Wurt Players,assemble

When Wurt was released I wasn't very happy about her playstyle and her mermabilities but time passed and in my Webber World I changed to Wurt to make a merm kingdom, and I did it, but I was already stablished in the game, I had plenty of food of all sorts and etc. At this time, I really enjoyed playing Wurt and she became one of my favorites characters in DST,but something still makes me think that Wurt could be more solid as a character in her abilities.
I had in mind that she could plant or move reeds, but maybe it would be overpowered? I've seen people saying that the merm king should give gold as well, but I really don't know where we cross the line and make a character TOO good or even call it pay to win. 
(and I don't think Wortox is pay to win, his hunger is really anoying and he can't offer as much as a good team can, but he really is a good character)

Also,in the beggining I wanted to point that Wurt isn't very enjoyable at early game, but she becomes an awesome character in mid to late game.

19 minutes ago, Muzarello said:

When Wurt was released I wasn't very happy about her playstyle and her mermabilities but time passed and in my Webber World I changed to Wurt to make a merm kingdom, and I did it, but I was already stablished in the game, I had plenty of food of all sorts and etc. At this time, I really enjoyed playing Wurt and she became one of my favorites characters in DST,but something still makes me think that Wurt could be more solid as a character in her abilities.
I had in mind that she could plant or move reeds, but maybe it would be overpowered? I've seen people saying that the merm king should give gold as well, but I really don't know where we cross the line and make a character TOO good or even call it pay to win. 
(and I don't think Wortox is pay to win, his hunger is really anoying and he can't offer as much as a good team can, but he really is a good character)

Also,in the beggining I wanted to point that Wurt isn't very enjoyable at early game, but she becomes an awesome character in mid to late game.

wurt is lovely to play if you have a farmer teammate ^^ i like to buddy up with wurts on the regular since she is great for low-level muscle from the begining and trading meat for veg is a good way for everyone to get nice things faster~

27 minutes ago, Muzarello said:

she could plant or move reeds, but maybe it would be overpowered?

It would be nice if it were only possible on marsh turf, but even then people would just switch to her for a Tentacle-Trap setpiece wherever they want; I'd hate for her to become even more of a "switch-character" personally. I feel like Wurt offers a new experience not necessarily a new role; people like playing characters that have immediate benefits (like Wigrid of Wendy), so characters like Wurt are kinda like Wes in functionality (as in, an interesting challenge instead of choosing viability).

Well first off- I wouldn’t call anything in DST Pay-To-Win since you can actually unlock those characters for free (I haven’t actually purchased a single one of them) but having said that, me and my family don’t get tons of money to spend either so when I DO pay real money for something like a character belongings set, I do that to support Klei because I enjoy the content they provide me with. 

All 3 of the so called paid DLC characters can be weaved using 2700 spools which as long as your destroying clothing you don’t actually care for you should be able to amass within a month or so easily.

It is super important to note that outside of the proof of purchase, limited unweaveable event exclusive, and twitch skins: that everything in the game can be obtained for free simply by just weaving what you want.

(which reminds me by the way Klei please let Creepy Cauldron be Weaveable or even directly purchasable for a week or so during Hallowed Nights because my RNG odds of getting it never work in my favor)

Ahem Anyways.. Wurt is fun and I recommend going against the people who won’t give her her time to shine, and go out there and prove Wurt useful.

Make Mermfolk Strong! Lead Army! 

58 minutes ago, Owlrus said:

I feel like Wurt offers a new experience not necessarily a new role;

Yup, I think that's nails it! And it's a really cool experience. Because of how different playing Wurt feels to any other character is why I just can't stop choosing her. It's the only character that made me take a big enough break from Wickerbottom, Destroyer and Maker of Worlds.

PS: But I do argue that she is actually the best at gathering wood role. A good amount of merms is faster than Maxwell + that same amount of pigs, since dusk and treeguards hold pigs back. (Merms survive treeguards waay better cause of their kiting and chop overnight). But that's not a new role, and Woodie and Max are still really great at it.

I like playing Wurt even though I've never built a merm hut with her. She made me find easy ways to get non-meat in Winter. An excellent food source that I had completely overlooked before she forced me to find it.

The answer is murder, of course. Highly sapient rabbits are an excellent source of potassium and vitamin A.

I can't call myself a Wurt main, though. Wurt's my #3 choice.

1 hour ago, Owlrus said:

It would be nice if it were only possible on marsh turf, but even then people would just switch to her for a Tentacle-Trap setpiece wherever they want; I'd hate for her to become even more of a "switch-character" personally. I feel like Wurt offers a new experience not necessarily a new role; people like playing characters that have immediate benefits (like Wigrid of Wendy), so characters like Wurt are kinda like Wes in functionality (as in, an interesting challenge instead of choosing viability).

for exactly that people cry about warly, they want a beneficial impact since day one

One of my favorite things of playing Wurt is the easy hiring of merms. They only cost a seed to hire initially, and can continue being fed seeds, leaving the berries/vegetables to yourself. :wilson_smile:

My only complaint is that she almost doesn't feel like a monster, she doesn't have many unique characteristics besides her increased nutrition from non meats and not being punched by merms. I still believe to this day giving Wurt some sort of rain affinity would help solidify her as the playable merm she's meant to be, as it would help her share the rain tolerance trait her species has. 

Another thing that might help her and the other monster characters stand out is a passive, no weapon attack that replaces punching, they could be weaker than spears but at least it'd be something. 

