After reading Satyrical364´s post about the game (start) beeing unbalanced for the hardest difficulty, I wanted to explore this change in difficulty a bit more.

Earlier posts here suggest that you can(/not sure if through a bug or intended) end up with a starting asteroid without any geysers.

As someone playing ONI on the highest difficulty intentionally searching for a "bad" seed was always part of my enjoyment of the game.

[For my own playthroughs I only consider seeds which allow for the most possible renewable resources.

Like when having a chlorine geyser was the only way to have renwable chlorine ...]

=> What´s the worst seeds you encountered so far ?

I don't have the seed to hand at the moment (but can post later if you want it). My oil biome world is perhaps one of the worst as there is abyssalite missing leading to some very inhospitable temperatures (and sour gas) around the oil geysers, which definitely slows down the mid-game.

We cannot say currently how seeds will look, it seems that for alpha testing everything is somehow hardcoded and we have the same setup of geysers. This will most likely change, but we don't know how. Also, don't count on early posts - it was a bug and it was fixed. Many things were fixed - that's the purpose of alpha. I hope on 8th we will see version that will allow for some reasonable speculations.

If you didn't have geysers on your starting asteroid, I think its because you generated the world during an early version. It seems like you're guaranteed a cool salty slush geyser an a cool slush geyser on your first asteroid, and that's it. Other geysers seem to be only available on the other planets.

29 minutes ago, nessumo said:

Maybe in early bugged alpha, now it renders with two nice geysers:

Screenshot 2020-12-03 at 18.45.48.png

That might be the case. Damn, i would have loved to have those geysers on my map. Feels pretty 2018/2019-ish to play ONI without steady water income.:D

1 hour ago, blash365 said:

That might be the case. Damn, i would have loved to have those geysers on my map.

I´m would prefer a map without geysers, even if it´s just through a bug. (It wouldn´t be the first time that a POI overrided a geyser spawn^^)

But all seeds I tested today would offer the same 2 geysers ...

=> There might still be some other factors to distinguish better or worse seeds in the current version.

[Thinking of seeds with broken biome borders (like heathy described) or "hard" to access geyser locations or ...]

27 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

I´m would prefer a map without geysers, even if it´s just through a bug. (It wouldn´t be the first time that a POI overrided a geyser spawn^^)

But all seeds I tested today would offer the same 2 geysers ...

=> There might still be some other factors to distinguish better or worse seeds in the current version.

[Thinking of seeds with broken biome borders (like heathy described) or "hard" to access geyser locations or ...]

no geysers; not saying the rest is hard but zero renewable water options

SWMP-C-300301697-0

31 minutes ago, nessumo said:

Sorry to disappoint you, standard 2 geysers:

Hide contents

1226337450_Screenshot2020-12-03at21_34_11.thumb.png.855a1dbd44eb95e35a213b33b5600ee4.png

Then the world gen has changed since last week.  I have a completely different map for that seed

SWMP-C-300301697-0

image.thumb.png.7b23dbd430cf5682999ea8fe24c63862.png

image.thumb.png.d3993d6ac5b99da8bc7a85b4af4896c5.png

image.thumb.png.62a27ec9da146c517e2d2200b9e630e8.png

Edit: Yup.  They changed the world gen. Above was last week and below is same seed today

image.thumb.png.1fb32f6ebfd1b8b26f93539a08bb194d.png

4 hours ago, nessumo said:

Maybe in early bugged alpha, now it renders with two nice geysers:

I have seen no-geyser maps in the alpha, but when I tried to find some a day ago all had them. I think that was a bug that got fixed.

33 minutes ago, 2tallyGr8 said:

Someone could post an original bugged world with no geysers

To be honest, I would play a map like this (or even the posted one), but this would defy the reason which let us join this alpha in the first place.

=> Keep that joy for next week, when the "early" access starts

Archived