Playing without help

I am just curious. How many of you are played (or playing) ONY for the first time without any help, like wiki, forum, youtube guides and use them only, when game don't give you information, you need to survive. (for me, I didnt found in game, how long is 1 cycle for example)

What was (are) your problems? show picture from your last save. (C:\Users\...\Documents\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded\save_files)

For me, the biggest problem is electricity. I have changed it so many times and still not using good system to solved it. Right now, i am going to try system I make for petroleum generators and hope for the best results.

I am so glad I picked ocean asteroid for first play, so I have no problem with water, but right now I have 1849 cycle and water is actually getting low, this will be fun.

bug3.thumb.png.e2c5c6f5e3d2fe1333129882bfbc61f0.png

I did. I never read guides and the like unless I am stumped and cannot figure a problem out. But that was a long time ago. I think what killed my first colony was that I got too focused on other things and forgot to keep an eye on the oxygen production. I did get pretty far though, as far as I remember.

My first problems were water, oxygen and slimelungs when it was lethal. I don't remember if geyser were not a thing back then or if i just didn't dig one out but i was running out of water and alges. Then i went to dig more alges on swamp biome and they had slimelungs, whole colony died.

I don't use guides on my first try i like to solve my own problems on my way but after i do i check what others do and I may copy parts of what they do to improve myself. It is what i will do when the DLC comes out.

ONI is basically a race against multiple conditions that you figure out over time, over iteration. You don't NEED to read anything else to figure out how to survive. The *real* fun is figuring those curves out and how to stay ahead of them, understanding that everything is a tradeoff.

You'll eventually hit a point where survival becomes trivial, and doing the first 200 cycles becomes easy. That's the point where the advanced stuff comes in, and where a lot of us start looking to community giants for ideas and cool things to try. Like pacu farming, sour gas boilers, etc.

Don't worry if you want to jump ahead and optimize. That's the great fun on ONI. Don't worry if you don't ever decide to. The game's what you make of it :)

18 hours ago, Capasak said:

How many of you are played (or playing) ONY for the first time without any help, like wiki, forum, youtube guides and use them only, when game don't give you information, you need to survive.

I didn't. I always watch playthrough before I buy a game. Actually, I buy a game iif I like playthoughs, since I want something lightweight to do when I'm not in the mood of playing. With ONI I was lucky, Biffa sent me here, then I discovered a series of playthroughs that are mildly informative and entertaining. And they're always back. And I got hooked.

I did start knowing little of the game tho. The 1st colony was a nightmare since I overskilled every dup (I did get oxygen and food going, but I totally dropped the ball on skill points and morale), that until I discovered there's a skill scrubber building.

I abandoned my first 4 colonies whenI deemed them foobar, for my skill level at least.

Then I watched a lot of playthoughs, and the 5th colony was the 1st to reach LH2 rockets. Then I went back and brought all my former 4 bases to the same level.

I believe going in completely blind is a waste of time. You're not going to figure out all by yourself, even if you may reach a stable point, you're in for a frustrating experience. I guess there's someone out there that likes that, but I'd say it's not for everybody.

OTOH there is so much to learn about this game that even if you spend days researching and studying at the beginning, you're not going to ruin much of your experience, there's always a lot more to discover.

when i played this first time i not searched any help, also i had not idea that you actually need make food, oxygen and other stuff , what it ended i taked soo many dublicants from printing pot that they started die like fly

note: i had no idea that lavatory is toiled, i needed use wiki for find that out

note 2: everytime when try sandbox it feels like it pumps away all my energy for continue play this game, weird eh?

this is current my map in volcano, i started same map again from 0 because first time  i totally screw up the heat control

map.thumb.png.d70573a7c4c869e43c978d48167463af.png

@Capasak Your the king of salt water ! :lol:

When I started playing Oni I directly stopped playing due to low FPS, de-lidded the fastest Intel cpu and added fluid metal on to the cpu die

+ 1.5 kilo air cooler on top, so that I could play with a 10 time bigger map at 10 fps with 100 dupes :beaten:

ONi back that was really funny, I never forget when they added Regolith in the test for the first time, it was screens of screens with Regolith coming down and the dupes where flying through the air. The exosuit rocket man was also funny, sucking down all the game speed + producing gigatons of carbon dioxide haha !

My first colonies always failed on the same issue...I built giant machinery with dozens of machine units and when the power cutout I couldnt boot the colony machinery anymore. Since then I always add 20-60 boot-up bicycles, to boot up machine parks.

What I often lookup is "How can this and that stuff be produced without animals, I want to do it the industrial way. Gladly the devs picked up on such complaints and made it possible to also gather stuff via rockets.

Playing with a custom giant sized map is also not needed so much anymore, with the upcoming multi colony DLC. Touch wood that stuff works :lol:

It took me till now to have my first rocket ever, didn`t play the game for ages ! I`m very glad that crashes have become seldom, at least for me.

Happy ONi everyone :x

great.png

image.png.f06d7464a2076278db17d73fc0dfe7b4.png

Ice Ice Baby ! Took me +2000 cycles ( don`t use the editor ) to get to this - This game is soooo much fun :p

image.thumb.png.d47e5909f7844e755a47a739c77c47db.png

image.thumb.png.da1f1a0333bbb77de19e123df4a924ce.png

1 hour ago, babba said:

When I started playing Oni I directly stopped playing due to low FPS, de-lidded the fastest Intel cpu and added fluid metal on to the cpu die

Right now I have like 10fps average (in normal speed) and every save took like 30-60s to save, but this game is so good, that even this can't stop me :)

@Capasak

Maybe this solution is a fun stopper for you,

but you could play with half or a quarter of the map size by editing the map cell size with notepad...or as alternative fill chunks of the map with Neutronium.

Neutronium tiles are dead cells and not simulated, so there is nothing to calculate.

If you add Neutronium tiles in to your map with the games editor, it would have the advantage that you can load the map someday with a faster computer and then delete the Neutronium areas. Its easy to do, really not complicated.

I did all this 1,5 - 2 years ago, as I was struggling with the game speed on a 10 times larger map with 100 dupes.

Neutronium

https://oxygennotincluded.gamepedia.com/Neutronium

How to enable the editor ( for adding Neutronium to your map as example, making the game run faster )

https://oxygennotincluded.gamepedia.com/Debug_Commands

Map generation - Size change

Oxygen Not Included\OxygenNotIncluded_Data\StreamingAssets\worldgen\worlds

Editing the "world size parameter"

Worldsize:
X: 256
Y: 384

Archived