2 hours ago, Owlrus said:

13 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

for exactly that people cry about warly, they want a beneficial impact since day one

I'd hate if she became a switch-character,she is a character that grows overtime and much like warly, takes some work to unleash her full potential.
 But about the Reeds,she could have a mechanic like with the Merm king, where only she could tend the crops, and if she doesnt,they would not grow, cuz only she knows well how to take care of them, idk if it would make sense... maybe she knows it better cuz she has always lived in the swamp and knows how these plants work?

i just read the title and i just want to say that i think wurt is great as she is, majority of suggestions that people give are not necesary, she's supposed to be a character with strong upsides but also with very strong downsides, for example she has great benefits from merm king but for that, she can't trade with pig king or another example, she gains +33% hunger from vegies and fruits but she can't eat meat 

7 hours ago, Owlrus said:

I feel like Wurt offers a new experience not necessarily a new role; people like playing characters that have immediate benefits (like Wigrid of Wendy), so characters like Wurt are kinda like Wes in functionality (as in, an interesting challenge instead of choosing viability).

wurt in fact is somehow a bit challenging for a player, but she has greats benefits
"I feel like Wurt offers a new experience not necessarily a new role" isn't it a great thing that a character offers you a new experience? Btw i always feel like wurt is a wood/rocks gatherer if we are talking about the roles

5 hours ago, ryvrdrgn14 said:

Doesn't she only need 4-5 cooked berries per day to get by? I really don't feel that her disadvantage is much of a disadvantage.

Hunger can be solved by Berries and even Stone fruit if you are not into farms, but Healing food as wurt is a bit of a challenge outside of autumn, you have trailmix,eating a bunch of honey,and stil have the options of honey poultice or the healing salves. Also, Trailmix is kinda of a great option, the merms can chop some trees and u hv some good healing,the only bad thing is that there are no nuts in winter and spring and summer only gives u one nut per tree.
I do use farms so idk,and I play with very long seasons(except summer,I play it normal size) so I have plenty of time for preparation and playing in my pace.

Wurt can eat Butterflies- Healing problems solved.

It may not the best source, but it’s effective, it’s widespread everywhere (unless someone’s plucked all the flowers) and it only takes a single weapon-less punch to obtain.

when butterflies aren’t spawning- there’s also still the trusty never fails- swamp full of free glands and mosquito sacks. :)

14 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Wurt can eat Butterflies- Healing problems solved.

It may not the best source, but it’s effective, it’s widespread everywhere (unless someone’s plucked all the flowers) and it only takes a single weapon-less punch to obtain.

when butterflies aren’t spawning- there’s also still the trusty never fails- swamp full of free glands and mosquito sacks. :)

Players can clear out flowers around their base or in areas near where they expect to fight and plant a small patch of flowers. This way all the butterflies will spawn constantly in a small area so all Wurt has to do is stand there and punch every 10-15 seconds for a free butterfly wing. This fills hunger and health though it can be time consuming. It's an alternative to the lean-to which fills health and sanity at the cost of hunter.

Merms can also farm spiders and mosquitos for glands/sacs so placing craftmerm houses at the right places will create automatic farms. Merms can also farm bats from cave entrances for whatever reason.

Cactus and greencaps exist so sanity isn't a big deal either.

Wurt can also have infinite roads with swamp turf so she can fight with the speed boost in almost any predetermined encounter.

She's really not a bad character. She doesn't even need a crockpot.

5 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

40 butterflies to kill beequen.

But yeah, helps to have flowers near the kitchen

Also butter last for so long and heals 40 (was40?)

I guess it’s going to depend entirely upon how you play the game really.. I don’t touch bosses unless the boss itself brings its self to ME getting in my business, Optional bosses I can elect not to fight.. I don’t really bother with.

I may try them someday, but I really don’t see any point behind them.

But then again I was born in a time period where boss fights in games were large elaborate key moments of the game that you had no choice but to overcome or you could not progress any further in your game.. less optional more obstacle.

Wurt might be bad for Boss fights.. but I personally couldn’t judge that because it’s not content I actively engage myself within.

As far as surviving my worlds with tons of wacky settings applied to them though? Wurts a good choice.

Besides.. up until Return of Them and Crab King... what did fighting bosses in this game do for you anyway? (Not counting Bearger and Deerclops because both those invaded on their own terms) 

My understanding of it was “Items that made staying alive easier.”

This is Correct right?

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I guess it’s going to depend entirely upon how you play the game really.. I don’t touch bosses unless the boss itself brings its self to ME getting in my business, Optional bosses I can elect not to fight.. I don’t really bother with.

I may try them someday, but I really don’t see any point behind them.

But then again I was born in a time period where boss fights in games were large elaborate key moments of the game that you had no choice but to overcome or you could not progress any further in your game.. less optional more obstacle.

Wurt might be bad for Boss fights.. but I personally couldn’t judge that because it’s not content I actively engage myself within.

As far as surviving my worlds with tons of wacky settings applied to them though? Wurts a good choice.

Besides.. up until Return of Them and Crab King... what did fighting bosses in this game do for you anyway? (Not counting Bearger and Deerclops because both those invaded on their own terms) 

My understanding of it was “Items that made staying alive easier.”

This is Correct right?

progression and being able to do more things than just roaming arround picking twigss, quality of life changes making things like getting warm in base less grindy (i dont see the difficulty on giving fueling a campfire) so you have time to be more creative or preparing for fights to break the monotony, killing bee queen gives you access to larger travels without breaking the exploration to make a meatball (again, where is the difficulty lost on making a meatball), toadstool gives you light and reduced hunger drain so you dont need to go every few day to pick more lightbulbs and you can build withot having to hunt every few days (if you want to be focused in building), klaus gives you a random boss item+ life giving amulets+gold+ charcoal (im lazy to burn trees)+ 10% krampus sack in a so fun fight

when you have expend many times picking twigs and berries you get bored so having this challenges with quality of life items makes the game fun and also you have a "quest" and progression can make the game fun for other and is something i miss in vanilla (10 min looking for quacken and the fight finish in 30s)

Archived