Building a rocket landing pad on a new planetoid without suffocating??

So has anyone figured what is a fairly safe way to build a rocket landing pad on another planetoid?

I managed to drop enough refined copper on the surface, so now my problem is how do I get the dupe from the trailblazer lander module to not suffocate before I can get him to a local O2 pocket and build a crude airlock. Is there a safer way to this other than racing against lung capacity to dig to an air pocket?

7 minutes ago, zerat said:

yeah to be honest I just made a mad dash digging to the o2 pocket nearest the surface.  I wonder if it's possible to send the dupe in an atmo suit?  I didn't try this when I did it first.

It should be, at least with the large space module the space should just about be there...

3 hours ago, zerat said:

yeah to be honest I just made a mad dash digging to the o2 pocket nearest the surface.  I wonder if it's possible to send the dupe in an atmo suit?  I didn't try this when I did it first.

While doing that mad dash while also avoiding a huge area of chlorine I wondered if I should have made sure they picked up an oxygen mask on their way to crewing it.  I have no reed fibres for atmo suits so that wasn't even a choice for me.

Also wish I'd taken a dupe with better digging and building skills. But one of those is working on asteroid 2 and the rest busy building solar panels at the main base to get off plug slugs. (You get a nice chunk of glass replacing the tiles round the teleporters).

Still at least I Iound thimble reeds, on the opposite side of the huge area of chlorine and found out the chlorine is venting to space. Camille is setting up a basic base in preparation for dupes from the portapod while I figure what to do next. She found a kitchen in the ruins now they just need power, food and someone to cook.

6 hours ago, Carcer_ said:

Just what I'll be looking at later. I thought the rover thing would do that.

The rover doesn't seem to work at the moment, besides revealing the surface (I think?). It starts with dead "chemical batteries" and no means of recharging or replacing them. Maybe it will do it once it is fully implemented or at a later-tech a construction robot lander will be available. I hope we get truly hostile difficult to colonize rocks in the future for some of the good rare stuff.

A pity the trailblazer lander has no interior, I would just fill it up with O2 with a bottle emptier before launch like I do with rockets. Also would be cool to have a small base of operations from which dupes would venture on EVAs, possibly in suits, and build the basic infrastructure. Maybe in the future a landing leg module will be available for heavier rockets to allow landing without a pad? You would still want to build a pad despite having it, since a pad allows you to load/offload all the cargo modules.

Anyway I ended up sending my miner/builder dupe on a one man job to tame the land, starting with the mentioned mad dig to the closest pocket sealing it ASAP. It went better than expected. I'm now working on shipping in some glass for solar panels.

Can't you have the rover build the landing pad? I haven't gotten into space yet ( almost ), so I haven't tried it yet.

Right now I'm prepping the exit to space, and planning to use the portal to get the 2nd colony up and running. My first one almost collapsed because I was too busy examining new stuff and messing around with it, that I forgot to set up food and oxygen production. While pO2 production was no issue, the resulting famine nearly caused me to lose dupes to starvation. Luckily a care package of 12k calories came JUST as I needed it.
( and no, I couldn't make mush bars either, because I was out of dirt, due to extensive researching )

I know this isn't the best place to tack on another question but you guys are literally talking about what I can't figure out.

I tried making a rover but uhh......WHERE DO YOU BUILD THEM?!?!?!?

I also tried loading a dupe into the trailblazer module and i can't? I'm apparently missing something here because it's not obvious.

59 minutes ago, Wickedsnowball said:

I know this isn't the best place to tack on another question but you guys are literally talking about what I can't figure out.

I tried making a rover but uhh......WHERE DO YOU BUILD THEM?!?!?!?

I also tried loading a dupe into the trailblazer module and i can't? I'm apparently missing something here because it's not obvious.

I've not tried the rover but trailblazer module you deploy from the starmap and it takes the pilot down. You can send the rocket back unmanned.

Lander seems to currently do nothing after use and can be deconstructed for half the materials required for a landing pad. If you send a second dupe you can easily have the materials for a landing pad without having to refine metal.

8 minutes ago, Carcer_ said:

I've not tried the rover but trailblazer module you deploy from the starmap and it takes the pilot down. You can send the rocket back unmanned.

Lander seems to currently do nothing after use and can be deconstructed for half the materials required for a landing pad. If you send a second dupe you can easily have the materials for a landing pad without having to refine metal.

Nope, see you lost me, I can't get the dupe into the trailblazer module to start with, or does it shoot the pilot and the rocket is abandoned? I'm really hoping a tutorial video for rockets is going to be in the full release.

2 hours ago, Wickedsnowball said:

Nope, see you lost me, I can't get the dupe into the trailblazer module to start with, or does it shoot the pilot and the rocket is abandoned? I'm really hoping a tutorial video for rockets is going to be in the full release.

When I did it it took the pilot down and I  could send the rocket back with no dupe and it landed at the home base.

Not at home to check I'm giving right steps but if you choose the rocket on the starmap you should be able to deploy a Lander. I think the module needs to have been supplied with metal before take off.

2 hours ago, Wickedsnowball said:

Trailblazer module must be loaded up with refined metal and then a construction errand occurs on it.  Make sure you have a ladder close enough to it.

Then, from a hex adjacent to the planet (these are the orbit hexes) you will have the option to deploy the module, this will dump your dupe down on the surface.  your dupe lives in a command module on top of the rocket, separate from the trailblazer module, until then.

8 hours ago, The Plum Gate said:

This seemed like the perfect thread to revive for this question:

Can you land the rocket without any dupes in the solo space farer? In other words, land the rocket without a crew?

Yes, you can call them down to the launch pad (pick them from a list of rockets in orbit when you select it) if you build one after sending the only dupe down to the surface with a trailblazer.

To colonize the distant rocks like the niobium magma one I sent one larger crew rockets and two small ones to drop/deconstruct trailblazers for the metal needed to build the first launchpad. Then used the largest rockets storage/supplies to build a second one to call down and and deconstruct the two trailblazer rockets.

On 11/23/2020 at 11:39 AM, suicide commando said:

You can have your dupe equip an atmo suit full of O2 before they leave, then they have plenty of O2 to build the pad. Alternatively give them an O2 mask, or a jet suit. Once the pad is built, you can land it and they can replenish their oxygen in there.

Or even better, have them equip the suit to bring it into the rocket, but remove it when they get in the rocket.  Then, re-equip it just as they’re about to be sent to the surface.

That way, they aren’t draining the suit while in flight.

3 hours ago, Lupbert said:

Or even better, have them equip the suit to bring it into the rocket, but remove it when they get in the rocket.  Then, re-equip it just as they’re about to be sent to the surface.

That way, they aren’t draining the suit while in flight.

Or even better, do this but with multiple atmo suits so that - after you land, deconstruct your module, and build the landing pad for your rocket - you have plenty of time to work on a makeshift base or gather whatever resources you need from the planetoid before returning home WITHOUT having to build atmo suit docks with a gas pump, which is absolutely not an option for solo sparefarer rockets. 

Archived