Auto-killer for meat-critters

My two favorite methods for their simplicity. A simple pool where eggs are dumped, born, drown, turn into meat, and shipped to the kitchen. The 2nd is for live critters and very simple. Both doors are set with the critter sensor 'above 0'. When the doors lock the puddle of water fills the space and drowns the critters. 

critterdeath.jpg

1 minute ago, TripLykely said:

My two favorite methods for their simplicity. A simple pool where eggs are dumped, born, drown, turn into meat, and shipped to the kitchen. The 2nd is for live critters and very simple. Both doors are set with the critter sensor 'above 0'. When the doors lock the puddle of water fills the space and drowns the critters. 

critterdeath.jpg

Yeah, I like the second one. Simple, efficient and doesn't need much space. I will use that. Thanks! :D

The pool works well, kills everything except fish/crabs but you want to keep those wild and have them run their full lifecycle for more eggs/molts/etc.

Maybe you can boil crabs but killing babies with heat wasn't too effective before.  I remember hatches would live long enough to become adults and reset their temp.  Critters seem to have different unlisted thermal characteristics.

12 hours ago, 0xFADE said:

Maybe you can boil crabs but killing babies with heat wasn't too effective before.  I remember hatches would live long enough to become adults and reset their temp. 

You can separate adults by their ability to jump up a 1 tile ledge. Then, let them wander into a dropper into hot oil. You don't want to kill the babies anyway so you get both molts.

12 hours ago, 0xFADE said:

Critters seem to have different unlisted thermal characteristics.

They have different masses (listed under the "properties" info tab). But they're all made of genetic ooze so should have the same conductivity. I dont think they even have insulation like dupes do.

If you want to give yourself a feeling of fancyness, you can also make a small room with mesh tiles and 3 open doors underneath it, flooded with water and plugged to a critter sensor. When there is a critter, the doors will close and the water will rise, and the critter will... evolve. 
(I usually use short filter gates to prevent the three doors to destroy the water, so it rises properly)

6 hours ago, Hokaeru said:

If you want to give yourself a feeling of fancyness, you can also make a small room with mesh tiles and 3 open doors underneath it, flooded with water and plugged to a critter sensor. When there is a critter, the doors will close and the water will rise, and the critter will... evolve. 
(I usually use short filter gates to prevent the three doors to destroy the water, so it rises properly)

Nice idea, this could also work with steel mesh tiles and magma (+ vacuum) to kill poke shells.

Archived