Favourite Don't Starve Art Motif?

What it says in the title. What's your favourite part of the Don't Starve style and motif?

For me, it's the crinkled paper look for skin and fire, the square but curved spiral things on Charlie's dress and the spikes on the Nightmare Throne, and all the characters looking inches from death with their heavy eye bags. And the claw hands. It's all lovely. 

• Like 2

I also really like the "crinkled paper" aesthetic, the slightly rough and sketchy black outlines, the limited color pallette and the cartoony exaggeration. The two versions of eyes that are both pupiless and thus contribute to the overall solemn and grim aesthetic, yet still manage to be expressive. Oh, and the puns/humor. The puns are absolutely delightful. 

54 minutes ago, gaymime said:

the use of over-extended lines to express that something isn't quite fitting together in the world

I think I'm familiar with this, but I can't quite visualize it. Can you send a reference? 

Edited by Pinegrove
  • Like 1

Everything that has already been said here were all reasons I almost bought this game based on the artstyle alone. Other things I enjoy would be how the whole game looks like something someone sketched in their free time. Imagine if the drawings were cleaner, sure polish looks nice but the rough look reflects the rough experience. Also while this is a "hardcore" game, what with the permadeath, a lot of characters look weirdly cute? Like, the hounds are obnoxious, so the sharp angles make them obvious threats. But they also look really fluffy and are 90% heads with legs sticking out. The game recognizes how ridiculous everything is and has fun with it.

• Like 2

To add onto my point, the casual horror elements are fantastic; I agree the hounds are scary but also cute. I wouldn’t say it’s a “scary” game, but it’s definitely not completely lighthearted, either. I think the style has a good balance between being pleasing to the eye, horror vibes, and working with the limitations of the medium.

The Victorian/Edwardian vibe of the time period really adds to the casual horror as well imo. I really love alternative history that’s done right, like the California earthquake in 1906.

• Like 1