Babba`s player tip - Isolate volcano`s for fluid metal

Just a little play tip:

If you isolate a volcano at the beginning of the discovery with double or triple tiling IR rock and fill the room with Hydrogen ( Electrolyzer ), you will have easy fluid metal in 2000-4000 cycles by doing nothing more. I started with a frozen water world and making fluid metal would be a big effort for me, so this happened by accident and helps me a lot now to have magma :p Good gasses will soak up and concentrate heat.

image.thumb.png.1b661922758e775b383ab17ad49d2f94.png

image.thumb.png.e6eb5e2eb0074d8566aab93fc6e07e74.png

Its nice to have a conversation or to throw in input for everyone :adoration:

Well, I started in a frozen water world...So having fluid metal is also visually attractive - Its like being in a dessert for a week and then finding water ! :p

A bit similar to a player starting in a hot magma world and then finding the first ice.

Use ideas:

A player could cook polluted water with volcano heat ( for dirt ) or could create a massive amount of first steam to kick of further steam ventures in the game - Especially on a non magma planet.

I guess people could come up with all kind of usage ideas...As we still have no reactor/radioactivity in the game, its turning out more and more for me to generate electricity on a large scale with rockets ( also making lots of water with rocket launches ), rocket-steam-rooms and lots of steam engines. Rockets, steam, heat, water, dirt...Its all connected.

10 aqua tuners I currently have running, another 4 are being built right now :angel:

Once the reactors are in the game, I will plant reactor vessels in the steam room(s) to make the steam rooms even hotter.

My aqua tuner world on the left map side. Steam engines are currently idle as I`m fixing the inlet-remove-wrong-gas-system for all steam engines.

In survival it was hell getting to this stage, my colony nearly died 30 times or so on the way.

image.thumb.png.9f65a9c4140f3681b668761663c53a06.png

Water rocket launch collector at the bottom of the map, for cold steam - Better collect water from lower map steam than venting over-pressure steam in to space at the map top.

image.thumb.png.77060e8e6dc91b63c7603502f6cedede.png

6 petro generator and 4 ethanol generators on a dedicated 2nd power network. I run multiple power generating and usage networks to avoid total colony power loss. There is also 60 bikes connected to 2 dozen important colony systems, for manual dupe biking.

image.thumb.png.615d12f76824fcc1b3c8613888925d9c.png

image.thumb.png.031c402ab0c55ed775880ac30d1c600c.pngimage.thumb.png.d1c01ca629327371bfeda867be1496d3.pngimage.thumb.png.b203740e9730fc82114eb0f99f75f5f6.png

Lots of calories in reserve right now ! :?

image.png.f50829a077e1aa74c2e1e3b20f96d652.png

I try to not look at the messages on the left side.

Sometimes, when there is 30 entries I look at the red bar lines jumping up and down. They could make the warnings much cooler, like in an A380 with lots of rings and whistles. "Terrain,Terrain" ...that would be a great sound mod for ONi :angel:

At work there was this motorbike guy who loved to ride 300 km/h with his bike, I used to say to him "One slight bump...". He always answered "The thrill". Don`t know if he is still alive.

image.png.57b28c6c3869ffd97568d5bfc5f4bf2d.png

Motorbikes in ONi would be great, with some little ramps..."Huiiiiiiiii" :mrgreen:

Why fill it with hydogen?Ā  Keep it in a vacuum and you'll have some liquid metal right away.Ā  Make the walls out of airflow tiles and thanks to the vacuum, they will be a perfect insulator.Ā  Pump some of it into a metal refinery to make it even hotter and then use that heat to melt regolith.

Hi @psusi Hope you can already play the dlc alpha ? :p

Your detail feedback is great.

I had in mind that any new player in survival mode can build a simple rock fence around a volcano and then have melted material available after many day cycles, due to the amounting volcano heat.

So a very simple beginner solution.

...Especially on frozen core map, with no available core magma.

Wishing you a nice time in ONi and a great weekend :angel:

2 minutes ago, babba said:

Hi @psusi Hope you can already play the dlc alpha ?

I didn't sign up.Ā  I'm having fun with my current world ( first time trying arboria ) so I'll just wait for the beta.

3 minutes ago, babba said:

I had in mind that any new player in survival mode can build a simple rock fence around a volcano and then have melted material available after many day cycles, due to the amounting volcano heat.

Yea, you can start early, but if it takes that long ( you said 1000 cycles ) for enough mass and heat to build up, then why not wait a little longer to start, and end up with molten stuff sooner?Ā  Also you didn't say why you suggested filling the room with hydrogen.Ā  If you aren't going to bother vacuuming it out, then why care what gas is in there?

Also I've never actually tried making magma, but the stats on regolith say it melts at like 400 C... wait... what?Ā  I just checked the wiki and it now says it melts at 1409.Ā  Didn't it used to melt at a much lower temperature, but 1409 is the minimum temperature for magma, so it would actually create heat when it suddenly went from like 400 to 1400?Ā  Did that get nerfed?

Mhhh, how should I say. I am known for my open plan map playstyle.

Which means for example that I would build an 8 screen big rocket steam room in survival, with 20 aquatuners and all the machinery and several rockets in it - Which takes 100 years in survival.

