Hey there, everyone. I'm making this topic just to throw some ideas/suggestions to make pets have more uses in game (besides being adorable)!

As of now, only the Lunar Mothling has any practical use (providing a small amount of light if well-fed); I really feel like every critter should give their own unique benefits, to help differentiate one another, to better suit playstyles, and to give back something to the players after going through the trouble of getting one. Right now, they actually do a bit more harm than good, since they sometimes get in the way when you're trying to click something, and with their constant crying for food. I get it that they're supposed to be very young critters, but i think that it'd overall feel more satisfying to the players if they also helped them in their quests for survival.

Here are my ideas:

-Glom-glom: small sanity aura, similar to glommer (or perhaps a bit less), when standing near it. occasionally drops glommer's goop;
-Vargling: able to pick stuff on land and in the water and bring it to you (on command);
-Kittykit: can attack birds and other small critters, and bring you the loot (on command), or perhaps it could cough up random gifts if you gave them something;
-Giblet: would periodically drop feathers (random type).

-Ewelet: gives insulation bonus, and can provide fur or steel wool periodically (if shed with a razor);
-Broodling: can set stuff on fire (on command);
-Mothling: unchanged (provides light)

All of those would require, of course, the critter to be well fed, just like it happens with the Mothling.

What do you guys think of those ideas? Would it be unbalanced? Let me know what you think.

Also, sorry for any mistakes in my writing, and thank you, Klei, for this amazing game!

1 hour ago, Well-met said:

kittykit would make smallbirds rather obsolete

broodling seems a little too strong?

Thank you for your opinions, here are my suggestions on how to adress those:

1) Smallbirds would have a few advantages: first, they are able to attack anything, not just small animals. Second, you can have several smallbirds at once; and third, smallbirds grow and become stronger with time, being able to tank and/or kill larger enemies (even bosses! I've recently seen a video of a guy killing the Bee Queen by having about 10 or so tallish smallbirds with him). If that is still strong, then maybe limit Kittykit to only cough up items, like their adult version does (low-tier items only).

2) You think so? Fire is pretty common, and is often more harmful than helpful if not handled carefully... Maybe it could be limited to only items in the ground, and only at a distance close to the owner. Keep in mind that broodlings aren't exactly easy to get, you have to defeat the Dragonfly in order to get one, so it's pretty far into the game already!

29 minutes ago, Shareazu Huss said:

Thank you for your opinions, here are my suggestions on how to adress those:

1) Smallbirds would have a few advantages: first, they are able to attack anything, not just small animals. Second, you can have several smallbirds at once; and third, smallbirds grow and become stronger with time, being able to tank and/or kill larger enemies (even bosses! I've recently seen a video of a guy killing the Bee Queen by having about 10 or so tallish smallbirds with him). If that is still strong, then maybe limit Kittykit to only cough up items, like their adult version does (low-tier items only).

2) You think so? Fire is pretty common, and is often more harmful than helpful if not handled carefully... Maybe it could be limited to only items in the ground, and only at a distance close to the owner. Keep in mind that broodlings aren't exactly easy to get, you have to defeat the Dragonfly in order to get one, so it's pretty far into the game already!

teenbirds aren't really relevant with the #1 reason players use smallbirds for

the problem of your broodling is that it makes the firestaff obsolete

1 minute ago, Well-met said:

teenbirds aren't really relevant with the #1 reason players use smallbirds for

the problem of your broodling is that it makes the firestaff obsolete

1) Hmm, well ok, in that case, maybe the kittykit should just offer gifts to the player.

2) I don't really think so. Like i said, it'd be at a small distance, it'd be at a much slower rate, and it could not set enemies on fire directly. Not to mention that, like i said before, it's much more difficult to get a broodling than a firestaff. Setting things on fire should not be difficult that late in the game.

15 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

I really like the pets how they are currently, now I can get the cutest, my favourite or the one that suits the best for my mood and character, without having to care about which is "better".

But there is, technically speaking, a 'better' one, that one being the mothling. It's the only one who gives an advantage to the player in the game as it is. I don't get why can't each of them give something, too.

I think we should observe these in game animals in their natural habitat and what they do in the game should reflect in some mild way on the actual pet itself.

Kitty Kit- If you observe Catcoons they attack and pounce butterflies, birds etc- just clean out the air... which is what I would expect a Kitty Kit to do.

If you watch Hounds in action- They can sniff you out easily and chase you down and therefore Vargling should be good at following hunt tracks.

Ewelit should be shaveable for wools every so often.

Broodling should do what Willows Lighter can do.. (Instantly cook food for you when its placed in front of it)

1 hour ago, Totopon_XD said:

maybe the ewelet could use the ewecus special attack to catch small enemies like birds or rabbits for about 2 seconds, or atack at an enemy

(my inglish is bad please don't kill me)

Nah man, you wrote very well; and even if you didn't, it's no problem at all. Also, i see you with the Patapon avatar! Loved that game!

Archived