How quarantine affected working at Klei

Hey @JoeW,

i know you already stated pretty clearly, that there will be news on the ONI DLC "when there is something to be said about it". That is reasonable and understandable.

Still it would be nice to have some kind of insights for the community on what difficulties klei has faced in the past months in adjusting to the quarantine regulations and what nice solutions they have found.

It would be very nice to have a video similar to this (admittedly pre-planned) video from supergiant games, which allowed their fans to get a few glimses into the everyday quarantine life for their studio. Maybe it would be a nice way to revive your twitch channel.

Of course this is not supposed to be a backdoor into seeing dlc content.

Honestly at this point i just hope the team are doing ok. We have no idea what they are facing in their own situations and working on a game to deadlines with growing pressure from the community would be stressful enough, add the current world situation into that mix and its a boiling pot of stress.

I do not want pointless content updates that put additional pressure and strain on the team. This pressure the community seems to be piling on atm is not going to make it happen any faster, its just going to make a bad situation worse.

1 hour ago, Sonata said:

We have no idea what they are facing in their own situations

And exactly this is what a video like the linked one could shed some light on.

If you see it as additional content that creates more workload, then sure, it is additional stress.

My main interest was seeing some unique strategies or challenges when facing corona. To give an example: i would not have imagined the SGG office being broken into several times. But at the same time it shows the humans behind the game and raise sympathy and empathy that will reduce the questions for sneak peaks, community statements and such. You see there are passionate humans working on the game, most of us on the forum already know it, but maybe some need a reminder still. And if you look at the SGG video, it was basically the lead & ceo level of employees for the most time of the video. So the intrusion into the lifes of the other employees was minimal.

On 10/18/2020 at 6:19 AM, Sonata said:

I do not want pointless content updates that put additional pressure and strain on the team. This pressure the community seems to be piling on atm is not going to make it happen any faster, its just going to make a bad situation worse.

To be fair the ask from most of the people on these threads was 'are we still on-track', with the context of a release this year. Not detailed content updates, and not putting a ton of pressure on the devs just for a check-in every month or two, right? The counter was 'we want to pour every second into the game instead' which is fine, and absolutely their call to make. Ask was fair, and so was the answer :) 

And now we wait :D

3 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Making "everything goes to ****" fun! Hehehehe, that is amost perfectly well described what happens in ONI for your first few colonies....

May many more things completely go to **** in the DLC! 

Yes! That is definitely one of the appeals of ONI: to have fun failing, learning, and playing again with a new strategy.

Some players complain that space is too difficult and meteor showers are annoying, but I love that. I really wish there were much more extreme areas in the game. Things that really challenge your builds and strategy.

7 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

Yes! That is definitely one of the appeals of ONI: to have fun failing, learning, and playing again with a new strategy.

Some players complain that space is too difficult and meteor showers are annoying, but I love that. I really wish there were much more extreme areas in the game. Things that really challenge your builds and strategy.

I agree! Currently playing (ONI is running ATM!) one of the "LUSH"-seeded maps (Arborea?), Cycle 1111 or something, haven't cracked open the mantle yet. The one to Space, not the one to the Oil Biome. Are those even mantles?

I have pretty much all the tech I would need to just leave the Colony alone, forever, and I haven't made a Metal Refinery yet. Lots of resources in the rock already, and I really enjoy the balancing act and slow-playing the advancement.

Anyways - I hope everyone that has helped to produce these amazing games is well. One of the neat retrospectives that companies will be having is what worked and what didn't for distributed teams, hopefully there's some transformative good from that experience.

8 hours ago, Clinch said:

Anyways - I hope everyone that has helped to produce these amazing games is well. One of the neat retrospectives that companies will be having is what worked and what didn't for distributed teams, hopefully there's some transformative good from that experience.

I fully agree. Would be interesting to know what experiences a strongly creative and artistic team made. 

Archived