Need a fast ONi PC for XMAS ? Recommendation

4 hours ago, Gurgel said:

The mainboard mess with Intel is the reason I have been using AMD CPUs for a long time. The last Intel one I bought was a 386sx, I think. Never had any reason to regret sticking with AMD. Even the FX8350 I was using until a year ago or so never had too little power for gaming, despite all the reviews implying otherwise.

I started with 8bit computers at the age of 5. Never owned an 386, my first own machine was a 486 SX. I remember that Christmas well, looking sadly at the empty co-processor socket. The first PC`s I played on where 286, but I only really started to enjoy PC`s at the time of the 386. I went through quite a lot of own assembled computers for myself, 100 or so owned assembled systems in life time. When we founded a small games company it was the greatest time, always a few systems on the table, booting them with a screwdriver and banging on crazy cooling solutions. Will never forget the FPS hardware competitions, who managed to be the first to get 1000 FPS out of hardware with Quake. At the time I started to build a pc in to an oil aquarium, that was real fun.

Later at Crytek, as a head, I told the studio boss that Crysis will not run on existing hardware in 1 year and that I recommend to change xyz on our Crysis game. He answered "I don`t care if the game runs on your predicted available public hardware in 1 year !" - And that was that.

I was too young at the time. Nowadays I would have just punched him in the face and quit.

I will not write what what went through my head back then. That company is such a mess, it never changed. The absolute freaks where the gpu coders, impossible to talk normal with them :D Some of those guys are now at Nvidia, cashing in your bucks ``.

Sony sent dozens of Playstations 3, 1.5 years in front of launch, for Crysis...PS3 never happened at the time. We piled the PS3 devkit boxes up and used them as a platform to play table tennis on at lunch. Some coders at Crytek tried to understand how the PS3 works, they said "We don`t even know how to start a web browser with it". 80% of the company was mainly playing WoW or websurfing during the Crysis development. No wonder, experiencing how the studio owners treated them.

At a different company the chief programmer,a colleague, was always talking of his new Porsche alloys, meanwhile dozens of graphic artists there had to basically program the games engine to draw a simple graphic line for the games interface. Eidos sank 20 million in to that game, it was a mega flop and the studio was closed. That guy is now technical chief of the Unity engine, life is a real comedy.

Its all nuts and bananas, better just play ONi as a customer and gamer to switch off :mrgreen:

So _that_ is what happened with Crysis. I was wondering at the time. I hear they just made the same mistake again with the recent remaster. Apparently they learned absolutely nothing from the first time.

4 hours ago, babba said:

I was too young at the time. Nowadays I would have just punched him in the face and quit.

Same here. The punch would be figuratively, not literally, but the principle is sound. You cannot fix stupid, you can just remove yourself from its influence. If you are lucky.  

The sphere of influence is a good point - There is quite some companies which are run by fear, with people ducking down. Later in life it was nice to prove that its possible to run a company with respect and honor.

Coming back to hardware its the same principle: Intel saved a dollar on squeezing the cheapest thermal paste between their dies and the lid for years, resulting in deliberate heat blockage to make a dollar more per customer - On CPU`s sold for $1000 at launch. A typical behaviour of large companies, which have no passion ownership of a single person or a few people being quality accountable, people which could represent a certain quality standard and enthusiasm for their products.

At around 2000 Intel started with cpu multiplicator locks and the deactivation of CPU features, cores and functions, boy was I happy to see during this year that Intel stopped removing or deactivate cpu potential,cores and functions...which they had in their sleeve for years. Oh Intel, you threw in all your cores in this year, how much more would have changed in the world if you would have had real competition 10 years ago ?

It was Intel`s decision on always adjusting their production machines for so many years, to run all these different small batches with different design removals or deactivated features with their cpus - We had no alternative No1 speed choice to buy. Intel milked the customers well....and customers adjusted to it with "My 5 year old CPU is still ok, not much difference to now. Not worth buying something else". "Also I would need to buy a new board, because Intel changes the sockets the whole time".

Intel gave us the Abakus and kept the pocket calculator in their safe.

image.thumb.png.509818376461041c5679b524b9f2456e.png

Hey Intel, more regolith is coming down on you...Another new entry. Find a shovel ! We can sell you one for $999. Requires a new shovel socket though. Here is a compatible shovel holder board for you, Intel... $349. Have fun at your shareholder meetings Intel ! Big kisses ! :beaten:

image.thumb.png.b700797e51b5362dd89a4a297c45ac47.png

I run ONI on both my 4790k @ 4.8ghz 32gb 2133mhz desktop, which I bought years ago basically for playing ONI;
& my new T14 4750U 32gb 3200mhz laptop.

The laptop wins. by a big margin. lol.
It's quite sad what 25watts can do vs 88w.
or quite amazing what the renoir cpus can do atm, depending on how you look at it.
& even more sad if you take note of the fact that from sandybridge to comet lake the only real difference is ddr3 vs ddr4 ram.

Hence this will definitely be my last Intel CPU. I'm done with their anti-competition practices & deliberately lowering performance so they can charge a higher price, and holding back processor technology just because there was no competition.
It's quite satisfying to see karma biting them in the ass now.

Company A: "Our new notebooks now run without fan and with our developed own chips".

Babba on Thermophysics: "Where no excessive heat production and therefore massive power consumption drain, there no chance of relevant calculation power". You need to put lots in to get lots out, anything else is technology for dummies. Calculation output per watt consumption is also a good measuring factor.

I find that Starbucks, selling diluted coffee bean water for $ brag-sters, would be a perfect shop within an "A shop".

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X is selling like great candy, a super ONi motor.

Never trust a notebook for gaming which is lighter than 8 kilos. :D

image.png.654f15e16ae46ff08c285d87c78c94de.png

I have a taichi x470 and i hoped to upgrade to Ryzen 3 at launch, but neither the cpu nor the bios where available... On december 9 comes a new batch of 5900x, so i think i'll end up buying a x570 motherboard so i don't have to wait for the bios. I Already bought a 16x2 GB 3600 CL16 kit and a Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme, just waiting for them to arrive.

I might get 5 FPS more out of that... if i am lucky.

edit: upgrading from a 2700x

Archived