Wurt mains (or anyone really),

Wurt mains (or anyone else), do you feel like the farming system proposed in the beta will make farming too time consuming for what you get in change?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Have you tested the farming system properly?

• Yes
    • No
    • A bit
  2. 2. Do you think the new system is too time-consuming for what it gives?

• No, I think the new system gives a fair reward to an honest work
    • Yeah, I dont want to spend so much time in my base instead of doing something else
    • Other

Tbh im not sure yet what to think. i absolutely love the fact that every crop has a unique dynamic sprite with different stages, i also like the idea of crops having a favored season, i also like the plow plot although i will miss the look of the advanced farms. making compost in the compost bin is also a neat idea. 

But much of the rest like specific soil nutrients, watering, tending seems too complicated and too much work for what it eventually gives you. even as someone who enjoys farming-esque simulation games and growing stuff im not sure what to make of this. I feel like this more elaborate system would be more justified/legitimate if it wasnt in the same game as meatballs and other very easy to gather meat based foods.

Even when you do everything perfectly and the crop is in season you still only get 1 vegetable/fruit. unless im mistaken, the only thing u get for perfectly tending to a crop is an extra seed.. 

12 minutes ago, sinisterrkid said:

For the second question the options are confusing: Yeah, it's too time-consuming, it's fair / No, not too time-consuming, I want to do something else.

I meant if you think the time spent on tending to the crops is fair and gives a good reward or if you would rather using the time spent doing something else, like going to moon island, or chopping trees, or preparing for a boss fight for example

13 minutes ago, Ohan said:

Tbh im not sure yet what to think. i absolutely love the fact that every crop has a unique dynamic sprite with different stages, i also like the idea of crops having a favored season, i also like the plow plot although i will miss the look of the advanced farms. making compost in the compost bin is also a neat idea. 

But much of the rest like specific soil nutrients, watering, tending seems too complicated and too much work for what it eventually gives you. even as someone who enjoys farming-esque simulation games and growing stuff im not sure what to make of this. I feel like this more elaborate system would be more justified/legitimate if it wasnt in the same game as meatballs and other very easy to gather meat based foods.

Even when you do everything perfectly and the crop is in season you still only get 1 vegetable/fruit. unless im mistaken, the only thing u get for perfectly tending to a crop is an extra seed.. 

yeah, I feel the same, I like the concept, but if they are going to add a complicated mechanic it should give more than just an extra seed

19 minutes ago, YouKnowWho said:

You can grow oversized plants, which give three of the crop. 

how? could you please explain how

Just now, sinisterrkid said:

I understand entirely, but the question-answer pair is "Do you think it's too time-consuming?" "Yes, it's fair."

So it becomes:

"Yes, it's too time-consuming, it's fair"

or

"No, it's not too time-consuming, I don't want to spend do much time"

ok, I understand, I made a big oof

@Wardin25 I hid my previous messages to not clutter your thread

I think it's also worth making mention to the visuals of it. Lately I've been getting into megabasing for the sake of it, and making everything pretty, and all the new plants are looking really, really cool.

I don't know what they're gonna look like if I just plant them and don't take care of them all the time. Is it eventually gonna be like a field of decaying plants?

Just now, sinisterrkid said:

@Wardin25 I hid my previous messages to not clutter your thread

I think it's also worth making mention to the visuals of it. Lately I've been getting into megabasing for the sake of it, and making everything pretty, and all the new plants are looking really, really cool.

I don't know what they're gonna look like if I just plant them and don't take care of them all the time. Is it eventually gonna be like a field of decaying plants?

first, thanks

second, yeah, most plants look super cool

third, Im not sure, but i think that if left unpicked for long they either rot or spawn fruit flies

12 minutes ago, Wardin25 said:

how? could you please explain how

image.png.93df9c11307ad5a845283cc752ca514b.png

I don't know the specifics, but it is certainly possible. Perhaps tending everyday? Giving growth formula? 

Another thing of note: if you use panflutes, beefalo horns, or shellbells it tends to all the crops in an area. No need to click through them all. 

6 minutes ago, YouKnowWho said:

Another thing of note: if you use panflutes, beefalo horns, or shellbells it tends to all the crops in an area. No need to click through them all. 

This is awesome.

6 minutes ago, YouKnowWho said:

Giving growth formula?

Every growth starter formula (don't remember the name exactly, the thing with the bottle) I've made has had the tag 'Weak", and I don't know how to make a strong one, but it might be something about that..

You don't need to use the system. It'll just be slow, probably not a huge difference compared to what we had.
But if you do use the system, and know how to do it well—it's basically broke.

The toughest part is finding the crop combos for nutrient upkeep. Fertilizer is just a quick fix. Stuff like onions + peppers or asparagus + dragonfruit are the easy combos that maintain each other, but there are bound to be tons of options.

So long as you know the proper setups you only have to water them occasionally. I've been getting giant crops pretty regularly once I learned the ins and outs of the system. It's incredible fun once you get the hang of it, and quite profitable. It doesn't take nearby as much effort as it first seems.

2 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

this is a huge relief! how did u manage to figure all of that out ahah ?! did u peer into the code or something? sounds very interesting and i hope it is as fun as you make it sound because i desperately want it to be! first impressions left me very confused lol! 

would you consider making a guide post in the future with the stuff you have learned? :love_heart:

Just now, Ohan said:

this is a huge relief! how did u manage to figure all of that out ahah ?! did u peer into the code or something? sounds very interesting and i hope it is as fun as you make it sound because i desperately want it to be! first impressions left me very confused lol! 

would you consider making a guide post in the future with the stuff you have learned? :love_heart:

I peaked into the code to quick research the plants/fertilizers, but figured things out just by testing.
I might put up a guide if someone doesn't do it better first.

Wurt has little time to spare, as is. I'm already looking for Lunar for kelp plants and Merm King is a heavy resource sink, which eats more time. I liked old farms because they were set-and-forget, disease free, and didn't centralize food. It's easy to get an excess of food. I don't care if they make a lot in the long run. They cost too much time.

2 hours ago, FairyInABottle said:

Wurt has little time to spare, as is. I'm already looking for Lunar for kelp plants and Merm King is a heavy resource sink, which eats more time. I liked old farms because they were set-and-forget, disease free, and didn't centralize food. It's easy to get an excess of food. I don't care if they make a lot in the long run. They cost too much time.

They cost less resources and about the same time than the old ones (you need to make the hole but you always receive seeds when the veggie is harvest)

Archived