Water from waterlock disappeard?

Hello. Could someone explain it to me how brine from my waterlock disappeared? I am not sure what the mechanism was and I need to avoid it in future.

Here, where the mouse points is, there was 34g of brine to keep 250g of CO2 inside this small sleet wheat grain farm. The farm tiles are made of dirt and they are feed with pure water and dirt only. The room is dead end, so I think no gas emitting thing was dropped on brine. Temperature is keep within range -5 to 3 (*C) and everything is cooled with polluted water (higher freezing temperature than brine). What could've happened here to make my brine disappeared?

obraz.thumb.png.ac16160555163fc005cde514c528c4e7.png

Thank You!

Use 2kg to 39kg of naphtha instead. It also solves volatile material off gassing and to some extent flash boiling.

If you can't, use unbreathable atmosphere on both sides.

For two tile high locks, only the bottom tile matters for this.

If you do not like any of these solution then build a 3 tile high lock with a jump so they teleport through.

Or a classic big pool lock.

Thank You for all of those ideas.

43 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

Use 2kg to 39kg of naphtha instead. It also solves volatile material off gassing and to some extent flash boiling.

No naphtha so far because there is no oil biome in DLC starting asteroid. Is it possible to place 2kg of naphtha on one tile like this? (only one side is wall)

45 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

If you can't, use unbreathable atmosphere on both sides.

That's the idea I will try first.

45 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

For two tile high locks, only the bottom tile matters for this.

I need to avoid getting my duplicants completely wet.

47 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

If you do not like any of these solution then build a 3 tile high lock with a jump so they teleport through.

This will be second try.

47 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

Or a classic big pool lock.

Same as for two tile high locks - I would like to not merge my duplicants in fluid.

I am going to test those two options. Thank You again!

IMO the simple solution is to just build your farm in a pit with insulated walls, either igneous or ceramic work just fine. It will naturally fill and stay filled with CO2. Cold strongly wants to stay down, especially with CO2's terrible conductivity. No need to screw around with locks.

This goes beyond the scope of your question, but I usually do something like so:

image.thumb.png.85f048e93893c494f10da23bd0a6a5a2.png

2 hours ago, sheaker said:

Is it possible to place 2kg of naphtha on one tile like this? (only one side is wall)

Yes, up to exactly 40kg of naphtha will stay in a single tile without flowing, making it the ideal liquid before viscogel. Even then, two tile naphtha-petroleum locks have better temperature range.

Don't forget about food going off...

Maybe, just maybe, a grain of wheat wasn't caught in time. Rotted and generated a happy errand. Then comes the dupe and drags the polluted dirt around an innocent liquid lock... (There is no natural gas to give off the tell-tale sign of a farting dupe...)

CO2-filled farms can have that little advantage.

I'm a firm proponent of liquid locks and specially for naphta as the base liquid. I've personally gone overboard in my base-game playthrough and spared no expenses to actually make a liquid dispensing arrangement of sorts to set those up quickly.

Combos I'm particularly fond of are naphta/petro and later on the naphta/visco. (Crude/naphta and Brine/salt-water are ones that look cool but are dangerous, imo.)

In this case, it was just looking at a possibility of polluted dirt happening to mess with OP's original setup.

Thanks guys. As I sad there is no naphtha yet so I need other solutions.

2 hours ago, wachunga said:

IMO the simple solution is to just build your farm in a pit with insulated walls, either igneous or ceramic work just fine. It will naturally fill and stay filled with CO2. Cold strongly wants to stay down, especially with CO2's terrible conductivity. No need to screw around with locks.

I like to somehow coexists with nature and I don't have so much space for farm below great hall. This setup seems very good if I would like to build on the entire map creating closed, industrialized system. Not this time:)

1 hour ago, JRup said:

Maybe, just maybe, a grain of wheat wasn't caught in time. Rotted and generated a happy errand. Then comes the dupe and drags the polluted dirt around an innocent liquid lock... (There is no natural gas to give off the tell-tale sign of a farting dupe...)

No no, there was CO2 inside to prevent any spoiling. And I am sure everything was quickly gathered from the farm room as merged-in-chlorine fridge has one of the highest priority.

27 minutes ago, JRup said:

In this case, it was just looking at a possibility of polluted dirt happening to mess with OP's original setup.

As I mentioned there was absolutely no reason to bring any polluted stuff near brine lock I had. I assumed it was duplicant exhaling CO2 and removing small amount of brine from waterlock.

14 hours ago, nakomaru said:

Note that the duplicant (and therefore any volatile or 1000 C materials they may be carrying) doesn't touch the liquid tiles or get wet. 

I think that's a little different.
The only thing that doesn't get wet by jump teleport is the duplicant. The high temperature material carried by the duplicant will boil the liquid in the three tiles due to its heat.
Also, as for carrying volatile materials, I don't think that volatile materials carried by duplicants emit gas in the first place. (It would only release gas after the Duplicant let go of it and dropped it in the middle of the journey.

However, I personally agree with Nakomaru's logic. Since the duplicant doesn't get wet in the jump teleport, it seems to me that the correct mechanism would be for no heat exchange to occur.
Well, I suppose it's somewhat pointless to talk about the correct mechanics of jump teleport, but...

1 hour ago, kbn said:

The high temperature material carried by the duplicant will boil the liquid in the three tiles due to its heat.

I don't think that volatile materials carried by duplicants emit gas in the first place.

Well, this was surprising. You're right on both counts. High mass such as naptha or viscogel with some thermal coupling will be the safest for heat then.

@sheaker: The original design of your post is a sleet wheat farm. It's recommended that any liquid lock for this shouldn't use regular water (this you already know). The other 3 types are mostly safe in low temperature environments (brine, salt & polluted water). Your temperature control method is sane for that matter.

Stacking any kinds of liquid besides naptha and visco-gel will use very little amounts of it (doesn't even get to hundreds of grams for most) so it's best not to use said designs with the risk of exposure to high temperatures anyhow. But then again: I'm rambling about dragging very hot stuff over water's (& friends') boiling points which might as well ignore the power of a tempshift plate.

That being said and trying to stay a bit on topic, do you have any particular build in mind?

No, It was just additional question to increase my knowledge. I am aware that it is not a problem in sleet wheat grain farm from the first post.

In original game I was carrying hot stuff from space sometimes but I didn't noticed any issues then. I guess 300 *C wasn't enough to heat up my water lock till boiling. But You know... some amateur designs of volcano tamers may force me to use some more advanced liquid lock designs. And it is also worth to know more. So... Thanks for sharing this.

8 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

Poor Ada.  I see a recurring theme @nakomaru. :) 

I wonder if dead dupes can get the sopping wet/soggy feet debuff...  Hmm...  More testing required. ;) 

You should have seen the menagerie of bodies after convincing myself that carried items do not off-gas...

Archived