Cooling Loop Wont Fill Up

I havent had any problems with cooling loops up until the point where Im digging into regolith. I just thought I'd quickly tame a hydro vent on the way for fuel. But this loop wont fill with water... am I having a massive brain fart? I cant see what's wrong.

broken loop.jpg

If you want water to loop around, you need at least one bridge in the loop to give it a direction.

If you don't want it to clog up, you need a second bridge at the junction you use to add water to it, so that water in the loop has priority.

Right. all my other loops had to have bridges over other existing loops. I tried using a bridge to go into the loop and that didnt work either. 

The weird thing is, the first time i attached the pipe to the loop it started to fill up, but in 2 directions. So basically youre saying if I had one bridge somewhere in the loop it should flow.

4 minutes ago, Tiggerschwe said:

Right. all my other loops had to have bridges over other existing loops. I tried using a bridge to go into the loop and that didnt work either. 

The weird thing is, the first time i attached the pipe to the loop it started to fill up, but in 2 directions. So basically youre saying if I had one bridge somewhere in the loop it should flow.

loop stops also if pipe is full other way it works just fine with bridge

2 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

loop stops also if pipe is full other way it works just fine with bridge

The loop wouldnt even fill up, let alone get full. All my previous loops were much larger with naturally occurring bridges, so had no reason to think a small loop wouldnt fill up.

Please go easy on me. I have ADHD and autism and the only way I can get through the harder bits of this game is with help and tutorials.

32 minutes ago, Tiggerschwe said:

Please go easy on me. I have ADHD and autism and the only way I can get through the harder bits of this game is with help and tutorials.

I think this will probably improve your ability to understand what's happening in ONI.

But yeah, as others have said, needs an input to flow towards and a bridge is the easiest way of manufacturing one.

I'm kind of a n00b also, so it's only last night I really got into experimenting with perma-flow loops and forcing priority with input/output trickery, so, protip: if liquid passes over a white port (intake), it will always go into the intake unless the associated output / storage is full, in which case it will continue along the pipe. Conversely, when liquid's trying to come out of a green port (output), it will always wait until the pipe segment is unobstructed: it gives way to other fluid.

Ruthless exploitation of this behavior can be the path to many flow systems that some consider to be... unnatural.

2 hours ago, Tiggerschwe said:

I havent had any problems with cooling loops up until the point where Im digging into regolith. I just thought I'd quickly tame a hydro vent on the way for fuel. But this loop wont fill with water... am I having a massive brain fart? I cant see what's wrong.

Bridge here and here (it will gives Incomes and Outcomes to every pipe segments)

image.thumb.png.58e44c34511fdeb88851828590fc5adf.png

Im watching a playthough by Nathan's Sandbox and he explained the input priority quite well. They do some real complicated stuff in those playthoughs >.<

2 minutes ago, OxCD said:

Bridge here and here (it will gives Incomes and Outcomes to every pipe segments)

thanks, will try that

21 minutes ago, mightybaz said:

Check out this thread.  It may give you a few pointers.

8 hours ago, Tiggerschwe said:

all fixed just by one single bridge with the green exit placed where the liquid enters the loop. thanks

Excellent. The flow-calculation algorithm uses some shortcuts that cause this problem, but it much faster as a result. You just sometimes have to help it along by making some parts of the net one-direction using bridges.

10 hours ago, Tiggerschwe said:

Don't worry about it. ONI is complex enough that everybody needs some help at times.

On 10/12/2020 at 10:17 AM, Tiggerschwe said:

The bridge that gives direction to the loop can be anywhere.

It makes things simpler if you use a bridge to inject liquid in the loop, too.

3 hours ago, TheMule said:

The bridge that gives direction to the loop can be anywhere. It makes things simpler if you use a bridge to inject liquid in the loop, too.

It does. The most elegant solution is the single-bridge approach though. Personally, I just put in bridges generously, as the also serve as "no-mess" points where you can open the loop later.

18 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

the[y] also serve as "no-mess" points where you can open the loop later.

or add an overflow point if needed. I usually add bridges where I suspect one day another pipe might cross. This is more useful for loops than it is for simple unidirectional pipes.

Archived