Solar Power is too easy

I deconstructed all the windows in all the ruins near my start. Each panel deconstructs for 400Kg, enough for 2 solar panels. By cycle 8 I had a little over 10 tons of glass, enough to fully power my first 3 bases with solar and still have tons to spare. The early glass boon makes power an absolute non-issue.

Obviously a big factor here is the lack of meteor showers. But that's a welcome change for me. I think managing the regolith is pretty darn tedious...

My suggestion would be to add a debuff to dupes that spend time 'nude' in space:  "Spaced Out" - dupes will randomly drop current tasks and/or fall asleep for a period of a few cycles (refreshed on space exposure). Coupled with hypothermia, you'd have to think twice before cracking open the surface of your rock

Alternatively the POI windows could just be constructed of diamond... 

Solar power is tricky to balance.  In base game, they put them behind a big late game wall, needing steel and a lot of infrastructure to manage meteors.  However, since you already have H2, methane, and petroleum set-up, there was no real point to building out solar.  Petroleum is just as easy and free.

Now, they made solar early game and it is easy to see that it is the only power source you will ever need.

Even if they removed the free glass, I would rush glass to get some early solar (just 400 kg gets you two panels which gets you on your way to free power just the same.

Your proposal makes managing rockets very hard so I do not think that makes sense, and would not stop anyone from building out 4 or 5 early panels before getting exosuits.

In my current game, I have to vent H2 and methane since solar is meeting all my needs so I agree it is broken, but I do not see an easy fix between OP and useless. Perhaps multi-cycle stretches of low brightness?

I'm fine where solar is, even if you couldnt deconstruct the exsisting glass, making it isn't that hard and would be worth the trouble of doing so.   I think there are other ways of balancing it where it wouldn't seem as broken, but then again I guess "free" energy is always going to seem broken.

1 hour ago, Coolthulhu said:

Now that uppermost layer is no longer at a premium, solars could just produce less power. This way it would take more time to get serious power out of them, so you'd actually have to consider solar vs slugs (the latter count towards Carnivore) early on.

as currently implemented in latest patch, slugs are worthless.  Rather than micro feed management, better to build up to the surface and spend the metal on wires between solar panels and base

For what it's worth, I never built a solar panel before the alpha, because building all the infrastructure to protect it from meteors was un-fun and not worth it by the time I had the materials to actually do it.

I can see the argument that it's a little too powerful now, but I think it's a lot closer to Just Right now than it was before. I hope meteor showers stay gone though - I always found them to be a headache.

I think reducing the power per panel would be reasonable. Or maybe make it less than totally reliable. For example, maybe every few cycles there's an eclipse event that blocks sunlight. You'd need to either rely on backup generators or have enough power stored up to last through it. Maybe a dupe can predict these events using a telescope - that would provide a motivation to leave it up once the sky's been scouted.

Well,  they could bring back comets   or showers   but it would be VERY rare.    Once every  10-30 cycles  (avg of 20cycles gap).    Which can make bunker doors and scanners a bit relevant again.       It wouldn't be as intense as it was before, and remove the regolith  but just drop metal ore  in small amounts.   The purpose mainly is to create 'damage' to solar panels that require dupes to repair them   or protect them.

there can never be too many metal ores, as you can then use it to feed slugs.   slugs currently are not sustainable with the lack renewable  metal ores on the map.

the other alternative is  'dust or sand storm.   that builds up on the solar panels, in which they will eventually require cleaning.   as in real life  you need to clean your panels if you want full power.    so  having  small dust/sand build up on them reduces your power  over time.   you can  have cleaning maintenance like outhouses.  scrub the panels and get some sand from it. 

10 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

Well,  they could bring back comets   or showers   but it would be VERY rare.    Once every  10-30 cycles  (avg of 20cycles gap).    Which can make bunker doors and scanners a bit relevant again.       It wouldn't be as intense as it was before, and remove the regolith  but just drop metal ore  in small amounts.   The purpose mainly is to create 'damage' to solar panels that require dupes to repair them   or protect them.

I like the idea of space being more about maintenance, rather than just an absolute pain unless you're flush with steel. Plus in the past, solar hasn't been worthwhile to build even once I've gotten to that tech level. Geothermal and/or Petrol meet my needs and aren't as much of a hassle. Solar would be more viable if it were "free" but high maintenance early, then, possible to automate late-game for less dupe labor

10 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

scrub the panels and get some sand from it. 

I'm all for that. imagine the animation! Meep leaning over the panel with a windshield wiper :D

1 hour ago, specialkellen said:

I like the idea of space being more about maintenance, rather than just an absolute pain unless you're flush with steel. Plus in the past, solar hasn't been worthwhile to build even once I've gotten to that tech level. Geothermal and/or Petrol meet my needs and aren't as much of a hassle. Solar would be more viable if it were "free" but high maintenance early, then, possible to automate late-game for less dupe labor

I'm all for that. imagine the animation! Meep leaning over the panel with a windshield wiper :D

Maintenance, threats & (big) accidents = Good ! :black_eyed:

Archived