So Im expressing that my large scale industrial playstyle with 100-200 ( half dying ) dupes is not the usual ONi playstyle of being super precise, energy efficient and confined on build details. So of course any gas is kind of ok to have there ( randomly? at map start ) and if the player already knows that he needs to consider geysir/volcano overpressure for geysir/volcano venting...Then he only needs to build a big enough fencing of rock around volcanos.

This is probably too simple thinking, its really an easy and fast tip for beginners starting on a map. Insulate heat stuff. Thats it. Simple. A lot of beginners dont even know of geysir overpressure if you chat with them.

Hydrogen is a typical beginner gas going everywhere on first electrolyzer use. However, I also tend to do open plan mass build electrolyzers and then I just swing a cooling pipe above it.

A lot of new players struggle with simple things in the game - We all started as beginners.

With 2500 hours on the clock I still isolate all heat stuff at the beginning of a colony, its basic and easy to do.

If you like have a look at some base pictures of mine in some other posts, then you understand my playstyle my friend :p

Wow... most dupes I've ever had is 14 or 16.Ā  I've only ever built an electrolyzer inside a contained SPOM.Ā  I remember back in the day running the hot oxygen through a pool of polluted water that I cooled with a closed loop of polluted water going through an aquatuner in a bath of hot polluted water before sieving it, which reduced the heat and SHC.Ā  My last few worlds I live for a few hundred cycles just letting polluted water off-gas for no power or heat and only build an electrolyzer once I can make a steam turbine and set up a full double electrolyzer cooled rodriguez spom.

Ā 

Oh yeah, I love the steam engines...They are great. I`m glad they removed some restrictions on them over time.

I always used to play ONi as a city builder. I recently did a 1 year break and now played for 2 weeks. Coincidence that the DLC just popped up :)

Never had rockets and then in the last 2 weeks I played a lot and got 2 petroleum rockets running in a giant steam room, my colony nearly went extinct 30 times or so. The effort of starting the whole rocket business kept me away from the game for 1 year.

It`s good that Klei is helping the mid game with some simple rockets and more hardware speed for all players by offering smaller map opportunities.

Ā 

On 11/21/2020 at 2:58 AM, psusi said:

Also I've never actually tried making magma, but the stats on regolith say it melts at like 400 C... wait... what?Ā  I just checked the wiki and it now says it melts at 1409.Ā  Didn't it used to melt at a much lower temperature, but 1409 is the minimum temperature for magma, so it would actually create heat when it suddenly went from like 400 to 1400?Ā  Did that get nerfed?

Not sure about the actual melting point of regolith, both oni-db and the wiki states 1409.85, but granite has in fact lower melting point (668.85) than magma, and what happens when granite is heated is that it melts to magma and solidifies to igneous rock right away. It's temperature does not rise, and it creates heat only because of the SHC increase. (AFAIK regolith melting also creates heat only because when it melts its SHC gets five times higher, but I never tried, I just feed the stuff to voles :))

40 minutes ago, cpy said:

Why do I always end up at babba's threads reading all kinds of insane tips I will never use. Makes me wonder.

I guess I'm having withdrawal symptoms of new DLC that I do not have/play yet.

2021 is soon there and here and everywhere - I have a useful coin box for you, I stores coins well :roll:

I love that you have a ladder going into the molten-metal fried death pit.

But aside from the novelty of having yourself a molten-metal fried death pit in your base, I don't really see the point. It seems like it would be more pragmatic to simply build a steam turbine above it and get an infinite refined-gold fountain. If I need heat, any magma volcano will provide a *lot* more than a metal volcano will, especially a gold one.

fH5pEJa.jpg

Yeah, after sealing of the heat sources in the map and when one finds the time in survival mode...It`s a lot of fun in the game to built nice things like your great and compact volcano energy design. Can`t wait till the full game is out in 2021, I sooooo want to play again :p

I find the gold volcano`s in a map to be the most lucky ones, as they are good to produce oxylite for rocket fueling.

On 11/25/2020 at 11:20 AM, babba said:

Yeah, after sealing of the heat sources in the map and when one finds the time in survival mode...It`s a lot of fun in the game to built nice things like your great and compact volcano energy design. Can`t wait till the full game is out in 2021, I sooooo want to play again :p

I find the gold volcano`s in a map to be the most lucky ones, as they are good to produce oxylite for rocket fueling.

Personally, I've gotta go with iron volcanosĀ for the steel industry use, but golds a very close second. Try to switch over to liquid oxygen as fast as possible as oxlite is tougher to make and maintain a store of than liquid oxygen. Run two to six pipes of hydrogen through gas coolers in a tank of pure oxygen gas and you'll have loads of it in no time. Bonus points if you recover the heat energy generated with a steam turbine.

The only use for melting metals would be to ultimately melt insulation into tungsten for novelty purpose since glimmering planet has tungsten. Aside from that you could melt aluminum and use it as a cooling loop to dump heat into a salt gas chamber which would efficiently be used in steam turbines.. besides that I don't think there's much more use for melting metals at this point.. At least to me.. I don't know any other uses at the moment.

Archived