for dusk caps. It turned out horribly...at the start! Purely because of a combination of me not setting it up quickly and how long it can take for the dusk caps to grow. But once the meals started flowing, it was great, much better than mealwood in both space, time, and meal quality! 

This leads me to wonder, what do y'all do for starting food?  Do you just do mealwood, or do you head for ranching, or what? 

depend off situation, sometimes my starting food is the Mush Bar, also sometimes i search the dig locations where food can drop

Depends. I have done fried mushrooms directly, I have done mealwood, I have done gristle berries, I have done mush-bars for hundreds of cycles. Ranching meat and eggs I only did once a long time ago, although if you get enough pacus, fish can easily sustain 3 dupes as 2nd food.

I'm new, just started my second base last week. My food strategy has been as follows:

3-4 dupes eat muckroot while I set up latrines, bunk room and mess hall.

Then they eat raw mealwood from farm tiles until I have enough space/labor/co2 for dusk caps, which I start frying immediately.

I've not felt like trying bristle blossom (or the musher), as I would rather use my limited water for advanced research.

Muckroot and mealwood are great for the early game, because I love the way they wipe their tongues with their tiny hands in disgust (and I don't need the morale bonus yet) :)

I've managed to rush ranching hatches, although I had to crack a few eggs (to avoid the musher), skipping mealwood entirely.

I'm not sure if it's worth it, you have to pass on some dups early on. If you're lucky with dups, I'd say take them and plant a few mealwood plants. If you're not (or if you chose to be very picky about hired dups), they you may be able to avoid mealwood entirely.

8 minutes ago, TheMule said:

I've managed to rush ranching hatches, although I had to crack a few eggs (to avoid the musher), skipping mealwood entirely.

I'm not sure if it's worth it, you have to pass on some dups early on. If you're lucky with dups, I'd say take them and plant a few mealwood plants. If you're not (or if you chose to be very picky about hired dups), they you may be able to avoid mealwood entirely.

I also rush for hatches, they are easy-mode.  It's so nice not having to worry about temperature or atmosphere and you have tons of coal.

I usually get mealwood up and running within the first five cycles, and then dig out everything I can. After I get close to the slime biome, I build up ranches and get ready to stone-ify my hatches, using the sedimentary rock from the slime biome. That and my dozen or so mealwood plants usualy last me until cycle 350, when my oxygen production just suddenly busts and kills all of my 5-6 dupes.

Just now, 2tallyGr8 said:

I usually get mealwood up and running within the first five cycles, and then dig out everything I can. After I get close to the slime biome, I build up ranches and get ready to stone-ify my hatches, using the sedimentary rock from the slime biome. That and my dozen or so mealwood plants usualy last me until cycle 350, when my oxygen production just suddenly busts and kills all of my 5-6 dupes.

Because you're running on Algae Deoxydizers?  And have now run out of Algae?  Maybe?

No, I have an algae distiller in my basement, but the majority of my oxygen and power is being created by a spom (using an electrolyzer, if that isn't obvious) that is hooked up to my main grid. I also have a AETN to cool my oxygen at that point. It is usually caused by a bunch of chlorine in the lower areas of my base, blocking my CO2 scrubbers and suffocating/starving any slicksters I have, causing an overpressure for the vents that are distributing my O2. This run, I am starting the removal of chlorine in my base prior to cycle 50, and it has worked well so far (I am at cycle 61).

Archived