Waterfowl can

Why do all Malbatross crafts have to be blueprints? I understand that he'd drop Winged Sail Blueprints since upgraded masts are essentially what its boss loot is. But otherwise is there a particular reason why Feathery Canvas and Waterfowl Can are locked behind blueprints? What would be the disadvantage of having those always accessible on the Tier 2 science? They have items that require you to engage with (feathery canvas) and kill (Malbatross Bill) the boss anyway.

Eyebrella, Scaled chest, Scaled Floring, Scalemail, luxury fan, weather pain, houndious shootious, insulated pack, hibearnation west, Beeswax, Waxpaper etc are all items with similar dispositions that are always available through science. Having Malbatross drop all these BPs is like having Deerclops drop his eye AND a blueprint for Eyebrella; Beequeen dropping Beeswax and Waxpaper blueprints too etc. I was honestly surprised to find out that Feathery Canvas also required a blueprint when I first beat Malbatross, had to return to the fight scene and search for the blueprint. Quite a meaningless extra step in my opinion.

45 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Eyebrella, Scaled chest, Scaled Floring, Scalemail, luxury fan, weather pain, houndious shootious, insulated pack, hibearnation west, Beeswax, Waxpaper etc are all items with similar dispositions that are always available through science.

Bundling Wrap, Scaled Furnace, The Lazy Deserter, Strident Trident, Mushlight, Glowcap, Funcaps require blueprints. There is nothing specific with Malbatross blueprints, the general tendency within DST is to have blueprints for boss drops. The items you listed were already present in Don't Starve.

I think it's unlikely that developers will come back to this point.

1 hour ago, Cuikui said:

Bundling Wrap, Scaled Furnace, The Lazy Deserter, Strident Trident, Mushlight, Glowcap, Funcaps require blueprints. There is nothing specific with Malbatross blueprints, the general tendency within DST is to have blueprints for boss drops. The items you listed were already present in Don't Starve.

But the items you listed are the actual rewards out of those bosses you defeat. Beat Beequeen? You get to learn how to make Bundling Wraps. Beat Toadstool? Now you can build Mushlights and Funcaps. I highly doubt learning how to make "Feathery Canvases" is supposed to be any sort of reward. Similarly, while accessing Waterfowl Can is a valid reward, the recipe already includes Malbatross Bill, an item you get by defeating Malbatross. This makes the blueprint a very unnecessary step, cluttering up the drops of a boss that already drops so many individual items. As things stand Defeating Malbatros drops a hefty number of Feathers, Malbatross Bill, its Figure Sketch,  Malbatross Quill Advent, seasonal ornaments, candies AND 3 different blueprints; only 1 of which making sense. Imagine, if Beequeen rewards were designed with this philosophy, she'd be dropping blueprints for Wax paper and Beeswaxes too; items only useful for making bundling wraps yet always available to prototype from an Alchemy engine.

As such, I don't see any reason why Feathery Canvases shouldn't be available to prototype anytime with tier 2 science. Moreover, I think Waterfowl Can should be available to prototype from Tier 2 science too. The reward there shouldn't be "knowledge of how to make a better watering  can", it should be the necessary ingredient to build one. In fact it'd make more sense that way because Malbatross Bill is currently a Loot Stash drop but suffers the same fate with the Desert Stone as being a mostly worthless drop without the relevant blueprint. If the recipe is available to all players through alchemy engine, it'd increase the desirability of the item by quite a lot, putting value to that particular boss drop. The system now isn't particularly bad but it's terribly convoluted.

It is true that only Feathery Canvases and Waterfowl blueprints are almost useless, because even without them, the contents would still be locked up after the defeat of the boss.

But I still don't understand why it is so problematic for a boss to give an extra blueprint even though it is technically useless. Unlocking a "secret technology" can be as much part of the loot as the objects themselves.

It can make sure new player won'tt feel confused about too many strange thing in crafting menu. let them focus on what they need and useful right now.

In my opinion, "Boss drop blueprint" is kind of weird for a sandbox survival game. But it makes sense.

Reasons why certain blueprints aren't researchable but need to be acquired from certain bosses:

• Scaled Furnace: To prevent players from ripping off a single Scales and use it for a furnace
  • Winged Sail: To prevent players from ripping off just a few feathers and use it for a sail
  • Mushlight/Glowcap: Glowcap is considered an improved version of Mushlight & to prevent players from ripping off just a few Shroom Skins and use it for a lamp
  • Bundling Wrap / Funcaps: It doesn't require any boss loot at all to be made
  • Waterfowl Can: To prevent players from getting an improved watering can from the Loot Stash without forcing them to make a boat, finding Malbatross and defeating him

Honestly, the last reasons feel a bit strange. It could be made less divergent from the other boss drops by allowing everyone to create the Waterfowl Can without the Blueprint, or by removing the Malbatross Bill from the Loot Stash, or by forcing players to kill Deerclops to obtain the blueprint for the Eyebrella.

Archived