RE: Oxygen and Food Production

While we wait for DLC I decided to do a modded run with a loaded asteroid in an attempt to make a ridiculous base and am a bit confused by oxygen and food notifications. I've currently got 29 dupes - a few divers lungs, 32 atmo suit docks, 2 full rodriguez setups with power and water, but I'm coming up a bit short on oxygen production.

Each O2 setup has 3 lines - 6 total, 1 for 8 atmo suits on the left, 1 for 8 atmo suits on the right, 2 on each side that pass through 3 regular vents until overpressure before merging to fill the last 8 atmo suits on each side. The suits are almost all full all the time and the vents are nearly always at max pressure. From my understanding this setup can produce far more O2 than I need but I'm failing to see what I've done wrong. I was pretty pleased with this setup as the ice cold O2 keeps the base a perfect shade of green but the notification is bothering me. Last cycle it says I was about 90kg short which its been around for several cycles. 

On a slightly different note, I've bred shove voles and an starvation ranching them for food and am curious if the game recognizes that as a food source? I currently have the notification for not having a food source since tearing down mealwood and hatch ranches but once all my vole eggs hatch I should have 50-55 which I believe is enough to feed 32 dupes. Any insight or help is appreciated. 

overview.jpg

plumb.jpg

vent.jpg

Cool !

Exosuit oxygen requirement amounts are high in the game. Perhaps looking at my stuff may or may not help you or give you some inspirations :anonymous:

How I do it below, the bicycles inside are emergency power backup boot, if the main power grid fails. I also always put hydrogen generators inside, to help power my oxygen factories in their own power sub-grid.

My atmosuits have independent bicycle emergency power boot from underneath.

I always try to do my pipe bridging within the oxy/hydro room, to avoid heat transfers.

For optimal exosuit oxy production I would have to build double as much stuff, so 2 screens full of machinery.

Its my 3000 cycles grown system in survival mode. I now would build a 4 times bigger site, which would take something like 4-8 hours in the game. But its ok for now. Keep in mind that my oxy site has no cooling currently, so my atmo suit docks get hot oxi. Im currently building other stuff, cooling my room would take to much (unfun ) build time right now. Too much piping redesign...

Tip for your build:

You haven`t got much oxy input pipes for the amount of suit docks. I normally give 1 loaded oxy pipe per 3-4 suit docks, if those docks are used by dupes the whole time.

image.thumb.png.021a2ead60784cfe3db1fdb936d2f770.png

image.thumb.png.22cff572af3ebd8bf70fdc8305fa42e3.png

image.thumb.png.d80bd1540212b359c194268147fb7815.png

BTW Rockets are crazy fun...I built 2 rockets on top of each other = It works. This game is insane. Took me 3000 cycles.

image.thumb.png.907d14b2df0d75ae4cce1f77088fe657.png

image.thumb.png.f851b03390e0cb6281d3b6147476c7e9.png

Wow, 3000 cycles is quite the time investment, I'm sure your base is awesome. I'm just getting into midgame with oil, petrol, steel, etc. so I'm a ways away from being able to create all the systems I want to create. I appreciate your feedback and tips, it looks like I may have just been underestimating reaching a new equilibrium. I held at 16 dupes until infrastructure was ready for 32 and then hired a bunch quickly and it looks like it just took some time for for consumption and production to balance. For what its worth, holding out on a SPOM setup until you have 1200kg steel and 200kg plastic to make an aquatuner/steam turbine setup makes a big difference on base cooling later. Even after adding a bunch of heat to my living quarters switching to diamond tiles the cold O2 brought temps back to perfect green in little time. The food issue I'm still curious about for anyone who's starvation ranched shove voles. 

Thank you :afro:

"O2 Notification is back on, really can't figure out why I'm coming up short on production - any help appreciated"

If you like upload your save game - Maybe someone of the community can check it out for you.

Also note that the Insufficient O2 notification can often come on early in the cycle but go away later on in the cycle as the numbers rise.

I get the insufficient O2 notification a lot, even though the entire base is at 1800g of O2 at almost all times.

The No Food notification is because you don't have any farms growing.  [I think the game doesn't realize that animals are food while they are still alive].

On 11/2/2020 at 2:12 PM, Soulwind said:

Also note that the Insufficient O2 notification can often come on early in the cycle but go away later on in the cycle as the numbers rise.

I get the insufficient O2 notification a lot, even though the entire base is at 1800g of O2 at almost all times.

The No Food notification is because you don't have any farms growing.  [I think the game doesn't realize that animals are food while they are still alive].

That matches what I'm seeing; typically it will pop on and then go away for a cycle or so before coming back on. I'm assuming that because tasks are always changing and dupes in base vs in atmo suits is always in flux so consumption varies. As a result since my system is self limiting based on piping and vents there are times when it hasn't caught up to increased O2 consumption.. I've got nearly 2kg pressure everywhere so it ultimately isn't an issue, more of an annoyance. Maybe some more vents would help.

As for the food notification, the game seems to count meat as calorie generation (but doesn't seem to include the boost when cooked to BBQ) so once my shove vole ranch stabilized that went away. Happy dupes living off BBQ/Surf & Turf. 

On 11/2/2020 at 4:08 PM, Yunru said:

The most annoying thing about the O2 notification is it can be straight up wrong, if you're using deodorised PO2 as an O2 source.

That is annoying, I'm assuming ONI doesn't include deodorizer's as producers of O2 and thus isn't counting it for purposes of that notification; which is a shame. Its fun to use different solutions to problems and depending on map/playthrough style that could be a viable one. 

On 11/2/2020 at 4:37 PM, Slvrsrfr said:

It's poorly worded imho... something like 'Oxy pro stopped' seems more appropriate.

I disagree, although I'd almost like that as a separate notification. It would be great to know my electrolyzers stopped so I could trace the issue opposed to just knowing I'm short on production. There's some easy enough automation to set that up I guess.

Archived